hugo boss -- quality?

I've never really paid much attention to this label cuz I always thought they were a little bland....but recent collections have had a nice subdued coolness to them. I was in the store today thinking of buying a few things but I'm a little trepid about the justification of some of these prices. $225 for a little vest for example, ok so I can see myself pulling the trigger for some nice cotton etc from Italy etc, but for a cotton blend from SLOVENIA??? Can I trust the quality of this stuff?

I've never really paid much attention to this label cuz I always thought they were a little bland....but recent collections have had a nice subdued coolness to them. I was in the store today thinking of buying a few things but I'm a little trepid about the justification of some of these prices. $225 for a little vest for example, ok so I can see myself pulling the trigger for some nice cotton etc from Italy etc, but for a cotton blend from SLOVENIA??? Can I trust the quality of this stuff?

Hugo has so many subsidiary lines, Hugo, Hugo Boss, Hugo Sports, otherwise known as red, black and orange or even green label. Yes they are made in places like Turkey, Portugal, etc etc but some are made in Italy too.

Of course you are paying tons for the brand and to be associated with them but some of the designs and materials aint too bad. Very Euro trashy for some but still nice nonetheless.

But if you want real primo quality stuff from them, get Balderassini or something like that (always spell their name wrongly). These are their top of the range hand made stuff. But their design could be more like the stuff your dad wears.

I like Hugo though although some of their stuff can be quite OTT.

Hugo Boss no longer has any affiliation with Baldessarini (correct sp). I don't know if any stuff is still available in stores but it won't be for much longer.

I have a few pieces from different Boss ranges from the last 3 years or so and all quality seems good to me, but I have definately seen somethings in stores where the quality definatley does not match the price.

Excerpt from WGSN:

Just days after buying back rights to his Baldessarini label from Hugo Boss for an undisclosed sum, designer Werner Baldessarini agreed to sell the business on to German fashion maker Ahlers AG Thursday (August 24) for around €6m-€9m.

The total purchase price partly depends on the future turnover of the acquired business, reported Dow Jones.

Ahlers AG has purchased all shares of Baldessarini GmbH & Co KG and its general partner GmbH as well as all rights in the brand Baldessarini except for the perfume business rights, owned under license by Procter & Gamble.

I picked up an Orange Label wool cardigan a few months ago (my first Boss purchase). I can't remember off-hand where it was made. It's very tightly woven wool, thin light weight, sturdy stitching, and has really nice button holes and buttons.

Very happy with it.

Hugo Boss no longer has any affiliation with Baldessarini (correct sp). I don't know if any stuff is still available in stores but it won't be for much longer.

I have a few pieces from different Boss ranges from the last 3 years or so and all quality seems good to me, but I have definately seen somethings in stores where the quality definatley does not match the price.

Excerpt from WGSN:

Just days after buying back rights to his Baldessarini label from Hugo Boss for an undisclosed sum, designer Werner Baldessarini agreed to sell the business on to German fashion maker Ahlers AG Thursday (August 24) for around €6m-€9m.

The total purchase price partly depends on the future turnover of the acquired business, reported Dow Jones.

Ahlers AG has purchased all shares of Baldessarini GmbH & Co KG and its general partner GmbH as well as all rights in the brand Baldessarini except for the perfume business rights, owned under license by Procter & Gamble.

Oh darn what a shame! My local retailers stopped carrying them long time ago. Dont think there is a market for them. Which is strange. So many people are willing to line up and get the normal Boss business shirts and suits, which are not exactly cheap but are unwilling to pay for the top quality stuff?

Boss is a great mid-level suit but you should NEVER pay full retail for it.

I've actually picked up 3 different Boss suits within the last two years and they've held up quite well but I recently blew a huge hole along the seams of my ass on one of them. I don't think I wear my suits especially hard but given I'm sitting on my ass for 11 hours a day (sales trading), sit and drink soju on the floors of Korean restaurants, and the numerous flights of stairs I walk on a daily basis getting to and from the subways, it eventually busted on me (at the fucking office too!).

i bought a boss by hugo boss raw denim last month, the model is denver i think. I like it, the quality is not bad considering the price, 179cdn. I also own a sneaker from this season, very slim sneaker, I like it too though its made in China.

From what I've tried on, seen, and bought I can say that suits are not worth retail, as someone already said, shirts are worth retail and last long (at least the ones from last and season before did), and almost everything that's in casual wear is boring, unoriginal, and rather cheaply made. Of course there are always a couple of exceptions.

From what I've tried on, seen, and bought I can say that suits are not worth retail, as someone already said, shirts are worth retail and last long (at least the ones from last and season before did), and almost everything that's in casual wear is boring, unoriginal, and rather cheaply made. Of course there are always a couple of exceptions.

Their suits arent canvassed. They are fused which means they are pretty much glued together...

• 2 weeks later...
If I wanted a flat black fitted button up shirt, would hugo boss be the correct choice in terms of quality and price?

You'd be better off with Costume National, which can easily be found on sale at similar prices to Hugo Boss. For a bit more, you can expand your options to Jil Sander and Raf Simons.

I think the whole brand is overpriced. Shirts are ok though. I have one slightly striped black suit from Hugo, and the fit and cut is perfect. Made in Turkey, if I remember correctly :) So I'm guessing "Zara quality"?

Boss is divided into Hugo (red label), which is the "trendy youth" label, and VERY Euro; Boss Orange, which is the unbelievably unoriginal and boring "casual" line for middle aged men with a little extra cash; Boss Black is the one with the suits etc.

My favorite is actually Boss Green! It's the "sports line" and has had some pretty futuristic pieces in the past actually.