2007 & the pussification of bands

I've been thinking about this lately, and thought I'd bounce it off of the sufu'ers...

The unfortunate trend this year in music, has been the pussification of once-edgy bands into broad, mushy soundscapes, big arrangements, and lost-afloat-awash-in-reverb treatments.

Case in point, Bloc Party's Weekend In The City, Editors' End Has A Start, and Interpol's Our Love To Admire.

Now, I personally am spinning the later two albums alot lately, and this is not to say the sounds respective to those bands have been completly homogonized, as throughout these albums there are glimmers of what once was, but it's safe to say that this forced-BIG sound has been far too prevalent this year.

The only band that really pulled of the transition well was Arcade Fire.

If said producers, Jacknife Lee, Paul Epworth, & Rich Costey (Bloc Party, Editors & Interpol, respectively) wanted to bring a larger sound to the table, why not use the big production value to compliment the edge that these bands have/had, rather than squash/drown/smother it out?

I'd love to hear the bite of a song 'Obstacle 1' translated with this larger sound, or Bloc Party's 'Like Eating Glass' blended with the depth of 'Sunday'

does anyone else feel this way?

I donno, I don't care for any of the bands mentioned but, uh, obviously a weekend in the city was a more atmospheric record then slient alarm, but that wasn't decided in production, I am sure.

I think BP wanted to go with that kind of sound as you can here it on the b side of slient alarm, and I think that is what bloc party is all about, unfortunately.

As the first few tracks on SA felt forced to me, like bloc party just wanted to get those tracks out of the way, kind of? I think they knew they couldn't sell themselfs without jams like helicopter and positive tension.

And what about that second Times New Viking album, huh? They totally dumbed down the distortion.

well, its a matter of taste for both the artist and the audience. many times fans expect a bigger album after a band has put out a good solid first record. maybe it takes up to the third record (in the case of interpol) to reach the comfort in recording in such a way (and the comfort of a larger budget), but historically, it happens a lot. The Soft Machine by the Doors is a perfect example. after recording it, Jim Morrison and Ray Manzarek went back and found that the album lacked the big chunky sound that the first 3 albums had. their record label with its large budget and infinite wisdom (...), suggested that they try what many bands with smash hit albums do - get a bigger sound. in 1968, horns were in, examples include bands like Sly & the Family Stone and Long Time Comin' by The Electric Flag (featuring mike bloomfield on guitar who also appeared on the horn-galore jam-hit Super Session with Steven Stills and and Al Cooper), and so the Doors recorded with both a live bassist, multiple pianists/organists (at Manzarek's discretion), and large string arrangments as well. so given the opportunity they upped the anti by giving it a bigger (and cheesier) sound, thus resulting in a hit album.

usually followups have a much larger sound, whether it works or not, it depends on the band. interpol can get away with it because they have a lot of pomp and are very theatrical in their delivery. it doesn't really work with bands like bloc party and the editors because they wanted a sound that expands, rather than is expansive. many times these albums don't age well, as referenced by The Soft Machine by the Doors, but from time to time, you get a great one - Sgt. Pepper'sanyone?

Return to Cookie Mountain is fucking excellent. I find Bloc Party to be pretentious and a little juvenile. They have always been pussies.

Turning away from the light

Becoming adult

Turning into myself

I wanted to bite not destroy

To feel her underneath

Turning into the light

Blah. However, they play their instruments well (particularly their drummer) and have a happy attitude. I like a few of their remixed songs for working out. I think that there might be a bit of a "pussification" going on in throughout the world, in general.

rock music is dead

rock stars are dead (at least any one worth their salt)

the albums and artists talked about this thread aren't bad, but i find it kind of annoying that no great rock bands are able to make an impact outside of a certain scene or segment of society

The only band that really pulled of the transition well was Arcade Fire.

...What?

Another one is storytelling by belle and Sebastian, I fucking lothe that record.

I don't really like b&s anymore though.

B&S have their ups and downs. Kinda inconsistant, but The Life Pursuit wasn't too bad. Nothing like IYFS but not as bad as storytelling. 'Sides, B&S were never rock.

I hated Art Brut's second album though. The reviewers are finding it okay, but I don't like the direction they're going. It just doesn't sound like Art Brut anymore. More like, an Eddie Argos offshoot or something. Too poppy, more complex, etc. Art Brut's a punk band, they should keep to what they're good at and in their own words "rock out".