HARDCORE SAVED MY LIFE

its honestly not for the real kids still into it

l_58113fa36a7d876a6745234e63011376.jpg

KILL YOUR IDOLS IN NEW JERSEY

www.myspace.com/killyouridols

too bad they are broken up

eh its pretty bad now though, look at the last sentence that you said. granted there is some decent shit going on but not the same thats for sure.

Speaking of movies...I was on myspace and the first thing I see is this:

Punk's Not Dead

I'm not sure how I feel about that...one of the critics states "I liked it much more than American Hardcore"...maybe a bit more comprehensive in terms of old school to whatever the fuck is happening recently (although it looks like there's no modern day underground heads)...I felt my stomach turn when I saw such a heavy presence of all these pop bands who claim to be making punk music like Good Charlotte, Green Day, the Offspring, Sum 41, etc.

It's no wonder why the older cats, as seen in American Hardcore, are saying that it's dead. The "Golden Age" of punk and hardcore is certainly over...as I'm sure we all agree about it...now we just have a handful of bands with a strong old school influence to look towards.

give me 50 kids watching a legit band playing their heart out in an overcrowded basement and thats what im talking about

you are getting +rep for this.

it may be stating the obvious but this is the bottom line, i don't care what genre of music we are talking about(even if hardcore taught me this lesson)

• 2 weeks later...

The show at the church will be the highlight of my summer.

www.crashandbang.com

8/15/07 Worcester, MA

8/16/07 Philadelphia, PA

8/17/07 NYC, NY

8/18/07 Baltimore, MD

8/19/07 Richmond, VA

8/20/07 Pittsburgh, PA

8/21/07 Detroit, MI

8/22/07 Chicago, Il

8/23/07 Iowa City, IA

8/24/07 Omaha, NE

8/25/07 Lawrence, KS

Aw man...not to get off of topic here...but I just read this article in the new Rollingstone Mag...basically about "hardcore" crews...focusing on one called FSU. Linking them to bands like 25 Ta Life, Ramalah, and a bunch of other bands who are considered to be in the hardcore category...although many would say things liek "thugcore" or "thrash" or "screamo" or whatever other newfangled genre termage you can throw at these newfangled bands...even mentions Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy. Pretty disturbing article...not in a surprising sort of way, but just because it shows how ignorant people can be when they're caught up in an illusion of grandeur...in this case, thinking they are doing good by brawling with any nazi sympathizers, unruly bouncers, jocks, and so on...meanwhile they are just playing a very similar part of the problem. They say shit like "we're against any illegal activities...we're not selling drugs on the corner or getting into shoot outs"...meanwhile they got members behind the wall for manslaughter, robbery, and shit like that. I don't know man, that's always the problem with a "scene"...you get people who take shit to the next level...the original intentions and messages get convoluted along the journey and you're left with some real outlandish cesspool'ish behavior (and music, alike).

Granted, this IS an article in Rolling Stone...so I read it with caution...and granted, I do not know much about FSU or FSU bands...nor do I care for that brand of music or subculture (yes there was violence in both OG hardcore and hip hop...but the shit they talk about in the article -much like what has happened to Hip Hop, at least from a Rolling Stone standpoint- is degenerations away from the original movement...)...I just hate how this type of stuff is chosen to "define" what modern day hardcore is. New eyes and ears think gutterals and Slipknot'ish knucklehead rap/nu-metal in an underground venue is hardcore (not to overuse terms that leave one bound-to-genre).

Aw man...not to get off of topic here...but I just read this article in the new Rollingstone Mag...basically about "hardcore" crews...focusing on one called FSU. Linking them to bands like 25 Ta Life, Ramalah, and a bunch of other bands who are considered to be in the hardcore category...although many would say things liek "thugcore" or "thrash" or "screamo" or whatever other newfangled genre termage you can throw at these newfangled bands...even mentions Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy. Pretty disturbing article...not in a surprising sort of way, but just because it shows how ignorant people can be when they're caught up in an illusion of grandeur...in this case, thinking they are doing good by brawling with any nazi sympathizers, unruly bouncers, jocks, and so on...meanwhile they are just playing a very similar part of the problem. They say shit like "we're against any illegal activities...we're not selling drugs on the corner or getting into shoot outs"...meanwhile they got members behind the wall for manslaughter, robbery, and shit like that. I don't know man, that's always the problem with a "scene"...you get people who take shit to the next level...the original intentions and messages get convoluted along the journey and you're left with some real outlandish cesspool'ish behavior (and music, alike).

Granted, this IS an article in Rolling Stone...so I read it with caution...and granted, I do not know much about FSU or FSU bands...nor do I care for that brand of music or subculture (yes there was violence in both OG hardcore and hip hop...but the shit they talk about in the article -much like what has happened to Hip Hop, at least from a Rolling Stone standpoint- is degenerations away from the original movement...)...I just hate how this type of stuff is chosen to "define" what modern day hardcore is. New eyes and ears think gutterals and Slipknot'ish knucklehead rap/nu-metal in an underground venue is hardcore (not to overuse terms that leave one bound-to-genre).

i don't know enough to make any of what i'm saying credible, since i am a) young, B) in canada and i don't think there are any crews here except for maybe 5 courage dudes who crept across the detroit-windsor border, and c) don't know any crew guys well enough to judge them all... but there was a time not too long ago when every city was crawling with nazis who would terrorize everyone at a punk show. it was crews like fsu that drove those asshats out, so whatever they are now, at least they should be recognized for doing that.

the difference is while mid-80's toronto hardcore, for example, had a huge nazi problem, it was taken care of as a collective community for the good of toronto hardcore, not in the name of a crew. in any case i don't think crews are bad, but when fsu or courage or whatever are forming chapters, there is probably going to be some dilution of quality control when jocks, meatheads and assorted dumbfucks designate themselves part of said crews.

you should also take that article with a grain of salt. i don't think anyone would call ramallah or 25 ta life "thrash" or "screamo"... except for some clueless, insulated writer who writes for an even more out-of-touch publication. rolling stone isn't even a music magazine anymore.

i saw ramallah & shattered relam in this space that could have on a good day held about 60 people... packed with about 150... kids going ape shit...

i don't know enough to make any of what i'm saying credible, since i am a) young, B) in canada and i don't think there are any crews here except for maybe 5 courage dudes who crept across the detroit-windsor border, and c) don't know any crew guys well enough to judge them all... but there was a time not too long ago when every city was crawling with nazis who would terrorize everyone at a punk show. it was crews like fsu that drove those asshats out, so whatever they are now, at least they should be recognized for doing that.

the difference is while mid-80's toronto hardcore, for example, had a huge nazi problem, it was taken care of as a collective community for the good of toronto hardcore, not in the name of a crew. in any case i don't think crews are bad, but when fsu or courage or whatever are forming chapters, there is probably going to be some dilution of quality control when jocks, meatheads and assorted dumbfucks designate themselves part of said crews.

you should also take that article with a grain of salt. i don't think anyone would call ramallah or 25 ta life "thrash" or "screamo"... except for some clueless, insulated writer who writes for an even more out-of-touch publication. rolling stone isn't even a music magazine anymore.

I agree with most of what you're saying...pretty on point...

But I sorta chuckled and agreed with the writer's sentiments in saying that newer (90's...especially "NYHC") bands like 25 Ta Life, Skarhead, Madball, Ramallah, Shattered Realm, etc. have sonically deviated from the super raw, fuzzed up guitars with shouted vocals, like those in old school HC, and crossed genes with thrash metal...where most vocals are gutterals, and the sound is that nu metal'ish overdose on effects. What's funny is that some of these bands go as far as to mention "Metal" as an influence (obviously this goes far past Sabbath), yet the fans still choose to hate on Metal heads at shows or in general.

IMO, it's like how today's punk bands are shown as Fall Out Boy and AFI...

Bah humbug...I'm just one of those jaded motherfuckers at this point...that type of "'core" isn't the Hardcore that "Saved My Life."

• 2 weeks later...

canice, you assessment is pretty on point. i'm glad hardcore didn't go in the same direction oi! did, and fsu/courage played an integral role in keeping hardcore free of rabid boneheads although hardcore still can be very racist (see b9 boards for details).

that said, i just spent my water bill on vinyl at this place in amsterdam called independent outlet. and i consider myself drug free.

http://www.outlet.nl/

Just picked up Born Against's "Rebel Sound of Shit and Failure" CD...which basically chronicals all of the non-LP tracks (except one...which happens to not be on any of the two CD's they have out). Real aggro late'80's.early90's NY shit...