Good work tops (collared)?

.jacob

I need some shirts for work. My office is very chilled out and unless a client comes in it's tees, shorts, etc.

Currently I've got a decent selection of RL and Lacoste polos but I could use some more. However, I don't want to buy more RL and Lacoste stuff. Can anyone recommend some collared shirt labels that aren't too pricey. Or hell, for that matter any sort of top (tee, light sweater, collared, etc) that's conservative and classy? I'm not into the graphic tees. I know this is a bit vague. I appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you,

Jacob

I'm a button down shirt collector.

My personal favorites right now:

Band of outsiders

APC

Margiela

Dries van noten

Comme des garcons

cloak

what is "too pricey" for you?

I'd recommend trovata. Not crazy expensive but pretty cool details.

I love button down shirts as well. Dries makes some really nice shirts and for the price, Uniqlo shirts are quite nice. (Just recieved one of the wrinkle free poplin shirts and it's fantastic)

Some of my favs;

Dries

Lanvin

Band of Outsiders

Uniqlo

Margiela

Jil Sander

i am assuming that since the original poster referred to lacoste and RL it is safe to assume he is not in the market for $400 button downs from cloak or margiela?

i would say fred perry does classic polos, also penguin for a different look as long as you don't overdo it. i like agnes b button downs a lot but they have gotten a bit expensive at full price. ditto (to a lesser extent) with apc.

uniqlo without a doubt if you can get to one. in fact, i am having trouble remembering what i would buy to specifically wear to work (business casual) before it opened in the us - i think it was mostly sale stuff from banana republic which can work if you are very selective.

Cloak and Margiela button downs are rarely $400, more in the $200 range. And now that pretty much everything is on sale, you can take 40% off those prices. So you can nab some great shirts for relatively cheap right now.

Herp- Update us in the recent purchases thread. :)

interesting... i've been buying margiela for years and have never seen any l/s button down for $200 at full retail (except maybe in antwerp, with a favorable exchange rate). however, i just checked yoox and apparently they do have them for that price. with the caveat that they are pretty crap looking imo.

are you saying you can go to barneys la and they have racks of margiela shirts for 200 (or even less than 300)? if so i apparently live near the wrong barneys.

Oops, I meant to type $300. The Margiela shirts I saw this Spring were $330, around there, with some going towards $400, but the more simplistic ones being cheaper. Cloak is usually around the same. I think the best bang for the buck is Dries though. Those button downs with the little flower on the pocket were $200 and Barneys still had plenty of them that made it to sale last time I was there.

Sorry for the mis type though. :)

Thanks for the responses guys. These shirts are all very nice but out of my price range. I was looking for something sub-$100, more along the lines of a polo (sport) shirt. Are there any off-brand nice polo shirts that you could recommend? Button downs are nice too, but for very casual business casual outfit (jeans/shorts & the shirt) I don't want to be dropping more than $100 on the shirt. Maybe for wear with a suit I could justify spending that kind of money on a button down but not in this situation.

If you live near a United Colors of Benetton/Sisley they make very decent and reasonably priced work friendly basics i.e. polos, button downs, chinos, etc. The fit is spot on as is the quality. It beats out h&m and zara in my opinion. Slightly more expensive those places but worth the extra 10-20 bucks you pay.

I picked up three colorways of the uniqlo polos for work rotation, the initial quality was decent, the cut maybe not as nice, but I have yet to try them after the 1st wash/dry which I consider to be a major test for any polo (Lacoste continuously fails this - they deppreciate way too much after the 1st~5th wash). but uniqlo plos are $20 each so i won't be crying a river if they turn out to be shite

I also have Brooks Brothers polo in heavy rotation - they are cheaper than polo or locoste (39.50 for 3+, it used to be 3 for $99) and they actually have better quality, comes in normal or slim cut. and for a store that's been around for some time, the logo doesn't get played out in a polo/lacoste manner by frat boy types or dudes who wear it like long Ts. I can care less about the old man stigma that may come with the brand.