huge denim tear. tips on how to repair?

Ouch

thats in a very awkward spot to repair. It is possible to do it well, but most tailors will take the "Sew a patch underneath it to prevent further ripping" approach. What you really need to do is sew it up and down, back and forth, with hundreds of little stitches to make the repair blend in with the denim. Take it around to some local tailors and see if they are able to do this. If not, maybe consider sending it to a place like Denim Doctors in LA? Ive never seen their work in person but I have no reason to doubt them

Im not sure what their pricing is like but it might be way more than what you expected to pay, maybe not

Good luck!!

A tear like that is usually characteristic of hanging on top of a spiked fence after some drunken debauchery!

this was my first thought when I saw the pic...jumping a fence, all shined up, probably running from the cops or an ass beating (or both).

bring them to a good tailor in your town and keep your fingers crossed. I had a similar incident with some Earnest Sewns a couple years back and they turned out fine.