Nirvana Appreciation Thread

homi29

I was just thinking about this band today, and how i grew up loving them so much. I still throw on their albums every now and then

and I think "drain you" is one of the best songs on nevermind but noone ever thinks of it

also incesticide gets no love, neither does bleach

i envy anyone who was able to see this band live

maybe even more than just the music i lament the fact that after nirvana , rock music seems to have become so increasingly fractionized that there are no more bigger than life bands or frontmen

the concept of the rock star died with Kurt imo

bleach is killer

that video LIVE! TONIGHT! IN CONCERT! is a good watch

i had a nirvana backlash after nevermind and i regret that i missed out on their subsequent albums------i had to go back later to check them out

and i regret not going to see them when they played city gardens in 1992---------i just should have, i don't know what kept me from going....

Drain you is amazing good fun. Def one of mz favoirtes. anuraism too... however thats spelled... the rio tapes are ill as hell. all the demo stuff, gray goose is a lot of fun to me, not that its so good, but its them growing up, and was cool to hear for that reason.

I saw them a bunch of times here and there 91-92 ... they ticked all the boxes I had then live, in person and on record and I still think that even though my musical taste would have moved on regardless of whether Cobain died or not, his development as an artist would've been interesting.

The Pixies were an obvious influence even back then but I've never heard the

Killing Joke plagiarization theory before.

The main guitar riff on 'Come As You Are' is ripped note for note from Killing Joke's 'Eighties'. Kurt admitted it in interviews, and stated that he was afraid of releasing

the song as single because of this.

Jaz Coleman and KJ allegedly tried to sue, but didn't have the finances nor the clout

to back them up. That, and Jaz was on friendly terms with Kurt, and Kurt admitted to him straight out that they'd plagiarized the song 'Eighties'.

A decade after this, Dave Grohl served as KJ's drummer for their comeback album.

I would consider this a grave injustice, but that album is skullfuckingly good. It served

as a kind of 'burying the hatchet' sort of symbol, really, but fuck do I hate Dave Grohl as a person.

i still love them

they changed pop culture more than any other american band before or since, released probably the rawest and weirdest record ever to hit no. 1, and for a brief period even got suburban mall kids to pretend to give a shit about delta blues

it's easy to get too caught up in all the awful shit that followed; it's harder to go back and appreciate kurt's music on its own merits, which are close to unparalleled, but it's more than worth it

diddy, give muddy banks of the wishkah a listen; it's intense

i used to be a big nirvana fan in middle school too... but that's not what this thread reminded me of...

did you have kids in your highschool that would come in to school on the anniversary kurt cobain's death and light candles and sit in a circle in the halls crying? douche bags.

i didnt say nirvana used killing joke as an influence, i was just referring to the fact that they copied a riff from them.

not that this is the only reason i hate nirvana.

i think, to be clear, i can appreciate nirvana's music, but as a band and a cultural entity, i hate them with a passion.

there's only so many riffs out there, but kurt phoned up his pal jaz and said "oh hey dude, this song is coming out, and it sounds a little like... okay a lot like one of your songs. also, i'm going to blow my brains out in a few months. PEACE!"

I used to be a photographer's assistant, and the photographer I used to work for shot Nirvana in his studio. He had no idea who they were and what the big Hoo-Ha was about until I told him, a couple of years later. He's still got the photos, and being able to see them was fantastic.

I was never that into them. But the one thing i've not liked about them which I've kind of pulled from some random articles...is that Kurt was this incredibly ambitious musician/artist. He wanted to be famous and make money and have the biggest band around. Whereas alot of his music encouraged an entire generation to have no ambition, make no money, while having little or no social consciousness. I'm not very educated on this so I could be wrong, but I don't remember him standing for anything particularly lofty. They had this huge aura around them that seems to me was completely fabricated. Dave Grohls dad was a republican politician or something. I dunno....I just always assumed their rock and roll myth could be deconstructed pretty easily. And Kurts cross to bear was Crohns disease? I know a couple people with crohns disease. They're not on heroin to deal with it.......just some not so well thought out rantings...

^ Some of Nirvana's best live songs were covers of Eugene Kelly songs.

... Son of a gun ... Molly's lips ...

agreed, and nirvana did a greaat cover of them too!

the vasellines and bmx bandits kind of ruled my jr high days. now i have to dig through my CDs...