Stereotypes of a black males misunderstood: Is jmatsu really a racist?

Do blacks really only eat at kfc and mcdonalds, sell drugs, have 13 inch cocks and leave their baby's mamas?

Do all mexicans really only eat rice and beans, light firecrackers, whistle like birds and steal cars?

Do all chinese people know how to squat like a catcher, play mahjjong, and place their discarded chicken bones on top of communal dimsum tables?

What is more damaging to society: (1) Discussing stereotypes openly and thereby reinforcing certain perceptions by treating them as fact; or (2) ignorning stereotypes, dismissing them as if it were preposterous to think that blanket generalizations can be made about an entire race, gender or orientation based on certain cultural observations?

Please discuss.

I'll start:

A month or so ago, I was at the Jamba Juice across from the Beverly Center. In front of me in line was a homeless-looking, out of work (white) actor that looked like he hadn't bathed in weeks. (Yet, he had enough money to buy a Berry Lime Sublime with energy boost.)

While he is ordering, he places his hole-ridden, disgusting, vile, toxic looking tennis shoes right on the counter, as if it were his cell phone or a man purse. The register girl, who was a young black female, saw that he had put his shoes on the fucking counter, yet failed to say anything, and didn't say a word to him about it. NOT A WORD. I threw up a bit in my mouth at the tought of this guys shoes being on top of the counter, but didn't say anything, ordered my drink and went on my way.

Cut to the next scene: I am retelling what had just transpired to my cousin (who has lived in LA her whole life), and ended by saying "it was probably because she (the counter girl) was black." To which, my cousin accused me of being racist, narrow-minded, sheltered, etc. She further exclaimed, "Don't you know anything about the civil rights movement??" I was like wtf?

My statement to her was not to say that all black people are lazy and apathetic in the work place. But honestly, have you ever been to a Burger King in NYC or a Popeyes Chicken in North Philadelphia? A lot of the minimum wage positions in metropolitan/urban areas, i.e., at fastfood and other chain establishments (such as Jamba Juice) are filled by young, african americans, who for the most part would be much happier doing something else (insert stereotype: ____________) rather than serving chicken nuggets all day for 7 bucks an hour. And you can totally see the apathy and their general malaise come through when you ask for an extra couple packets of ketchup or honey mustard sauce.

I made my statement based on my experience, past observations, and logical deductions. If the counter girl or guy was say white or asian, I think that it would've been more likely (%wise) than not that someone would've said something to the homeless,shoeless actor.

Am I a racist?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^

see, that's why stereotypes are bullshit

if you told me you were watching this movie and these two guys with 11 inch horse cocks were doubling this blonde bitch, i'd be like, oh so it was one of those huge black dicks on tight white chicks things

but reality is so much more complicated

It has to do with one's upbringing, and I guess race is relevant to that. Putting dirty sneakers on a counter top is just nappy as hell, I think anyone who can recognize good manners would realize that. I haven't been put into a situation such as that but I'm sure that the costumer would trip if he was told what he can't/can do, leading to asking to see a manager. I know this is unlikely but some people are just that dumb.

Also, $7 at fast food isn't too bad... around here it's minimum wage, so that's $6.50? (fifty cents, yeahyeah...)

ahaha i didnt think somebody would actually make the thread..

but honestly though, i beleive stereotypes are out there to give people a harsh truth about their own race. The whole stereotype fiasco didnt just come up out of nowhere, its people like you and myself who created these stereotypes and rectify them on our own..

Its become such a universal issue, so predominant in our culture. The thing is, once people start hearing it, they;re quick to assume that people are attacking their race, hence this whole "rascim" nonsense comes about.. Its not racism, in my opinion i think the word racism is overrated..People use that word to pre judge every damn thing thats said out of someones mouth.. Just like the word love..its so commonly used that it's lost its true meaning.

As i mentioned in the WAYWT thread, i am a 19 year old black male who actually looks at these stereotypes as a way of expressing truth to society. YES black people do shoot and kill people, we eat fried chicken, we love watermelons and enjoy cookouts..We enjoy wearing excessively baggy clothing. When people watch the news, this is what they see, and as much as i dont want to say this, we beleive what we are told and what we see on TV..The news is what i call "the obvious truth" because it clearly pinpoints every single stereotype that we mention, but its true because that is what we brought upon ourselves..

Honestly if you want the stereotyping to stop, then make a better living for yourself and stop feeding people the obvious.. The more ignorant you are, the more it;s going to show..

Whats funny is that we can make fun of our own race within our own groupings, but the minute somebody starts callin u out, we make a fuss about it.. But that person in my opinion has every right to say it because those people are just fueling their own ignorance..

I'm part irish and part hispanic. I drink a lot of tequila and steal a lot of potatoes

oh and one more thing for you racists, every SINGLE american commercial EVER made that has a black person in it is racict towards black people. Every single one of them. Just remember this next time you see a comercial with a black person in it.

Usually the car commercials are BIG TIME RACIST on this. And im damn straight serious on this.

ok i have VERY GOOD PROOF as to how stereotypes make us look completely fuking ignorant.. you know what that proof is? our own damn race.

BET is a great example of stereotypes gone wrong. We rant on about how things should change in our world, stop the racism, end the fighting, etc etc.. But then when u switch your TV onto BET what do you see?

KFC commercials, Expensive brand names and cars, women in explicit clothing, Bill collectors, constant crest commericials, black men wearing baggy clothes expressing their beleifs of the "ghetto" and throwing money into the air claiming its raining..(last time i checked rain didnt consist of dollar bills)..constant use of the "N" bomb..thats just to name a few

We complain about change yet we're the ones who are fueling the stereotypes..if you want shit to stop, then change yourself man..its getting out of hand..

and dont even get me started on this "white washed" bullshit too..oh man

what do black ppl do then? steal tvs?

what was op thinking when he made this?

I remember when www.niggastolemy.tv was a working link: niggastolemytvanimniggasy4.gif

On the site they discussed the need for awareness (via the internets lol), basically with the same arguments as Ichigo's.

Also, growing up just miles away from Baltimore city, I had many black friends. We enjoied cold cans of grape juice on hot summer days. Is the stereotype just Kool Aid and orange soda (kenan & kel) or is grape juice just within my circle of friends?