Vans Slip-Ons...a little feminine?

Well, I expect I might lose some rep for this as I did with my "What is so great about Supreme?" topic, but I can't help but ask some of these questions.

Don't get me wrong, I love SuFu style, that's why I'm here. I believe I'll wear raw denim until I'm dead and you guys have me hooked on developing my own style. One thing I see proliferating in the WAYWT topic, as we move into summer, are Vans Slip-Ons. I've gotten over the man-bags, and I've looked past the skin-tight jeans as something that fits others well. I've even learned to look past some of the weird pieces that look like they were used in a lesbian bondage film. But one thing I always shake my head art are Vans Slip-Ons.

Don't you guys think they look a little feminine, particularly the white ones? Or, with the checkered ones, a little trendy and a little emo? I was looking at a pair at Journey's yesterday, since I had a sizeable gift card, and my mom said, "You really want to wear the same pair of shoes I have?" Now, she doesn't exactly have the same pair, of course, but she has a pair of Keds that look like a very female pair of shoes.

I'm sure they are great shoes. They look like they are well-constructed and they seem very sturdy and heavy. I tried them on and they look pretty comfy as well. But I just can't see myself wearing them without giving a feminine vibe off.

So maybe it's just me, maybe they just don't fit my style. What do you guys think? I'm just voicing my opinion on them, but maybe you guys can change it.

My favorite pair of shoes is my MJ vans crossword slip-ons...why because it is the MOST COMFORTABLE shoes I have. I don't wear something just because I want to be in style or something. It has to be comfortable. That's the most important thing to me. And I don't really comprehend why some people think it's feminine. You're the very first person who mentioned that slip-ons are feminine on this site (maybe not). I do give you props for having balls to speak out your mind. We're not here to change opinions of people. We're just here to express our opinions...

=)

You realize how dumb you sound saying a shoe looks emo, right?

i was just about to say that.

i'm tired of people and their misuse and overusage of "emo".

back on topic though, i personally got tired of slipons and stopped wearing them but i dont see anything wrong with them whatsoever.

Guest doubletap

they're comfortable, light, simple and get better with age and wear... whats there not to like?

feminine?... they look like convict shoes.

theyre simple and inexpensive, comfy, easy to wear and convenient (no laces), super casual, easy to match, u can trash them up and not give a fuck, throw them away and buy another pair .. i dont even own a pair but i can see the appeal.

and slip-ons are unisex, if u think they look feminine then it kinda sounds like you're insecure about your masculinity. or maybe its because your mom wears em.

I never really liked slip ons myself, I totally agree with the choices that RBW gave you and Ill add athentics to that list.

as far as the slip on being feminine... I almost see what your trying to say but I dont agree with you. I think that the slip on just looks frail.

Thanks for the opinions guys. And I realize how general the word "emo" is, considering it pertains to a type of music, but I understand why you think it's a stupid term.

Anyways, maybe they just aren't for me. I've never liked Converse All-Stars either, and they're considerd a classic shoe, maybe I just have weird taste.

slip-ons probably just dont match your style. its all good, its natural to be curious if you dont see the appeal of a popular product. what kind of shoes do you like then?

I really like Clarks as well as Onitsuka Tigers.

To be honest, I don't like most of SuFu's shoes. I was never a fan of the loud Dunks or the Slip-Ons. But maybe I'll come around.

Guest jmatsu

i think that you're trying alittle to hard to unecessarily justify your dislike of slip ons.

i don't hate them, but am turned off by vans slips simply because of the fact that they are not exclusive to the fashionista. they have become the standard footwear of people who also shop via the gap, a&f, mtv emo ala hot topic, etc. if not done exactly right, they can conjure dangerous imagery of a unifrom standard which most on this board despise.

i think that you're trying alittle to hard to unecessarily justify your dislike of slip ons.

i don't hate them, but am turned off by vans slips simply because of the fact that they are not exclusive to the fashionista. they have become the standard footwear of people who also shop via the gap, a&f, mtv emo ala hot topic, etc. if not done exactly right, they can conjure dangerous imagery of a unifrom standard which most on this board despise.

Maybe I am trying too hard to justify it, but if I gave little reasoning people would be shoving it down my throat.

Anyways, I think I may get a cheapy pair of black slip-ons or something and see if I like those better than white ones. If I do, I might grab a pair of Vans.

I try not to think about the "type" of people who wear certain things, and infuse pieces of clothing with meaning. I know that you're just out of high school, and that that is the norm. For some reason, in high school, kids try to attach definitions to items by using a primitive part of their brain to link X (item) to Y (person with characteristics) in a very shallow way. For instance, we seem to get a lot of "my friends think that I'm gay" or "sufu pants in HS" posts because of society's instinct to connect the cultural dots. Glasses = smart and dorky, slim jeans = gay, confederate flag = hick redneck, vans = antiestablishment pretentious ass hole without a clue. In college, that sometimes changes. You should really judge things based on how they fit into an overall style, not for the messages that they convey because of their association with a group of people. I like vans shoes for the same reason that I enjoy AA. The things that they sell are cheap, understated, simple, clean and fit well. When you start printing outsider patterns on them and pair the patterns/colors with outfits before giving any thought to the overall piece (as your 'emo' peers seem to be doing), then they clash and the pattern becomes obtrusive. The mom association is off the mark, as well. I consider vans to be in the same camp as the japanese Levi repros. Sure, your grandfather may have similarly styled jeans, but the style and aesthetic is entirely different. I don't think that I have ever seen an older woman in shoes that look like my slip ons (these: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/9465882/c/70318.html), but I have seen a number of older woman in "Authentic" style shoes.

The only time that I could see that being justified is if a shirt or pair of shoes has a message literally written on them or printed on them. The reason that people don't like the multi-colored/checkered prints on the shoes are because it is pretentious. They make the mistake of lumping far too much meaning in with what that says about the character of the person wearing them, though. Stop buying the "lifestyle" brand association that goes on out there. If you trust the stylistic sense of the Superfuture community, then I would say to give the issue a bit more thought. If, after examining some more styles and distancing yourself from 'emo' associations, you still don't like them, then fuck 'em.

HGLF1JtMsvE

Someone had to do it. A friend of mine was being committed to a psych ward a few months ago and the orderly was singing this song and looked down at her and was like "you gonna need them where youre going!" And thats my vans story.

I bought a pair of white slip-ons months back and just couldnt really wear them until they started to get dirtier and now I love the things. Thats my second vans story. The end.

My favorite pair of shoes is my MJ vans crossword slip-ons...why because it is the MOST EMO shoes I have. I don't wear something just because I want to be in style or something. It has to be emo. That's the most important thing to me. And I don't really comprehend why some people think it's feminine. You're the very first person who mentioned that slip-ons are feminine on this site (maybe not). I do give you props for having balls to speak out your mind. We're not here to change opinions of people. We're just here to express our opinions...

=)

but seriously it sounds like you are trying too hard to conform to sufu style, even when it doesn't suit you. If you are not confident in what you wear, you are not going to look good, period. Also there's no need to make a thread about what you like or don't like, from now on please stop assuming that the rest of us care.

Or, with the checkered ones, a little trendy and a little emo?
You realize how dumb you sound saying a shoe looks emo, right?

especially since theyre BNW checkered and would have to be affiliated with ska and the like if any music genre, most definately not emotional.

While I don't think they are feminine, they do lend themselves to quite a boyish aeshetic. I'll wear my suedes for beating around in but not for going out since other shoes elevate my game a couple levels.