Japanese Rock

omarion111

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you're into new wave, devo, and stuff i'd highly recommend p-model, suki suki switch, or the plastics. one of the members of the plastics recently came out with a new album under the band name plasticsex which i also highly recommend. as for as noise music is concerned my first love was melt banana. happy hunting.

Wait...have you listened to Pink? That album is brilliant.

I would be far more apt to call it "boring" instead of "brilliant." Vein, on the other hand, is probably their best recent work (but that's more in the style of Japanese music I particularly enjoy). The band tries waaaay too hard to pull a Boredoms and it just backfires horribly as far as I'm concerned.

Drone in general. Or really most music that tries to be "epic" but just ends up being a snoozefest. I think Envy is a great example of a band that has a lot of epic songs, but doesn't get boring (with the exception of the newest album which drags a bit at points). Portraits of Past, the band from which I took my screen name and from which semi-recent Envy material took its cues, is another example of a band which had an epic, slightly droning LP that didn't get boring at all (and they did it in 1995, to boot). There needs to be some loud/soft, fast/slow dynamic to keep things interesting.

Drone in general. Or really most music that tries to be "epic" but just ends up being a snoozefest. I think Envy is a great example of a band that has a lot of epic songs, but doesn't get boring (with the exception of the newest album which drags a bit at points). Portraits of Past, the band from which I took my screen name and from which semi-recent Envy material took its cues, is another example of a band which had an epic, slightly droning LP that didn't get boring at all (and they did it in 1995, to boot). There needs to be some loud/soft, fast/slow dynamic to keep things interesting.

This is where we're going to have to agree to disagree. I hate bands like PoP, for the most part. And Pink has loud/soft fast/slow dynamic...it doesn't all have to be in the same song.

Mono are my sleepy/working music of choice at the moment ahead of Pelican. Not everything has to be completely engaging at all times.

I'm presently rather fucking hyped about Envy touring the UK in November, somewhat annoyingly in the same week as Dillinger Escape Plan/Meshuggah which is going to leave me having to do some serious travelling at some point.

the same friend who recommended me ghost somewhat recently recommended me elekibass. even though they're completely different: a fun-party-happy-go-lucky indy band kind of vibe.

but if you like the pillows, you might want to check out o.p.king and the noodles. and maybe nujabes.

nujabes ey...or if you like japanese hiphop.only group to really listen to is Gagle.

the same friend who recommended me ghost somewhat recently recommended me elekibass. even though they're completely different: a fun-party-happy-go-lucky indy band kind of vibe.

but if you like the pillows, you might want to check out o.p.king and the noodles. and maybe nujabes.

dude, portraits of past fucking ruled/rule.

I can say with a pretty straight face that Portraits of Past was and still is the best hardcore band ever. Funeral Diner is definitely among the best active bands, too.

I'm presently rather fucking hyped about Envy touring the UK in November

I drove across Michigan for three hours with two friends in the frigid cold in a car with no heat to see Envy a few years back. No regrets.

I'm going to have to go against everyone in this thread who mentioned Boris or Mono. Honeslty, that stuff is awful. It's bad enough that every other American band is jocking that style, but now so many Japanese bands are doing that instead of being in awesome raging hardcore or thrash bands the way they should be. Put down the bong and chuck that Orange or Sunn amp for a shitty Gibson and some GISM records.

LoL.

anyways, the last Japanese band I'll recommend is Doom. Best band from Japan.

I can back Guitar Wolf, Envy, Boredoms, Endzweck, Balzac, and Boris of the bands already mentioned. I've got an Endzweck DVD that pretty much rules, and Envy's "All the footprints...." is one of the best albums of all damn time.

Also worth checking out are Electric Eel Shock and Yamatsuka Eye. EES are just a killer rock and roll band, and YE was the guitarist for the Boredoms. He's got some solo stuff that just kills, although everything I have is on 7".

Ah... great thread... I stick to the psych end of the spectrum...

Ai Aso

Chouzu

Kan Mikami

High Rise

Fushitsusha/Keiji Haino's solo/collaborative work (big fan of Era of Sad Wings under the Nijiumu moniker)

Che Shizu

Flower Travellin' Band

LSD-March

Taj Mahal Travellers

Les Rallizes Denudes (can't recommend enough)

I'm missing tons, but these are definitely some faves...

lostage

vola & the oriental machine (ex-number girl)

fuji fabric

special others

back horn

tsubakiya shijuusou

condor44

apogee

are all pretty decent, but my favorites are quruli and supercar (rip). both furukawa miki and nakakou (iLL/nyantora) have put out nice stuff after the split, though.