Levi's 503 BXX

robbie

LEVIS001.jpg

LEVIS003.jpg

LEVIS004.jpg

I picked these 503 Bxx's up around Christmas in a thrift store. I've tried contacting Levis twice to get an estimate as to their age etc and they've yet to reply.

The waist tag is paper and reads Lot 503 BXX W29 L34.

The back pockets contain hidden rivets.

Big E

Redline

No size or care tags inside the jeans, just the back paper waist patch.

They are buttonfly, the top button on the fly has a 'K' stamped on its back, there is also the V stitching.

The coin pocket does not contain selvage.

I am not sure what other details might be of use. But I was just looking for some info and maybe an estimate as to their value.

I'd searched through a lot of the 501 threads, but wasn't able to find any info about 503's or BXX.

Thank you.

robbie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

it seems that the 503B-xx is a japanese repro of the 1950's 501, maybe not avalaible anymore.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/5pocket-jeans/503bxx-01/

I just purchased one from ebay size W32 L34 in excellent condition, was only worn a couple of times. It has yellow stitching, the tag is leather like, has J22 stamped in the back of the top button.

I would also like to have an estimation if possible, here are photos :

IMG_9072.jpg

IMG_9073.jpg

thanks

id say late 50s, since it has a paper tag, but hidden rivets. j on the button, on the second pair, is consistant with japanese made levis. the K on the first pair, im not sure, but i think it may be true vintage. are there any tags inside of the jeans? also, can you get a good colse up of the red tab? should be able to tell if it is a repro if you do that.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
id say late 50s, since it has a paper tag, but hidden rivets. j on the button, on the second pair, is consistant with japanese made levis. the K on the first pair, im not sure, but i think it may be true vintage. are there any tags inside of the jeans? also, can you get a good colse up of the red tab? should be able to tell if it is a repro if you do that.

The tab is double sided 'LEVI'S'

I got Lynn Downeys number from 800-usalevi, if all else fails I'll leave her a voice mail about the whole 'K' thing.

Cheep is right, they are late 50s or early 60s, most likely latter (seeing inside of rivets would help). Definitely original and not Japanese I reckon. Nice jeans.

Edit: 502 and 503 were Boys and Youths' jeans (I believe 502 Boys, 503 Youths, tho I can't find the relevant info sheet). 502 later became a separate zipper jean, but the 503 are essentially teenagers' sizes of 501.

Hopefully Madeline will drop by with an accurate assessment of value, these are nice looking jeans but you will be lucky to get the amount you'd get for a comparable 501, simply because they're that much smaller.

A 501 of this date in a decent size might fetch $500 (I recently sold a late 60s pair for $300)... but the pricetag of these, like the size, will be lower . if you're selling on eBay, make sure you work out postage to Japan, where hopefully someone will be able to squeeze into them

Is it possible that the B refers to the button fly?

Makes absolute sense.

Has anyone noticed how huge the pockets are, proportionally, on the eBay jeans? looks cute, kinda like Japanese animation were all kids have button noses and huge eyes.

RObbie's jeans, in my eyes, have the quintessential 50s colour, a very grey blue, fading to a very grey white.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pix. Horrible distressing!

LVC Japan did do a raw version, too, I'm looking at the photos here. I guess that 503, like the 502, also became an adult's size jean, but I'm only guessing; I have some model guides, but they don't always cover when the same number was used twice.

I can't see any difference between the Japanese LVC 503 and the 501, except it obviously dates from around 1953, as it has a leather patch. But if anyone here speaks Japanese, I can post a pic with the model info from the catalogue.