Sufu cell phone buying guide. What's really good?

homi29

my 2 year contract with cingular is finally up.

ill still keep cingular but kinda want a new phone.

the thing is that the phones that are available right now

doesn't seem to have evolved a single bit since i got my current phone 2 years ago.

LOL at american phones.

Can anyone reccomend me a good phone for texting and that can go on the internet well (perhaps WiFi) with some cool features that wont be too expensive. I was thinking Pearl but it's a bit outdated now.

I have no experience with the Nokia e70 but I did buy its predecessor, the Nokia 6820

6820open.jpg

off ebay last spring for like $80. It's a good phone to take where you might be texting but you don't want a gian hunk of stuff in your pocket (like a bar or wherever). I usually use a Cingular 8125 for daily stuff, but switch to the 6820 on the weekends. It works pretty well.

The e70 is supposed to add EGE data and wifi, but I don't really like the nokia user interface or web browser. I actually prefer the windows mobile platform. But if you're only planning on using it for texting, it would be a good alternative.

btw, that's not my picture, just one I found online.

Fast as fuck and so many features, not that i was interested in the iPhone anyway but numerous reviews comparing the two heavily favour the N95 8GB :cool:

phone looks amazing. is the screen kinda small for browsing tho?

and i kinda wish it had qwerty

that's true, but with this out in the open, there's bound to be a full unlock right around the corner. remember the 903SH?

that will be good news cuz i've been eyeing for one myself actually but 200USD+ inflation already it was used to be about 250USD new locked and now it's like 480USD new locked

and also 904SH got the unlock too with everything working using the same method.

hard to say about a full unlock one

the reason why the 903SH was fully unlocked was because people tends to flash it to european or taiwan firmware. if taiwan and europe didn't release 903SH then everyone will basically have to use a extremely buggy unlock. So, if UK or Taiwan ever release 920SH or any other GSM phone from japan then we will see a fully unlocked one for sure. If they don't I personally think it is very unlikely unless people find out about how softbank sim provision and add that to the pss sim card

btw softbank annouced their Spring / Summer 08 models

people are speculating that the 920P and 922SH might get pss-sim unlock when it's out in feburary

http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/special/08spring/?cc_1082=

got my Sprint Mogul last night, very ill, but sprint somehow managed to fuck up my plan put me on basic 200 spent like 2 hours on the phone talking to every department, but they got my # ported over smoothly and got me on the SERO plan I originally ordered it with, and i'm just waiting for my deposit to clear for it to fully activate, this phone is really ill. It's a tad slugish sometime but other than that it's really cool, keyboard is awesome can text mad quick i can actually text out everything i wanna say instead of summarizing like I had to on SLVR's T9.

Skyfire is supposed to come out soon, looking forward to that like a lot heh.

still need to add some new Apps get the ROM thing + get off IE and get AIM on this joint

robokop dat oper mini. kills pocket ie.

• 2 weeks later...

MWC (Mobile World Congress) will start on Monday

Expect to see ALOT of new phones being annouced

Sunday Night we should be able to hear about 10 SonyEricsson phones

with a new "G" series being annouce. It'll be a subcompact 2.6" screen touch screen.

Nokia will most likely be annoucing the Black N82 and N96 (think N81 in a N95 size) and probably the full touch screen phone

i say go for the iphone if it's between that and the tilt. personally, i hate windows mobile. i had an htc dash and it was garbage, but that's not to say all WM phones are though.

i have an iphone now. i love it, but wouldn't have gotten it if i wasn't planning on jailbreaking and running it on t-mobile.