Dirty Dozen +1 (Around the world...)

cheep

was this fuckng awesome?  

274 members have voted

1. 1. was this fuckng awesome?

• yes
    • fuck yes
    • no.

today, yuki got the keys for the retail space which will become her new boutique.

1.jpg

pretty empty right now. it used to be a famous music studio for one of the top record labels in okinawa. they've moved to a huge state-of-the-art facility, but hopefully, some of their success will rub off on us. :)

2.jpg

next, we went to makeman. makeman is like home depot on steroids. they have all sorts of DIY stuff.

6.jpg

wood.

15.jpg

lighting.

11.jpg

flowers.

8.jpg

spray paint.

20.jpg

i always try to get a quick workout in whenever i go to makeman.

9.jpg

10.jpg

toilet technology in japan is super-advanced. the toilets here have heated seats and they spray warm water at your asshole. now, that's CLEAN! in the states you have to pay someone good money for that kind of service! not to mention, it's illegal in 11 states.

16.jpg

makeman has a nice assortment of fish.

12.jpg

believe it or not, they sell poisonous baby puffer fish, aka fugu. they're cute but possess a liver full of deadly toxins. kinda like some girls i've dated in the past.

13.jpg

they had a dressing room so you could try on different uniforms, etc. inside i discovered the most ridiculous engrish i've ever seen.

17.jpg

i usually carry both “cheaks” into the dressing room.

18.jpg

me having fun with some cinder blocks.

19.jpg

nothing says “DIY” like a white guy with a saw.

21.jpg

for dinner, we went to a special japanese izakaya (bar restaurant) called “ugokumachi,” which means “moving town.” it reminded me of the inn in "spirited away." it was like being in a beautiful but eery world.

23.jpg

like many japanese restaurants, you must remove your shoes. they have lockers available so someone doesn't steal your limited edition dunks.

24.jpg

this izakaya is supposed to capture the feel of the night before a japanese matsuri (festival). the night before a matsuri there's always a big party.

our booth.

26.jpg

28.jpg

the view from our booth was beautiful.

27.jpg

japanese menus are action-packed.

25.jpg

30.jpg

in japan, you can press a button to call the wait staff over.

37.jpg

our first dish was a daikon salad.

31.jpg

next, spicy tuna spring rolls.

32.jpg

chinese style pan-fried seafood noodles.

33.jpg

deep fried chicken drizzled with ginger dressing.

34.jpg

at this point, the lights go completely off and loud club music starts blasting in the izakaya. then the whole place lights up in purple lights and a disco ball shines light everywhere.

36.jpg

38.jpg

apparently, they are having a drink special for 30 minutes. while the club music is playing and the disco ball is twirling, you can get a discount on cocktails.

we settle for a delicious dessert instead. toasted danishes with vanilla ice cream...

35.jpg

i had such a great time here. the place had such an ethereal ambiance.

39.jpg

we finish off the night by stopping by kozakura, one of my favorite bars. it's run by our friend masako-san who is an extraordinary person. she has dedicated her life to this town and its citizens. in the day time, she runs an NPO for the koza community. at night, she runs this bar, which is like the cheers of koza. at kozakura, you can meet a lot of very interesting people—surgeons, chefs, musicians, government officials, writers, business people—and that's just the regulars. just tonight, we randomly met a famous record label owner and a world-ranked professional boxer. this place reminds me of the old bars you read about that were places where all the intellectuals, entrepreneurs and artists met. a very special place indeed.

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

Was the boxer Japanese? Japanese boxers haven't been impressive lately, but I'm curious. I wanna to deduce who he is and boxrec him.

(I love boxing so much.)

(I'm the biggest boxing fan I know)

(And I am ridiculously enthralled by your Okinawan account here, miz)

The atmosphere of that bar looks awesome, it appears to me as if someone opened a bar in their house and invited friends over every night.

at every japanese restaurant or bar, they will give you a moist hand towel. it's customary to wipe your hands with it, but it's considered bad form to wipe your face with it. i'm not sure what they will do if you wipe your ass with it.

44.jpg

45.jpg

tonight i drink awamori. awamori is the official distilled liquor of okinawa. it's made from thai rice and like all good things, get better with age. awamori is usually 60 proof and tastes nice and has a robust taste. traditionally, you drink it on the rocks mixed with water. this stuff can get you pretty drunk, pretty damn quick. but, the best thing about awamori is that the following day, you will rarely get a hang over.

awamori can come in clay jars like this:

46.jpg

but it usually comes in bottles like this:

47.jpg

48.jpg

mix with ice and water and you're good to go.

49.jpg

kampai!

50.jpg

that's all for now! see you all tomorrow.

today was a pretty uneventful day. it's typhoon season right now in okinawa so the weather has been rainy. every year around this time, typhoons hit the region. it's not a big deal, if anything, it's a big excuse to go the bar and drink. the houses here are usually made out of concrete so rarely is there any damage. people here have been coexisting with typhoons for thousands of years. in fact, when there are no major typhoons (like this year), it causes problems for farmers who rely on rain water it brings. hopefully, a big typhoon will hit in the next couple weeks so i can show you some pics.

1.jpg

we went to makeman again to look at flooring. on the way over, i saw a funny sign for a dentist office. i hope they are talking about your teeth:

2.jpg

at makeman, they have a blue seal ice cream stand. blue seal is okinawa's favorite ice cream. they've been scooping out ice cream to locals for 60 years. their ice cream is really good and they have okinawan-themed flavors that aren't available at the other spots.

25.jpg

3.jpg

today, i ordered a very okinawan ice cream combination. the purple scoop is ice cream made from okinawan sweet potatoes. the bottom scoop is called "blue wave" and it's basically sherbet with pineapple chunks. both tasted fantastic!

4.jpg

5.jpg

at makeman, they have items that you don't see at home depot. for instance, you can buy mini tatami mats that add a nice japanese touch to your home. they give off a nice fresh straw smell. in japan, people take off their shoes in the house, so tatami mats are comfortable to walk on. also, in the summertime, they stay nice and cool, whereas carpet can get pretty warm.

6.jpg

7.jpg

these are goza straw mats. they are like tatami's lightweight cousin. you can throw these on the floor whenever you want to sit on a straw mat. when you're done, you can roll them up.

8.jpg

some of you may be wondering what kind of sandals i've been wearing. they are sandals made by mr. and mrs. maeda in naha, okinawa.

mr. maeda is the son of a sandal maker. he has been designing and making footwear for many years. in milan, he studied italian shoe making. now, he and his wife run their own sandal shop called "eyefinger" in okinawa. eyefinger is the name of an okinawan tree frog. since it only lives on land, it doesn't have webbed feet.

eyefinger.jpg

anyways, the cool thing about the eyefinger sandals is that they get better with age! the okinawan climate has been too hot and humid for the heavy leather boots that i love so much. luckily i came across mr. maeda's sandals that over time mold to your foot and develop a nice patina.

here's an example of maeda-san's own pair of sandals that he wore over a year. they started out looking like the pair on the left.

13.jpg

he makes many different styles...

14.jpg

i got a pair in this style:

11.jpg

12.jpg

here's how they look with the evisu's...

9.jpg

10.jpg

i've been wearing these everyday and they are super comfortable. the leather is already conforming to my feet. in a few months, i think they are going to look and feel pretty nice. if i'm satisfied with how they perform, i am going to see if i can sell these to people outside of okinawa.

anyways, that's today's update. might go drinking tonight, we'll see.