Tipping/Dining and Dashing

broneck

i was gonna post this last night, didnt get around to it...i'm currently no longer a server, but feel obligated to post this anyway.

Servers in Canada make $6.85 cents an hour. This is because of the basic understanding that people tip their servers. I'm not sure what the minimum is in the States, but I get the impression its even less. This means if I work an average of 40 hours a week I make a whopping 274 dollars week (pre tax and deductions). That's poverty line.

Additionally, the majority of restaurtants require their wait staff to tip out to the kitchen, meaning they pay the kitchen an average of 3-4% of their sales (not their tips). Therefore if a server sells 1000 dollars worth of food, he/she generally pays the kitchen up to 40 dollars. The unfortunate truth is that not everyone tips an average of 15%, so there are times when the amount a server pays out almost completely negates any money he/she has made that evening.

Here's a simple equation for an average tip. for every 50 dollars (after tax, don't be a cheapass), tip 7.50. If your bill is 100 bucks, thats 115 after tip. 300, 345 after tip, etc, etc.

If you end up with a huge bill at the end of the night (600 dollars or something) do not use that as an excuse to leave a shitty tip. Tipping 30 dollars on 600 just because you don't like how expensive your meal cost is low as shit, and given a 4% tip out, that means your server is making about 4 dollars on that bill.

If you've been given exceptional service, don't be afraid to go a little beyond the minimums. Getting a 25% tip can make someone's night, both financially and personally. Getting a 15% tip after a table verbally sucks your dick is nothing but frustrating.

Finally, dining and dashing is the lowest thing you can do. Not only do servers pay these bills out of their own pockets (which can be a real treat when your rent money is due), we still tip out on the bill. So dining and dashing on a 100 dollar bill actually costs a server 104 dollars.

Sorry about rambling. Happy dining.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to work in a fairly highscale place out here. the clientel were cheap as hell, so I feel your pain man.

because of this I always tip a minimum of 20 percent (Ive actually tipped close to what the meal cost on a couple of occasions) . however if the waitstaff is a moron I do tip low.

I'm not bitchy with demands so I really don't get horrible service.

Normally I'd tip 20%. If the server went out of his/her way I'd tip 30-40%.

I have friends that worked in restaurants and my sister worked a bit as a server and hostess so even take out orders I'd tip one to two dollar, five or more if its a huge ass order which is fine because its for business related and my boss foots the bill.

I don't know about US in general because it varies but they pay at least minimum in sf. Their tips are taxed. when you pay by cc a percentage of that gets deducted.

There was a bitchy server at chevys whom I did give tip (15%) but in coins.

i tip 15% for bad service, 20% for good service, and 25% for you-just-sucked-me-off-while-i-ate-my-steak-thanks-sherry! service.

if i get takeout i don't tip at all because the places i get takeout

from don't expect it, and if i get delivery i tip a buck or two.

i was gonna post this last night, didnt get around to it...i'm currently no longer a server, but feel obligated to post this anyway.

Servers in Canada make $6.85 cents an hour. This is because of the basic understanding that people tip their servers. I'm not sure what the minimum is in the States, but I get the impression its even less. This means if I work an average of 40 hours a week I make a whopping 274 dollars week (pre tax and deductions). That's poverty line.

Additionally, the majority of restaurtants require their wait staff to tip out to the kitchen, meaning they pay the kitchen an average of 3-4% of their sales (not their tips). Therefore if a server sells 1000 dollars worth of food, he/she generally pays the kitchen up to 40 dollars. The unfortunate truth is that not everyone tips an average of 15%, so there are times when the amount a server pays out almost completely negates any money he/she has made that evening.

Here's a simple equation for an average tip. for every 50 dollars (after tax, don't be a cheapass), tip 7.50. If your bill is 100 bucks, thats 115 after tip. 300, 345 after tip, etc, etc.

If you end up with a huge bill at the end of the night (600 dollars or something) do not use that as an excuse to leave a shitty tip. Tipping 30 dollars on 600 just because you don't like how expensive your meal cost is low as shit, and given a 4% tip out, that means your server is making about 4 dollars on that bill.

If you've been given exceptional service, don't be afraid to go a little beyond the minimums. Getting a 25% tip can make someone's night, both financially and personally. Getting a 15% tip after a table verbally sucks your dick is nothing but frustrating.

Finally, dining and dashing is the lowest thing you can do. Not only do servers pay these bills out of their own pockets (which can be a real treat when your rent money is due), we still tip out on the bill. So dining and dashing on a 100 dollar bill actually costs a server 104 dollars.

Sorry about rambling. Happy dining.

what ethnic groups generally tip the least and most?

some more tipping questions

1. tip the shampoo woman at the salon?

2. tip furniture delivery people?

3. tip repairmen?

4. appropriate tip for happy ending?

5. in countries such as japan there is no tipping. is that because they will be polite to you even if there is no incentive to be?

5. in countries such as japan there is no tipping. is that because they will be polite to you even if there is no incentive to be?

servers are extremely polite and work fast, or their asses are getting fired and replaced with someone who can.

a $10 a plate restaurant in japan has as good if not better service than a $50 a plate restaurant in the states.

i think its sad that we have to pay extra if we got good service. they should just increase pay to get better employees who bring a good level of service. instead of people tipping someone who did their job well. fuck that noise.

Guest jmatsu

tipping in japan up until recently has been nonexistent. recently there are tipjars/cups in the bars and clubs. it's pretty pointless to tip the bartenders because the service is usually pretty good regardless of tipping or not.

i do not understand why it is a necessary to tip cab drivers in HK.

i normally just double up the tax (about 15-17%)

if they were asshoes, i just toss some change on the table..

if they were good, kept my cup full, fast,etc.. i might do a few bucks extra.

The unfortunate truth is that not everyone tips an average of 15%, so there are times when the amount a server pays out almost completely negates any money he/she has made that evening.

Canadians are bad tippers, everybody knows that. 10% is average for most Canadians, some manage to tip even less (judging by Vancouver, maybe in Toronto average is 15%).

I usually tip 15% for ok (meaning, I didn't enjoy it at all) service, 20-25% for good service. And I always have to tip more when I go with my friends because most of them can't tip properly.

But frankly I agree with the Japanese non-tipping policy.

Deliver pizza in the south. Black people don't tip. Ever. It can be 19.50, and they'll give you a $20 bill and 2 quarters, just waiting for that $1 back. Indian people tip like shit too. Asians are alright, but whites seem to tip the most. Students always tip well, too.

Guest jmatsu
Deliver pizza in the south. Black people don't tip. Ever. It can be 19.50, and they'll give you a $20 bill and 2 quarters, just waiting for that $1 back. Indian people tip like shit too. Asians are alright, but whites seem to tip the most. Students always tip well, too.

i really could care less, but i assume you don't consider indians (unless you're talking native american) asian.

I excuse black people though. They've only been able to dine freely for what, 2 generations? They have no history of being served like u white fuccas.

I always go by the way some people refer to the whole area around india a "sub-continent", so no to your question. The part of gainesville where i live is absolutely loaded with asia, indian, and middle easterners. Techinically they're all a part of Asia if you want to pick nits. I'm white/hipsanic for whatever that's worth.

The black people in coming to america are fantastic though. Much prefered to the hood rich ones here. I guess sufu has hood rich fashion kids though with $300 jeans on minimum wage student pay.

some more tipping questions

1. tip the shampoo woman at the salon?

2. tip furniture delivery people?

3. tip repairmen?

4. appropriate tip for happy ending?

1. $3 or $5

2. $20 and beer

3. depends how big the job is... something simple like changing the faucet? $5, all day job like running a new gas line? $40+

if he works for a company... the more you tip, the more incentive for him to charge you less... this lady i did work for, gave me and my partner $75 each... i knocked off $300 from the bill

4. happy ending? HJ, BJ? or Fuck? them shady places usually include tip with the price... 20 bucks is enough... unless she washed with her titties, tossed your salad, put a condom on you using only her mouth, and let you put it in her butt... then yeah tip Alot more... haha

5. if service is excellent, I tip the waiter/waitress personally...

What about tattoos? I have always heard from people to tip tattoo artists if he/she has done a good job with the work, but I have yet to do so. One time I offered to tip and he turned it away like I insulted him, like doing the work was rewarding enough.

On food though, I pretty much always tip 20% if not more. Bad service usually gets 15% but sometimes I give in and tip 20% for bad service, you just never know when someone's just having a bad day.