Funky Rx Frames

dino might

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^thanks for the tip dood

Just thought can you not splash out a bit extra on the lenses themselves and them ... I can't remember the process... but they make "thick prescription" lenses thinner...

whoa ferreal? im naive to this. before my wayfarer raybans got stolen i was wanting to just stick my normal lenses in them, but itd never work with them being as thick as they are. im a -7.00 in both eyes just about.

it's kinna a waste to put diff. lenses in wayfarers. the frame isn't all that great usually ppl give rayban cred 4 their optics.

btw ray ban has sum cool glasses i forget what they're called but they have like a holographic frame and it's dope.

it's kinna a waste to put diff. lenses in wayfarers. the frame isn't all that great usually ppl give rayban cred 4 their optics.

well i dont know anything about glasses. and they were wayfarer frames i already had so i didnt care to much. but now theyre gone anyway, and i still dont know anything, thats what this thread is for

damn, and i thought i was bad (-5.0 in both). when i get some funds i'm getting lasiked.

yeah, and they keep getting worse too. i cant get lasik until my mid 30s about the doc guessed, when they FINALLY stop going blind

Just thought can you not splash out a bit extra on the lenses themselves and them ... I can't remember the process... but they make "thick prescription" lenses thinner...

They don't actually MAKE the prescription lenses thinner. What they just do is cut your lenses our from "more dense" lenses that are acquired from distributors (ie. Nikon/Essilor). This "extra" amount of money you pay doesn't go to the pockets of the optician, but actually just enough to cover the extra amount the distributors charge to the optical store for the "more dense" lenses.

^thanks for the tip dood

whoa ferreal? im naive to this. before my wayfarer raybans got stolen i was wanting to just stick my normal lenses in them, but itd never work with them being as thick as they are. im a -7.00 in both eyes just about.

-7.00 isn't really THAT bad at all. It's bad, but not THAT bad. -10.00 or more is considered legally blind btw.

As for funky eyeglass frames, how about Prada ones made of carbon fiber that I have up for sale? http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=32111

-7.00 isn't really THAT bad at all. It's bad, but not THAT bad. -10.00 or more is considered legally blind btw.

As for funky eyeglass frames, how about Prada ones made of carbon fiber that I have up for sale? http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=32111

its pretty damn bad. i cant see a thing without cantacts or glasses. but whatever, ive been told im legally blind, as in itd be illegal for me to drive a car and such w/o glasses/contacts

im not sold on those temples..

im -3/-7

I feel your pain about thick-ass-lenses.

I haven't seen any good frames, I've been looking to get a second pair... I was thinking of these costellos-esque ones by coach. Cazals would be nice, if you find a non-mafai-guido style.

btw ray ban has sum cool glasses i forget what they're called but they have like a holographic frame and it's dope.

the quality of ray ban wayfarer frames is very high compared to most eyewear frames on the market, especially designer glasses costing 250+ they're usually shit, never exceeding rayban's quality.

check out http://moscots.com saw some cool glasses there but might not be your style.

dino - what rira is referring to are "high index" lenses. your optician should be able to talk to you about them at some length.

rayban, like any other large company, has a range of quality. they've reissued the original wayfarer this year: model 2140, hand made in italy, and worth every penny at ~$100.

where can i get these rereleases? they're black right?

they come in lots of colors, actually: black, tortoise, red, white; polarized or non-polarized lenses.

just google "ray-ban 2140" or "rb2140."

most people will probably want the 50mm size, but they also come in 54mm.

where can i get these rereleases? they're black right?

You can get them at most big retail opticians like Lenscrafters. I got these for my Rx sunglasses about a month or two ago. Lenscrafters has a coupon for $100 off any Rx sunglasses so with that I basically got the frames for free.

I highly doubt the frames are actually made in Italy. I'm pretty sure they're made in a Chinese factory and as long as there's some assembling/post production done in Italy they get to be stamped as "Made in Italy." Still great quality for the money though.

One guy I know has the -7.0 prescription, and just got a pair of high-index lenses with a new pair of glasses. I think it was in the area of 400$ (for just lenses)? Maybe he just got ripped off though - but if you go to any optical, they can give you a rough estimate of the cost of high-index lenses (it will differ slightly due to the brand of lenses you get, and the cut to fit the frame, etc.).

Also, eye surgery is quite affordable now too, as someone had mentioned. Not everyone is elgible to have the procedure done, however - I believe you can book an examination at these places for free to see if you're a good candidate.

This isn't that related, but while we're on the topic of wayfarers, maybe someone can help me out. What's the difference between the models 2113 and 2140? I know there's Wayfarers and Wayfarer IIs, but I think IIs have a totally different model #...

2113's are discontinued, though there is still stock available. they have flex temples, and i believe the glasses are slightly smaller than the originals (probably along the same design lines as the wayfarer 2?).

I've bought about 6 pairs of glasses from SFH over the last year, i've not only been very happy with all of them, i've never seen another person wearing the same pair.

http://spectaclesforhumans.blogspot.com/

Kiya should stop buying from the discontinued bin in the back of the store, maybe THEN he'd see someone else wear same glasses. Last pair of DKNY frames he bought was discontinued back in 1997, He also likes Joseph Abboud framnes for their sexy/casual/comfort look.

Unlike Mr.Thrifto, I wear new styles only and regularly run into people, several times a day on a good day, that wear identical frames. I don't like to stand out.

p.s.. We might have to go to LA soon. Looks like we have 6 joints to examine. Details Thursday. I am moving today, tomorrow ahhhhhhhhh.....:eek:

p.s.. We might have to go to LA soon. Looks like we have 6 joints to examine. Details Thursday. I am moving today, tomorrow ahhhhhhhhh.....:eek:

Wait, new store in LA? Word? Huh?

I'll agree with Kiya though. Although I have never ordered anything from Specs for Humans, they have some great customer service.

I'm holdin' out for the Linda Farrow/Raf callabo son!

Wait, new store in LA? Word? Huh?

Kiya and I have been chewing on this for some time now and, given retail Gods permit, we plan to open in LA either side by side or even under one roof. Needless to say it is a challenge, but we can definitely make it happen and with a bigger bang than your average firecracker.

p.s. Thanks for customer service remark, means a lot.