Big E Levi's 517 info wanted

I picked up a pair of Big E 517s at a vintage shop, and I want to know if anybody could tell me the approx. era and how much they're worth. Not many of these on ebay.Camera's busted, so no pics.

Red tag with capital LEVI'S on both sides (upside down on the underside)

Paper patch that says 517-0217

"8" on the inside of the top button.

"Talon" on the zipper's pull tab, with "42" on the slider

Made in USA / Fabrique aux USA stamped or printed on right pocket, along with washing instructions

serged outseam, not selvedge

Let's try that again.

I picked up a pair of Levi's Big E 517, and I wanted to know if anybody could help me determine the era and approximate value. My camera's busted so no pics yet.

-Capital LEVI"S on both sides of the tag (LEVI"S is upside down on the underside)

-Paper-like patch

-"8" on the back of the button.

-"TALON" on the zipper pull tab, with "42" on the slider

-Stamped on the right inside pocket:

care intructions

serial / model number (hard to read)

100% COTTON MADE IN USA

100% COTON FABRIQUE AUX USA

-Black bar tacks on the back pockets

-Serged outseam, not selvedge

Thanks

The back pockets are not single stitched (I take single-stitched to mean that there is one row of stitching around the pocket... right?)

As for 2 color stitching, the coin pocket, inseams, and the edge of the fly appear to be yellow, but I think that's just wear and fading rather than a different colored thread. The rest of the stitching is the regular Levi's coppery orange.

The jeans are good and dark, with a bit of whiskering , normal wear on the knees, pockets, fly and seat, some washing machine marks, and 1 small light spot (almost white) near the right back pocket. Not great contrast, but that'll be a job for the winning bidder, I suspect.

Some broken warp threads at the hem, and about 2 inches up (fold ups, prob.).

I'm think they were re-hemmed, cuz the hemming thread is black, and the hem is about 1.5 cm, or a bit over 1/2 an inch. I don't think they were cut, though.

Overall, a wicked pair of jeans. Nice and dark. The patch and tag are perfect. Pocket stamps are legible. No holes. Not even stretched out knees. Way too bloody big for me (38 x 32).

Picked them up at Ragpickers, a cool vintage joint in Winnipeg (moved here for family reasons.. not as brutal as it sounds). $25 CDN (!).

Thanks for your help, Serge.

Back pockets are double stitched (2 rows of stitching around the pocket edges and on the arctuates).

Coin pocket, insean, and fly appear to be stitched w. yellow thread, but I think that's just wear and fading. The rest of the stitching is regular Levi's coppery orange.

The jeans are good and dark. Bit of whiskering, fading at knees, crotch, seat, and pockets. One nickel-sized light spot (bleach?) on the right outseam, near the pocket. No honeycombs, not much traintrack. Some washing machine fading, but not bad. Not much contrast at worn spots, so that'll be a job for the winning bidder, prob.

They may have been re-hemmed (hem's like 3/4 inch), but not cut.

Wicked pair of jeans. Nice and dark. Patch and tag perfect. No holes, no broken stitching, minor fraying at hem and where they were turned up. Not even stretched out at the knees.

Way to bloody big for me. 38x32 on the tag, not much different in reality.

Thanks for your help, Serge.

Scored them at Ragpickers in Winnipeg. Sigh. Just moved here for, ahem, family reasons. Not as brutal as it sounds.

$25 CDN(!). The woman at the store even said "Did you notice the capital LEVI'S on the red tab? I hope they're worth a lot more than $25". Canadians.

If I could find a reliable tailor to do some major surgery, I'd probably keep them for myself, but that's not gonna happen.

By double-stitching, Serge means INSIDE the pockets - you'll see a two pairs of single line stitches on the outside, but inside that same stitching should look more or less axactly the same. On later jeans, the inside is chainstitched - the same stitching you'll see on the bottom of the hem of jeans.

They sound cool. Canada seems to be a good place for vintage gear!

Thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, the back pockets are single stitched.

Canada's a good place for vintage, though more on the thrift shop / musty shop end of things, rather than immaculate galleries of sweet, pristine gear. Better that way, IMHO. Toronto and Vancouver have some nice, but pricey shops. The best finds are always at goodwill, the sally ann, etc. Selvage cannot be found there, though.

Recently, I picked up a wool Pendleton shirt from the 50s for $1, and a wool bicycling jersey for like $10. There's a super-cheesy Lee snow wash 80's jacket I've got my eye on.

Awesome! great score! The only modification you should ever consider is re-doing the hem with a chainstitching machine, which is something you are not likely to find. if any material has to be cut from the legs to make them fit you, I strongly advise you not to do so. I saw sell them on ebay and buy a pair that fits better. 36-38 is a really good size if you are selling jeans on ebay! If you want, we can probably help you with a discription.

Carpe Denim!

1112885282366_selvage1_edited.JPG

Yeah, I wasn't really considering having them altered.

I've never sold anything on ebay before, so I figure I won't get as much as an established seller. That said, I hope bidders will be fairly confident if I have good pics and a good description. Besides, how many pairs of fake non-selvedge 517s are floating around?

As for the description, is there anything I should include that hasn't been mentioned in this thread?

Maybe you guys could post a link to an ebay item that inspires confidence. Lotta suspect krap out there. Even worse are the clueless posts.

When it rains it pours. Just picked up NWT Gap low rise boot cuts for $4 from the Sally Ann. Nothing special, but hell, $4? Though I'm more into dry, the fading is nice and subtle, none of that repulsive fake whiskering and white thighs / dark shins.

Cheers.

That's what I like to see.

I'm glad someone's into vintage jeans other than 501s. 501s are great, but with all the repros, fakes and homages, it's hard to care much. For me, not really worth it at fair market value.

BTW, Love those Big Smiths. I'd take those over overdesigned nuskool shite or eurofluffery anyday.

yeah, i think red tab, big "E" 517s are pretty hard to come by...i can't recall ever seeing a pair on ebay, and i've been looking for a pair for 6+months...i've seen some small "e" vintage 517s jeans pushing $200...i could see these going for $400

i wonder why LVC hasn't done a repro of the 517s in the past couple collections...they seem to be a 'hot' style at the moment