Best record stores in NYC?

02///M3

I get 95% of my music online now, but I miss digging through good albums and finding good surprises. Anybody got any recommendations for more obscure/underground record stores? I'm primarily looking for dance/electronic/etc. in manhattan.

P.S. did a search but nothin came up.

kim's located at 6 St. Marks Place.(between 2nd and 3rd Avenues)New York, NY 10003. 10am to midnight. it's owned by some korean mafioso. lots of good music and great indie flicks on the second floor. definitely can't miss it.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't make it down to Turntable Lab, but it seems to be pretty nice.

I liked Mondo Kim's (Obscure finds if you're lucky, I got The Stranger CD on Pthalo there), Breakbeat Science (Good for new-ish drum'n'bass, good dubstep selectiton, nice and private, though it took me a LONG time to find), Other Music (caters to lots of needs, great staff), and Hospital

(noise and black metal, ahhahahahaha), and Etherea (spelling? Carried a wide range of stuff, some good some garbage)

Also, if you're in a store and don't find what you're looking for, ask one of the sales staff if they know of a store that carries it, it's usually a two-three block walk there anyways.

sound library is a nice shop, A1 records has a lot of good stuff. I picked up some nice stuff in Academy records, there are a few branches I think.

I didn't like turntablelab much... the people in there are arseholes pretty much.

I didn't make it down to Turntable Lab, but it seems to be pretty nice.

I liked Mondo Kim's (Obscure finds if you're lucky, I got The Stranger CD on Pthalo there), Breakbeat Science (Good for new-ish drum'n'bass, good dubstep selectiton, nice and private, though it took me a LONG time to find), Other Music (caters to lots of needs, great staff), and Hospital

(noise and black metal, ahhahahahaha), and Etherea (spelling? Carried a wide range of stuff, some good some garbage)

haha yeah, bbs is in the basement of a clothing store now. haven't been to hospital but apparently you have to climb a ladder down from jammyland.

other music is ok, more "edited" towards the nyu hipster than it used to be. speaking of etherea, i miss adult crash

i dont buy records but generation has a cat, a selection of absolutely horrible cds for 99 cents, and alot of metal as it has been mentioned.... so its worth stopping by if you are by wash sq park

i haven't been to hospital in like 6 months but if they are still in the same place theres a ridiculously steep ladder you have to go down

small place but alot of noise,

dominic is a cool dude too

haha yeah, bbs is in the basement of a clothing store now. haven't been to hospital but apparently you have to climb a ladder down from jammyland.

other music is ok, more "edited" towards the nyu hipster than it used to be. speaking of etherea, i miss adult crash

Yeah, not only is BBS not advertised on the outside of the store, but you wouldn't even know it if you walked into the store.

The ladder there is kind of sketchy, especially when hauling 30 LP's from previous stores. The whole store is about 2/3 of the size of my bedroom, great service from Prurient himself.