Tipping/Dining and Dashing

broneck

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Canadians are bad tippers, everybody knows that. 10% is average for most Canadians, some manage to tip even less (judging by Vancouver, maybe in Toronto average is 15%).

I usually tip 15% for ok (meaning, I didn't enjoy it at all) service, 20-25% for good service. And I always have to tip more when I go with my friends because most of them can't tip properly.

But frankly I agree with the Japanese non-tipping policy.

i think it's a western canadian thing cause judging from experience, ppl tipped much much less out west (alberta and bc) than in quebec and ontario. + in quebec, we pretty much always get our own individual bill at the restaurant so it's pretty hard to leave a shitty tip thinking nobody will know you tipped a little. + waiters have to pay income tax on 8% of their sales so if you don't tip enough, it actually cost them money to serve you. but i have to admit that americans are generally much more generous with tip, especially when they come here and don't realize that sales tax is 14% and calculate tip on total amount and not pre-tax amount.

as for cheap ppl, my gf (who's japanese) works in a nice japanese restaurant here in montreal and they get a lot of japanese tourists and she almost always have to tell them to tip cause either they don't, or just round up the amount (leaving like 2 , 3%). funniest thing is most of the time, the japaneses get mad offended and always freak out that they traveled all around the globe and know everything about local customs etc...my gf always joke that hate most japaneses now. also, when i lived in whistler, pretty much everyone i know who worked in a restaurants had some problems with groups of mainlanders who threw fits and almost rioted cause the waiter added the service charge on the bill .

the thing i hate about tipping is that it's that the sharing of it is usually extremely unfair. waiter seriously makes a lot of money, and i won't even talk about bartenders. while cooks at most restaurants except the most expensive usually make minimum wage and that's it while waiters can easilly pull 1000$ a week and more. + i feel really cheap when i tip under 15% even if the service was horrible.

At the resturaunts in the tourist area of Orlando, most of them just include a 15% gratuity on the bill. Those places get so many tourists from so many different areas they have to.

Only really tip dinner, or a decent lunch, not normally a cafes, unless its a keep the change situation, same goes for cabs.

Tipping is different in Australia, I would say 10% to 20% on meals is the norm, but people dont rely on it as much as they would in the states. For instance a waiter/bus boy would get the smae hourly rate as a kitchen hand in some places, but the waiter gets tips as a bonus.

My dad basically is trying to raise two kids alone by being a waiter, and I know how much it fucking sucks when someone gives a shitty tip or non-existent tip on a big meal. Even more so because he works at an expensive buffet and, like said before, people think that because the bill is expensive they don't have to tip as much, even though buffet waiters do much more work than a regular waiter. So yeah, just having the experience of seeing my dad feeling like shit after a crappy day's work pretty much persuades me to leave at least a 30-50% tip when I go out.

What about tattoos? I have always heard from people to tip tattoo artists if he/she has done a good job with the work, but I have yet to do so. One time I offered to tip and he turned it away like I insulted him, like doing the work was rewarding enough.

I always tip for tattoos. Im sure my artists wouldnt be offended if i didnt, but they're always really appreciative when that i do, and im sure that's part of the reason why they tend to bump other appointments to fit me in, and charge me less than the shop rate...

my dad is a horrible tipper, i think this is why i like to tip over the 15% cause im trying to balance what is good in the world. for my birthday we all went out and had this huge dinner, it was less than 200 but was easily over 100 and my dad left a 5 on the table, once everyone left i went back and put more in but still that was a huge tip for him.

but then again i hate when people almost force you to tip, like once i was out with friends and the waitress messed up my order and spilled a drink on me. at the end one of my friends was like where is your money for the tip, i told him i wasnt putting in for a tip, to which he responded but she served the rest of us well so wo should do at least 10%, i still didnt put in. so do a good job, get tipped well.

To counter undeserving servers getting tips, we should do what John Lithgow did in 3rd Rock from the Sun. Whenever. they do something that pleases us, we put an amount on the table. Say 5 $1 bills. Whenever they displeases us, we remove an amount. End of the meal, they will get what is left on the table.

Of course, we must inform the server of this new system when we start.

well in that scenario its not a tip issue. 15 bucks isn't gonna change my dior suit. the manager foots a bill for dry cleaning immediately, and if it doesn't come out fronts the cost of the suit. its happened before.

As for "who knows what they do to your food," unless it's either fast food, or place that doesn't care about doing business, they will be too busy to fuck with your food. The scene in the kitchen at most restaurants during regular dining hours is very hectic

Are you kidding If I am a waiter, no matter how hectic I am, for an asshole, I can afford the 10 seconds to pee in the clam chowder ala Brad Pitt in Fight Club or lace the creamy pasta or bread and butter pudding with my mucus and booger and other creamed coloured bodily emissions.

The customer would then wonder why I have a big shit eatting grin despite getting a 1% tip.

how much do u tip bartenders at bars, im trying to cut back on drinking, but if im feeling generous and am visiting alot i might drop a $5 on the first drink, and 1 or 2 bucks from there on

i dont eat out much because im broke, but usually around 10 - 20% , i find the service in Canada pretty shitty at alot of places.

i usually tip more in the states because service is better and pay is less, but it really depends

ive gotten some real shitty service sometimes, but i have never NOT left a tip. i get annoyed at my friends if they're super cheap at tipping and i feel like i gotta add a bit more..

Never forget how much to tip again....

my girlfriend told me this easy formula for leaving a good tip. comes in handy when your shitfaced and are trying to figure out how much to tip. if the waiter was pretty good and exceptional do this formula and you will never under tip or overtip....

For U.S. currency...

1) multiply the first number in the bill by two to get the amount you will leave as tip.

lets say the final bill is $63.64

6 x 2 = $12 tip.

now if the 2nd number is 5 or above then add an extra dollar.

$56.04

5 x 2 = 10 + 1 = $11 tip

if its triple digits then multiply the first two numbers by two.

$123.56

12 x 2 - $24

Never forget how much to tip again....

my girlfriend told me this easy formula for leaving a good tip. comes in handy when your shitfaced and are trying to figure out how much to tip. if the waiter was pretty good and exceptional do this formula and you will never under tip or overtip....

For U.S. currency...

1) multiply the first number in the bill by two to get the amount you will leave as tip.

lets say the final bill is $63.64

6 x 2 = $12 tip.

now if the 2nd number is 5 or above then add an extra dollar.

$56.04

5 x 2 = 10 + 1 = $11 tip

if its triple digits then multiply the first two numbers by two.

$123.56

12 x 2 - $24

Haha! If you are shitfaced, no way in hell you can remember all that!

Guest jmatsu
Really? I have never done so. I just forego the balance in cents which is a miniscue amount. Otherwise, I try to pay them as close to the metered fare as I can.

a couple of them got pissed when i refused. a hotel bellboy and other hongkongers told me that it's customary.

a couple of them got pissed when i refused. a hotel bellboy and other hongkongers told me that it's customary.

Hell! I wont give a damn even if they are pissed. i just pay and walk off. There aint nothing they can do especially if I carry all my bags and bring it with me.

Guest jmatsu
Hell! I wont give a damn even if they are pissed. i just pay and walk off. There aint nothing they can do especially if I carry all my bags and bring it with me.

i could care less if they got on their knees and begged. i was curious as too why taxing tippy seemed so accepted and customary in hong kong of all places.

I have a friend who rounds his bills up to the next dollar. He told me that one night as he was getting his pen out to sign a $19.83 receipt at the Cheesecake Factory. I said I always like to have round numbers at the end too, assuming he was leaving $24 or $25. I look over as we leave and the fucker left $20.00.

He's sitting on like $95,000 in eight bank accounts at age 21. He delivers pizzas too!

ones that always get me are the times when i tip on 'oh this is on me' bill. i usually try to tip the amount of the actual bill to the server friend, is that good enough?

also someone mentioned tattoos earlier. this one always gets confusing too. how much am i supposed to tip? i have usually tipped 30%. is that good enough?

ok, i will heading to the US soon, so how much should one tip, say for a normal lunch/dinner at a normal cafe/restaraunt?

down here in Australia, i'd only tip for excellent service and food, which is rare