soulfood

mizanation

if you want some really, really good soul food, go up to 145th street to copeland's. go to the diner area, not the bar. and don't go too late, cuz you might get juxed! i recommend their smothered chicken.

Copeland closed about a week ago.

Copeland closed about a week ago.

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*edit*

that fucking sucks. sylvia's is overrated and amy ruth's is pricey. mana's isn't that great. i haven't been to hip hop chow, but i hope it's good. one by one all the soul food joints are disappearing. man, and new york is the birthplace of chicken and waffles. this fucking sucks.

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*edit*

that fucking sucks. sylvia's is overrated and amy ruth's is pricey. mana's isn't that great. i haven't been to hip hop chow, but i hope it's good. one by one all the soul food joints are disappearing. man, and new york is the birthplace of chicken and waffles. this fucking sucks.

blame it on gentrification, whities don't want no trans fat laden chicken, they want a food co-ops aka organized slavery.

Mac & cheese, cornbread, sweet tato, fried chicken and waffles. Love all that shit, just don't eat it that much.

Roscoes be the closest thing here fam.

I'm not too sure about the quality as of recent, but you can always try Aunt Kizzies in the Marina Del Rey for some soul food.

Amy Ruth's all day...

My girl and I actually saw Hip Hop Chow for the first time a week ago (passing by in a cab)...we were confused...but hey, it's worth a shot. Although I do feel weird about "soul food" right off of St. Mark's.

I'm good though, my girl's grandmother lives up on 143rd off of broadway. Homecooked soul food is the best. But as I said, Amy Ruth's is dumb good...they know how to cook their greens, unlike too many other people.

And to all the people who are likely to be "victims" uptown around 45th...here's how to avoid a jux: Turn to the jux'er(s) (or even better...walk up to them before they get to you) and ask 'em if they "got that piff"...they will definitely say "yes." This will throw them off of their original plans to rob you and make them want to serve you. Don't get your hopes up just yet though, you created a diversion, but now it is up to you to either shell out $10 for a dime of some stringy wet haze or decline it sayin' "nah I'm good, this ain't that puu-day...119th and 2nd got it"...the latter would probably be unwise since they originally wanted to get you. Just take the dime...get your meal on...and think over your three choices...1. get a Vanilla Dutch and burn it down...2. go out and stand in one place for a few minutes...then re-sell it to the first person who asks you if you got that...3. go down to lower West harlem 110th - 125th and do the same as #2, but sell it for $15 and say it's that "puu-day" (it's wet, the buyer will believe you).

Yay.

blame it on gentrification, whities don't want no trans fat laden chicken, they want a food co-ops aka organized slavery.

I dont think that gentrification is the problem - people's eating habits have changed. Soul food just isn't as popular mostly due to it's rep as being unhealthy. There's still lots of good soul food left in harlem anyways. I recommend this place:

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=31&restaurantid=40794&neighborhoodid=0&cuisineid=58

Not the cheapest but the food is really excellent