pedigree dogs

anyone here care for dogs?

i just moved to the countryside and am thinking about a new addition to the highstreet ranks, namely, a shiba inu or mame shiba..

i was just thinking about pedigree/pure breeders, and the complications of often breeding for aesthetic rather than healthiness. is this a true assumption to make? - that pedigree/pure-breed dogs bread from the same gene pool countless times will be more suceptable [spelling?] to health problems?

anyone know of any reputable kennels in the uk with shibas?

i am willing to bring one over from japan if its health will be better, i mean, they are an ancient breed and i would have thought one from japan is much less likely to have undergone such hardcore selective breeding (compared to uk - where there is alot less of shiba dogs to become the 'parents')

anyone have any insights on the complications of bringing a dog overseas?

it can stay at a comfortable and friendly house japan side (girlfriends parents) whilst any Vetenary stuff is getting cleared etc. so it wont need to be horribly quaruntined for months etc.

any imput?

cheers

Not sure about the UK but here in Canada the shelters have plenty of young dogs in need of homes. If I lived in the country I would be adopting rather then paying to much for an inbred purebreed. Beside if your not showing or breeding who cares, get a mix and save a life. My little sister ended up getting a St.Bernard/Ridgeback mix and that dog is incredable.

Where I live you can get a dog from the spca for 250 bucks and it comes with all shots, fixed, tatooed and micro chipped.

eh, you might want a brand new, pedigree puppy for status/aesthetic reasons, but it's really much more admirable to adopt an older dog from a shelter or humane society. they need homes and love, and are much less likely to get them than puppies made just for sale.

I adopted my dog from the local humane society. he's a pug mixed with something, has bad hips/breathing/eyes that require alot of care, but he brings me so much more joy than any pedigree dog could because even though he had an unpleasant abusive life before, I've given him the constancy and love that he needs, and get the same from him.

greetings thomas

we live between japan and the uk and have a half Chihuahua half Papillon dog which we bought from here (Japan)

as the wife cant stand leaving here in Japan when we are in the uk the inital process getting her into the uk werent the easiest.

briefly you need a microchip implanted into your dog than have a blood-test and then wait 6 months for a better explanation i recommend you read here http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/procedures/owners.htm

anything else feel free to ask

your kind of missing the point.. i am asking if anyone has any experience with pure breed puppies having respiratory, heart, etc. problems and weekness due to them being bread from the same blood line to long and their bad genotypes being multiplied (inbreeding)..

as for picking up from a shelter, i will probably try to find one when im out in japan (which is likely to be a mix, but considering the shiba is the native dog - and ancient bloodline (very little health problems because it was never actually bread like 90% of other dog breeds) there will surely be alot in jp shelters..

sure you feel nice doing that, but the next day your stil eating a steak..

EDIT: thanks for the link baba :)

All of the purebred dogs that my parents or I have owned have had complications. All of the shelter dogs we rescued have had none, which is why we haven't had a purebred dog since. That and I just feel better about saving an animal.

i am asking if anyone has any experience with pure breed puppies having respiratory, heart, etc. problems and weekness due to them being bread from the same blood line to long and their bad genotypes being multiplied (inbreeding)..

im going to have to use this fact against people who promote white supremacy.

My Stepfather bred dogs back in the day and I grew up with many purebred dogs. We mostly had St. Bernards and few Rottweilers so I have some experience with bigger dogs. We never had any heart problems but we had few dogs that had posture and bone problems. This is pretty common with bigger dogs and we never had same problem with two siblings. There is really no way to be perfectly safe when choosing a dog. Make sure you see the parents and maybe older siblings. You can call owners and most of them will be very helpful with any information.

i love shiba inus. in general they have very few health problems and will live quite a long time compared to other breeds. you should make sure they are eye and hip tested by any breeder you buy from though as there have been some cases recently of glaucoma. the better uk breeders will not keep using the same gene pool for every mating and will select dogs from other kennels accordingly. some direct from japan.

there quite a few decent breeders in the uk and depending on where you live probably some quite local, the main problem you will find is availablity of puppies due to small litters. www.champdogs.co.uk has a breeder search. go to guided search, utility, then japanese shiba inu.

gill bingham at steldawn is the uk shiba rescue advisor if you wanted to chat to her.