Con-yay Vs. Fitty Scents: Place Your Bets Now!

mizanation

who will win?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. who will win?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Trying to get in the middle of any thing but...

Nesk: I agree with most of what you said but to me it doesn't seem like 50 is actually "playing a character". I mean he is to a certain extent because of his references to violence and what not that he wouldn't actually do, it just sells records. But as far as I Get Money being a look at the decay of society in monetary terms I don't think it's that deep. It really just boils down to he just wants money, no acting, no moral reflection, he just wants money and his thoughts when making that song didn't get much further than that.

whether or not he is playing the character or just assuming a character that is relative to his lifestyle, everythign he does is representational. he is a cultural icon and his persona is removed from real life due to his exposure. i doubt any real thugs are as self obsessed as 50, unless they are but in imitation of 50. and i doubt he intended to represent the decay of society with i get money, he probly just wanted to brag about how much money he get. but as a peice of art/entertainment, we are granted the priveldge of applying cultural significance to shit, even if it aint what the creator intended. this practice makes it easier to engage manufactured media as intellectual matter.

Okay well you definitely gave me some perspective there.. and now I completely agree that they have two different styles and I shouldn't have compared one from the other, and that that's how they are and brought up to be. But damn, how many times are you going to rub shit in people's faces, isn't fame and fortune already enough.? In the popular scene, it's the "Cool" thing to do but I don't see how you can live with yourself knowing that you are creating this giant monster of envy and want. Those dudes are so successful they don't even realize it. I dunno.. I hate getting into debates because nothing ever gets accomplished. It's usually about two dudes trying to win the argument (especially on forums).

i dont want to aruge about it either, im just offering you the other side of the story because i dont like how popular rap music gets the brush off from as 'simple' or 'lazy'. and as far as the 'cool' thing goes, 50s boasting is reactionary. he (according to his press "bio") came from nothing and had the odds staked against him his whole life. now that its time to shine, dont he deserve to throw his sucess in the face of everyone who told him he would never be anything? thats how i feel about the ballin ass gangsta at least.

1 Kanye West Roc-a-fella/idjmg 930,251 --

Graduation

-- 2 50 Cent Aftermath/interscope 659,682 --

Curtis

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com

I know the first question some people will ask after seeing this is, "Are those worldwide numbers?"

No, hitsdailydouble & billboard just covers the U.S. I believe...

naaaaaaa man

the funniest part is (if i remember well) when they sing gospel around a fire shit is hilarious

I'm sorry, the way dude says it is just the best part to me. But I do agree that the do-wop singing around the fire was hilarity.

Also- to beat a dead horse, Kanye outsold 50 his second week in the U.S. as well.