ever think you're paying too much.

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

Guest dontcaretoomuchforcrap

so many streetwear shops charge at average $25 for tees, $100 for sweats. now you're starting to see $30-$40. lets not even get into bape. but a lot of these times the tees are simple guildan or hanes. sweats for$100 too.

now you go to a non boutique, and sweats are like $60 at most, tees are $20 at most.

for "street wear", it sure isn't selling for street prices.

eat pussy not meat

something against him from me, then.

It is all about the brand, why even bother to post about it? YSL sweaters is 400$, jeans are 300$ and Tees are 150$. Jil Sander can easily be twice as much.

Most of you don't even buy the really expensive stuff so you can't really whine about 20$ for a T-shirt.

MAD YOUNG MAN

well designers put time and effort into designing the shirt, if not to just power up their mac to load up illustrator. don't you think they are entitled an extra 5 bucks over retail for their efforts?

"i know you and you know me... it's the sob story, the sob story"

There's a lot of other things the designers deal with too, such as huge marketing campaigns, funding runways, hiring people to check out other designers' runways... this is aside from the fact that they (should be) designing their patterns from pretty much scratch, and have to keep up with new expensive fabrics (although Jil Sander seems to be the only one who cares about fabrics these days). And of course, by these days, I mean not anymore.

Edited by wild_whiskey on Jun 28, 2005 at 08:17 AM

Well, we aren't even talking about high fashion labels here. They are operating on a different level (and obviously for a different clientele). Pricing depends on quality, brand, and design. Show me a $20 Quiksilver (just pulling that shit out of nowhere) tee and I'll think it's overpriced. Lame brand, most likely a bad design, and no quality (but honestly, how much quality do you expect to find in a cotton, ring-spun tee?). So you have to go for the intangibles. Consider the image you think the brand has, what it represents, all that crap that lets brands charge high prices for things. The high prices of something we know is inexpensive to produce gives the impression that it's less obtainable. You start to think that there must be something special about it. It's the mystique of materialism and marketing more than anything. I play the game even though I know what's up.

Yeah, we're all paying too much for shit.

Gildan tees fit the worst of any brand. Heavyweight Hanes are brutal too. They do seem to hold up to washing, tho. They're cut for middle aged middle americans (read: big gutted) and just look wiggawack on thin people, esp. with somewhat fitted pants. For bigger dudes, they're fine.

I hate it when so-called designer street shit that retails for $35+ is printed on $2 tees with crappy plastisol inks. I used to print shirts. It's not rocket science.

Fit is paramount. To me, it doesn't matter if it's Supreme printed with with panda blood; if it doesn't fit, I'm not buying. The only exception is concert tees, cuz I've got no choice.

Fit is why I put up with AA tees. They fit me well, and go to hell in a hurry. Plus, if you get an account with them, it's like $5 CDN each (at least it was 4 years ago), no minimums.

Best bang for my buck is thrift store shit (once again). Sweet, stretchy, soft 50/50 polycotton tees (Screen Stars and shit like that) that fit well and last forever.

"The only exception is concert tees, cuz I've got no choice. "

No choice?

Why because they only sell them that night at the show? Those tees are some of the most horrible quality. Its really the same as buying a Supreme Tee (just a name everyone knows), but Supreme is better quality. They only sell it there and it will only be on the shelve for the moment you are there. Its all been hyped (just like any band out there)

Well..its true an average "streetwear" shirt is about $2+printing fees,tags,hang tags,etc.. it comes out to about $7. If you print yourself (the only way really) you can get it down to about $5 (cost).

Nigo is the master... How did he do it?? I dont think he could even tell you.. Sometimes your hot, sometimes your not.. Most are not. super HUGE or super tiny, Everyone in the middle is too busy treading water. Thats why you cant sleep on the nobody's either.

As for designer labels..hey its from the ground up, when supreme starts cutting fabric and sewing their tees (i know they have already headed in the direction) it will be the same.. $100 for a "designer" skateboard T.

You can pay a little more.. and you probably will. Lets face it $15 shirts are gone forever

Edited by Jack Paar on Jun 28, 2005 at 03:04 PM

the guy that said it comes to $7 for a shirt obviously doesnt make high end t's.

i will agree that gildan and hanes are bullshit. if someone is using those they shouldnt be in the high end industry. tshirts are getting more and more expensive at retail-yes. but they are also getting much more expensive to produce.

making boutique and high end t's means you are not selling hundreds of thousands like quik or hurley so you get less quantity breaks. not to mention those lame ass brands are a fucking logo on a ghetto shirt. plus you are not using cheap plastisol inks or cheap tshirts. plus worn out and light soft t's dont get that way themselves. it costs a lot to treat them. tags, etc. and overhead is a bitch.

a lot of expensive t's are coming from small independent companies.

some of us view a tshirt as a canvas. art is expensive. if you are buying a tshirt because you saw carson daily wearing the same one on trl we dont want you as a customer anyway. people will pay for a quality shirt that is well designed because they appreciate it. the people that bitch about the prices simply dont get what a designer is doing.

i know a lot of people who can't afford to buy expensive t's that do. and i know a lot of rich peoplw who can afford the expensive t's and bitch about the price. get it? i hope so cus they dont.

i just figure its quality over quantity. i have 3 pairs of jeans that i wear...2 pairs of apc's for $130 and a pair of rogans i got on sale for $80. id rather have 3 quality pairs of jeans for $200 each than 15 shitty pairs at $40.

just because we post on this board doesnt mean we're buying stuff everyday.

stick to what works for you.

I say if you can buy it buy it....if not then don't....but I guess theres always that dude that will complain about shit.....but i've bought tees for 25+...I'm going to buy it because i like it and thats the bottom line....same with shoes and denim.

RELAX DONT DO IT

Edited by Convoy on Jun 28, 2005 at 06:09 PM

Let me clarify:

I have deep respect for artists of all kinds, including those that use tees to get across and over. In fact, I appreciate artists that aren't scared to use a "low" medium such as tees and sell them at a price any joker can afford. More respect to those who push for quality in the shirt, the inks, and the quality of the printing, as well as their designs. It all counts.

Digital Gravel has tons of dirty dope tees by unknown artists and little collectives selling for $20-25. Even if they were $30 or 40, I still feel they'd be "worth it", whatever that means.

OTOH, straight up logo tees are not art, and I pretty much refuse to wear them. That's just me, no beef with those who do.

Most logo tees are low-cost, easily designed, high mark-up products that try to appeal to a buyer's desire for brand affiliation. Think of any brand of clothing that you absolutely refuse to buy and wear. Probably the major reason you hate on that gear is not because the quality blows but because that brand has a certain lame shittiness about it, and is popular in a scene you look down on. Anybody rocking D&G, FUBU, or American Eagle shirts here?

Of course, there's something to be said for designs that incorporate a name and some creativity like Obey & Stussy. Nice, juicy grey area.

I guess I'm getting old! But I have always been that way. I have always avoided logo shirts and sweaters and have removed logos when I had been given logo heavy clothing. I guess it is my inner punk rock, not to be confused with new punk rock, which is more like fashion punk.

Carpe Denim!

1112885282366_selvage1_edited.JPG

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Jun 28, 2005 at 09:43 PM

NEVER!!!

honestly I love paying more just so I know that it so much less likely that anyone will be diong what I'm doing

naw, not exactly but its not totally untrue. I just don't mind paying, because I am simply willnig to shell out more for a more intricatly made product, produced in more limited quantity, by a good name. I won't buy a poorly made product for its name, and that actually geenrally why I ditch brands, because they see they have an inelastic demand, so they just lower the quality. And on the flip side of that coin, I'm not afraid to say that I will pay more for a well constructed product that is adding price points just because of their name. Thats jst the sacrifices you make to be the flyest

are you guys serious? Did session from nike talk just let out? Who are all these people? there just fucking TEE SHIRTS.........there meant to be fun, why are you taking them so serious? high end? art? hand made? who cares there just fucking tee shirts......