Dirty Dozen +1 (Around the world...)

cheep

was this fuckng awesome?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. was this fuckng awesome?

• yes
    • fuck yes
    • no.

ok. this morning i taught a mma class on the base. i really love my students. they are so eager to learn martial arts, it really inspires me to be a better teacher. not only are they great students, but they are great people--and i'm starting to think that those two qualities go hand in hand. think about it this way. imagine you are a young man in your 20's sent to a tropical island with beautiful beaches and women--would you be spending your saturday afternoons learning brazilian jiu-jitsu in a stuffy gym, getting your ass kicked? of course not, yet, these guys make it into the gym and train hard, even though they could just chill and get some sleep. i feel really honored to teach these guys and i feel extra honored that they choose to train with me. sorry, i don't have a lot of pics of training but i'm too busy training to take pictures.

after teaching class, i helped yuki clean up her store. then, we went to a bar called Ocean View where my friend Homemade Soul was performing that night.

the bar where we were going is on Gate 2 street. Gate 2 street is the street that runs straight from the gate of the military base. on this street, you can find lots of clothing stores and bars. this is where most of the military people hang out and shop.

1.jpg

there is a big famous intersection on Gate 2 street called the Four Corners. this is where you have "Koza Music Town" a place where you can karaoke, record an album, rehearse with your band, or just eat and drink. Koza (a.k.a. Okinawa City, where i live) is famous for its music scene.

2.jpg

we got to the club and for $10 bucks, we had access to all you can eat soul food and 2 free drinks!

3.jpg

they had po' boy sandwiches.

4.jpg

the party was promoted by DJ Big Easy from New Orleans. a really cool dude who is doing big things on this little island.

5.jpg

Ocean View has very friendly bar staff

6.jpg

7.jpg

at the bar counter, they had signed dollar bills from hundreds of patrons over the years.

8.jpg

one that caught my eye was this one:

9.jpg

is this a dollar bill signed by the real DANA DANE?

danadane.jpg

the place started to get packed.

10.jpg

Homemade Soul is in the building:

11.jpg

Homemade Soul asked me if i wanted to perform with him and of course, i said yes! i ran home and got my horn. we played a set which the crowd really felt.

12.jpg

13.jpg

someone who liked my playing bought me a drink. thanks sean!

14.jpg

after the performance, we chilled upstairs where they have a pool table.

15.jpg

16.jpg

16a.jpg

steve came through.

17.jpg

some friend we made at the bar. can you believe the girl on the left is an elementary school teacher? godammit, where were you when i was in 4th grade???

18.jpg

they have blow-job shooters here.

30.jpg

there were some interesting decorations in the men's bathroom.

31.jpg

after the club, i stopped by Tyrone's bar, Area Cube. Bamboo Cafe's mama-san and her husband, kazu came through. they are awesome people. kazu just bought a harley and named it jenny. he's a big Easy Rider fan.

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

here's a lamp in Tyrone's bar that's made out of an empty whiskey bottle.

36.jpg

i met a bunch of cool people who grew up in okinawa but are americans. red do you know these guys? they saw my trumpet and asked me to play, so i did a little impromptu performance over a bill wither's song. they liked it!

35a.jpg

at Area Cube, i also met a dude from Long Island named Tim. he's a huge Giant's fan. anyways, he told me about hash running. the way he explained it to me is that a bunch of alcohol lovers meet all around the world and go on these crazy runs following a "hare" who gets a 30 minute head start. the hare marks the route using a piece of chalk. after you finish the course you end up going to a bar and pound down beers. in a few hours, i hope to do my first hash run!

you can read about hash running here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers

37.jpg

tim and i went to paddy mac's, which is the most famous irish pub in okinawa city. we caught it right before it closed. it's run by this CRAZY irish dude named marty. the guy has a heart the size of, well, ireland.

38.jpg

a guy asked me if i was a photographer, and i told him that i just take pictures for fun. turns out, he is a legendary photographer (from Queens, New York!) who runs a famous photo studio here. i hope to visit his studio soon. maybe i'll pick up a few tricks!

39.jpg

anyways, marty heard that i was going to do my first hash run. he took me inside and showed me a plaque:

40.jpg

41.jpg

then he bought me an irish car bomb which we drank in unison. what a great human being!

42.jpg

next we went to Loco Island. this bar is run by my friend Makato-san. it is a reggae bar.

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

some okinawan dudes saw my trumpet case and asked if i could play my horn for them, so i did another impromptu performance. don't remember what song as playing at the time. anyways, they really enjoyed it! one of them asked if he could try playing my horn. he wasn't very successful.

46.jpg

tim taught one of them how to do the "fusion" pound.

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

so that was my day. the sun is up now, i am going to try to get a couple hours of sleep before i go on my first hash run. wish me luck!

unfortunately, i checked the okinawa hash runners schedule and there is no hash run scheduled for today. there is one next saturday, though. if i am sufficiently hung-over, i will perform this hash run in my dd+1 jeans.

i would probably pay to see this