justinbaily21

Favorite Quotes?

When I came back to Dublin I was courtmartialed in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence.

- Brendan Behan

To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.

- Voltaire

pretty much every quote here

i love that guy

Holy shit, can't rep. That single twitterer pretty much justifies the existence of something as useless as twitter. Funny as fuck. I wish he was my dad (<3).

Guest I LOVE LFC

"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared

to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

"Those who want to live, let them fight, and those who do not want to fight in this world of eternal struggle do not deserve to live."

kind of have mixed feelings about this, especially considering who it's from.

Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.

- Samuel Johnson

where is this from? it seems like it contradicts his thoughts on the ascetic ideal. not trying to be a dick just sayin'

Not sure either, only place it seems to show up on teh interwebs;

Friedrich Nietzsche, ‘On Little Old and Young Women’ in Thus Spoke Zarathustra, trans. Walter Kaufman, in The Portable Nietzsche, New York: Penguin Books, 1954, p.178-9.

pretty much every quote here

i love that guy

I like how the only person he follows on twitter is Levar Burton as well.

good stuff, must spread

"I am not a man, I am an idea. And you cannot kill an idea."

I am looking for a particular quote that either has the words "exploration" and "wisdom" or relates to those two concepts together. In essence, I am looking for a quote that the concept of exploring will enhance one's wisdom or knowledge.

For example, an Ansel Adams Quote,

“In wisdom gathered over time I have found that every experience is a form of exploration.”

One of my favorites:

"Wouldn't the sentence 'I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign' have been clearer if quotation marks had been placed before Fish, and between Fish and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and Chips, as well as after Chips?"

--Martin Gardner

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity."

-- Albert Einstein

“Never play cards with a man called Doc. Never eat at a place called Mom's. Never sleep with a woman whose troubles are worse than your own.”

Nelson Algren

“Idle youth, enslaved to everything; by being too sensitive I have wasted my life.”

- Rimbaud

"Sometimes when I look at you, I feel I'm gazing at a distant star. It's dazzling, but the light is from tens of thousands of years ago. Maybe the star doesn't even exist any more. Yet sometimes that light seems more real to me than anything."

"We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them." - John Waters

"Love Man. Follow God."

-Marcus Aurelius

I understand this to mean: have great compassion towards your brethren and be forgiving. Ultimately, strive towards perfection: do not let trends dictate your moral code. Be unwavering in your ideals.

"They prostituted every goddamn thing I had. I had the greatest gravy in the world and those sons of bitches-- they dragged it out and extended it and watered it down that I'm so goddamn mad!" - Colonel Sanders, not impressed with the penny pinching after he sold kfc

"It was not only that I could not become spiteful, I did not know how to become anything; neither spiteful nor kind, neither a rascal nor an honest man, neither a hero nor an insect. Now, I am living out my life in my corner, taunting myself with the spiteful and useless consolation that an intelligent man cannot become anything seriously, and it is only the fool who becomes"

- Fyodor Dostoevsky

When one's expectation is reduced to zero, one really appreciates everything one does have.

"If you walked out of bed today, and had a job to go to, and a home to come back to, and someone waiting there who cares about you… the game’s over and you’ve won. That's the truest thing i know."

- Larry Miller

There is no end. There is no beginning. There is only the passion of life.

Fellini

On a long enough timeline, the life expectancy of everyone becomes zero - Tyler Durden

It is perilous to make a chasm in human affections; not that they gape so long and wide -- but so quickly close again!

-Nathaniel Hawthorne

Thread's dry. I know you're all encountering things that you didn't say, which you like.

There is nothing so terrifying as a blank sheet of paper.

- Mike Baron

Get me some cigarettes on your way home, and I'll buy you some panties.

-me