I don't get Staple Design

Guest freedomfighter

these gigs happening probably because he understands the scene, been there and done that. i've never really see his design or strategic marketing idea for any other brands before so i don't have any comment on that. he does it well in whatever he's doing though.

I don't think anything that Staple Design sells (ie shirts) are their bread and butter. The reality is, he is so successful as a trendsetter and advisor to the big companies that he's rich enough to make the ugliest stuff he wants. He truly doesn't care how well it sells because his real talent is in consulting. The opposite is true of brands like the Hundreds which makes ugly tees. They rely on these products entirely for their income. Luckily for them, people love it.

Guest Montreal
Yes I second that. Employees working there are great.

There's also that one really cute girl workin there...

I think she posts here.. DC Revolution or something like that?

Is it just me or is Jeff "Staple" a really bad designer?

His stuff is boring, the store is lousy [although the mags and books are really good],

but he makes more money than a lot of guys in the scene?

I mean, really. This makes me not want to buy Timberlands.

http://www.hypebeast.com/2007/05/staple-design-x-timberland-easter-stolen-sample/

Jeff is a great guy with an excellent business acumen. You only see his situation from a consumer level. Taste-makers on his level rarely design, they actually lead entire design and creative teams.

You should dig a little deeper into streetwear culture, you'll find that things that may look boring have much more meaning.

I worked with him on a project 5 years ago the guy has vision and is cool as a fan.