Obenauf's Oil vs. LP - The explanation

anders

I've been trying to figure out what the right Obenauf's product is for belts, wallets, shoes, etc. for the last week or so. I wasn't able to find a definative answer on SuFu so I asked the man himself. Instead of giving a summary of the answer I'll post the whole e-mail chain so its clear what I asked and what he replied (cleaned up with signatures and such removed):

Original e-mail:

Hello. I just recently bought a very nice leather belt and I want

to take care of it as best I can. I don't know much about leather

but it is a thicker belt and seems like it is a natural leather

color (light tan/pink) with little prior treatment. I would like

to darken it and also soften it. I am not too concerned about

waterproof and such since it is a belt and won't be subject to

harsh conditions. Which Obenauf's leather product would you

recommend?

Robert@Obenauf's reply:

I'd recommend using our Leather Oil on it. It will darken and soften as

it soaks in.

My reply:

Thanks for the response Robert. What product would you use for quality leather dress shoes? Would the oil or the LP be better? From reading your site it seems like oil is to keep the leather moist and soft while LP is more for protection. Is this correct?

His response:

I'd recommend the Leather Oil for the dress shoes. The LP is for heavy

duty protection against the elements and is better suited for hiking

boots, work boots, etc.

-------------------------------------

As you can see Robert was very helpful. I also asked him questions about shipping but didn't include it. Sounds like its ~$5 shipping for just the Oil, and ~$8 for their "Combination Special." If anyone in San Francisco wants to go in with me on an order let me know. I'll be placing an order soon.

*The belt I bought is the Sugar Cane Garrision belt in natural.

Guest doubletap

mink oil is what cowboys used to use. you shouldnt worry so much. I still dont get why so many heads emulate workwear style like 501s, leathers, redwings etc. but baby their shit like its not meant to wear out.

I agree with you on the whole "babying" issue (when to wash, how many washes, etc.). However, I choose my clothes because they are quality and I want to keep them nice. I wear the clothes as a computer engineer in the city (San Francisco) and don't try to pretend that I am some rustic cowboy.

I am also OCD when it comes to picking the "right" thing so I also wanted the "right" leather care product. I've seen other people ask similar questions and I wanted to let people know what I found out. Just trying to share the knowledge.

interesting------------i don't think caring for your goods should be considered "babying" at all.

i wouldn't use mink oil as it seems to be deleterious to leather; the fact that cowboys used it doesn't mean it is good for the leather------the marlboro man smoked cigarettes, and he isn't the model for good health

Guest doubletap

the mink oil that is sold over the counter is made of a combination of natural mink fat and silicone. I dont see how those two basic ingredients can be harmful to leather, especially high quality leather like that used by redmoon which is much more durable anyways.

I am not saying that Obenauf oil is not quality, I've never tried it really, but I just think they are profiting from those who worry too much about something that is designed to eventually be distressed in the first place. As long as leather stays oily, I think that is adequate protection and care.

• 2 weeks later...
the mink oil that is sold over the counter is made of a combination of natural mink fat and silicone. I dont see how those two basic ingredients can be harmful to leather, especially high quality leather like that used by redmoon which is much more durable anyways.

I am not saying that Obenauf oil is not quality, I've never tried it really, but I just think they are profiting from those who worry too much about something that is designed to eventually be distressed in the first place. As long as leather stays oily, I think that is adequate protection and care.

I'm guessing you've never dropped $700-$800 on a custom pair of boots only to have them cooked and falling apart in less than a year.

• 5 weeks later...
I think Kiwi stuff has color in it, right? Don't do it. Just spring for the Obenauf's--i't's not very expensive. Unless it's a total POS wallet, then who cares.

Well my wallet is black and the polish is black...my black ferragamos turn out pretty good with the kiwi, why wouldn`t my wallet? Not trying to be a dick but I dont really see why I shouldnt use it on the wallet ?

I don't know anything about the other brands but I chose Obenauf's because of all the recommendations here. However, I bought my belt and plan on buying a wallet and leather dress shoes in the near future. If I only had one leather item and didn't plan on buying others I probabably wouldn't have cared much and would have just gotten something from the local leather store. I definately wouldn't have paid $38 (combo special small incl. s/h) to take care of my $80 belt but since I plan on spending $400-500 on leather goods I don't mind spending ~10% of the price to keep the leather in good condition.

Just to let people know, I was able to substitute the Leather Cleaner in place of the LP. After my e-mails with them I dodn't think I need the LP since it is for "heavy duty protection against the elements" and I'll have the Oil to use instead. It actually took about 3 e-mails over a months time for them to respond to my request. Not sure if they didn't check their e-mail or what. You can also just do what they told me to do and write in the comments that you'd like to substitue the Cleaner for the LP.

Milspex -

Polishes like Kiwi are intended to shine and partially waterproof shoes. They are largely composed of synthetic materials and do very little for actually sustaining the life of shoes and protecting the leather (other than minor protection from the elements and minimal conditioning).

If you are someone who really wants to get a lifetime of use out of your shoes, you need to use both a conditioner and a polish, as the conditioner will keep the leather clean, supple and nourished. As for wallets (where polishing is unnecessary for obvious reasons), you want to go strictly with an oil like Obenauf's, a leather conditioner, or mink oil/cream.

Bottom line is, you don't need to spend money to get a bottle of Obenauf's mailed to you. Even where you are in Japan, I guarantee you that other leather conditioners/oils are readily available at affordable prices (under or around $5).

Milspex -

Polishes like Kiwi are intended to shine and partially waterproof shoes. They are largely composed of synthetic materials and do very little for actually sustaining the life of shoes and protecting the leather (other than minor protection from the elements and minimal conditioning).

If you are someone who really wants to get a lifetime of use out of your shoes, you need to use both a conditioner and a polish, as the conditioner will keep the leather clean, supple and nourished. As for wallets (where polishing is unnecessary for obvious reasons), you want to go strictly with an oil like Obenauf's, a leather conditioner, or mink oil/cream.

Bottom line is, you don't need to spend money to get a bottle of Obenauf's mailed to you. Even where you are in Japan, I guarantee you that other leather conditioners/oils are readily available at affordable prices (under or around $5).

I`ve been learned good.

Thanks England.

• 3 months later...

I found this article to be interesting.

Excerpt:

When you put silicone on leather, it seals it up and your feet sweat and the inside of the boot rots.

Of course, this is not as applicable to belts and wallets, but it may explain why some people prefer Obenauf's for boots.

I found this article to be interesting.

Excerpt:

When you put silicone on leather, it seals it up and your feet sweat and the inside of the boot rots.

Of course, this is not as applicable to belts and wallets, but it may explain why some people prefer Obenauf's for boots.