HARDCORE SAVED MY LIFE

I'd personally start with "the first four years" as it's a bit easier to swallow and sonically better in my opinion. That's the era of black flag i always (even rollins says) I've enjoyed the most.

Good call with regan youth. I read a story about how the singer's girlfriend was killed by David Berkowitz, the son of sam. It's crazy to think about that far back in hardcore. The beastie boys first album (some old bullshit) was all NYC hardcore and they continiously give props to regan youth throughout the album(s).

True...I can agree on that about the early Flag material...it IS a bit less of a wallop. I just think as far as full albums go, "Damaged" has more of a flow and overall complete feel to it (starting with "Rise Above" into "Spray Paint" and so on...the ending to it is perfect IMO...esp. for what they were about/going for feeling-wise). That being said, "Nervous Breakdown," "Wasted" and "Revenge" are some fuckin' great songs to get to know Flag by. I really love "Everything Turned Black" cause of the great amount of aggro Dez material on there...his versions of "Damaged II" and "Police Story" are just too rad.

Yes...the Beasties have some great hardcore material...whether the older Polywog Stew shit...or the '95 "Oglio" stuff...there's also some footy on youtube where they're doin' a strictly hardcore set and cover Circle Jerks' "Red Tape"...Mike D is the man as far as presence and vocals go. And yea...I think anyone in NYC and into hardcore would be nuts to not respect/love the shit out of Reagan Youth...just an ill band...no doubt about it (I'm actually going to see them tomorrow at Tomkin's Square Park...no Dave obviously...but I think Pat Distraction performs the music pretty damned well...hey, it beats seeing/hearing any of the post-Danzig Misfits incarnations).

Beasties in '95 HC set

High School Beasties band footy

Not quite. Dave Insurgent's GF was killed by another serial killer, Joel Rifkin, in the early 90's. She was turning tricks to support their smack habits and Rifkin picked her up and murdered her the same way he killed a buch of other prostitutes. Dave killed himself a few months later.

Yea...sad shit...his mom died that year too.

absolutely adore reagan youth, can't listen to them to often though.

Their live & rare record reminds me of too many bad times.

And postlude- the last track; It's just slap back reverbed (?) guitar and then noise, but it makes me really sad.

fuck.

its looks like ian giving dude the secret code handshake or ian drawing a big x on kids hand in hopes of having him converge.

a newer band that im liking : shook ones....kinda got that lifetime feel..good stuff.

What the fuck is goin' on in that pic? I'm actuallly inebriated right now, so that just looks crazy.

IF that question was to me, I do, Rollins...but at the time that I originally saw the pic...I was gone and didn't know if there was a specific reason behind posting it (other than just a pic of two iconic figures in hardcore). Kinda ironic since there is a bit of SxE talk here.

i just downloaded the american hardcore DVD off punktorrents.com. need to watch it today

That's a good one...although it pretty much fails to even mention the DK's, Misfits, and Circle Jerks (maybe not the Jerks...but the first two certainly aren't featured)...but other than that, some really great interviews and performances. If you have that plus "Decline..."...you've got some nice footage of some great bands.

That's a good one...although it pretty much fails to even mention the DK's, Misfits, and Circle Jerks (maybe not the Jerks...but the first two certainly aren't featured)...

I noticed that too (though Bobby Steele was in there for a bit) and I have to think that it was because the bands in question didn't cooperate. I mean, it's such a glaring omission.

he was wearing some kind of bulletproof vest under his linen suit, but was probably just a phonebook since it looked all lumpy and wrong. also, he made a lot of peace signs and kept pulling this sheet of folded up paper out of his pocket, unfolding it, reading it, smiling like a goon, and then putting it back in his pocket.

oh, and that cruise happened.

http://bp2.blogger.com/_ErRCV1UiqVU/Rom-EWi2_KI/AAAAAAAAANw/EDM7sDxLIWU/s1600-h/IMG_2149.JPG

http://bp3.blogger.com/_ErRCV1UiqVU/RonAAmi2_OI/AAAAAAAAAOQ/i5EJedhG7ng/s1600-h/IMG_2181.JPG

Yea...I've seen the motorcycle helmet footage on youtube (I think it was CB's)... that cruise certainly did happen...I was wondering about that though...wouldn't the boat capsize or have a passenger thrown overboard? H.R. may stand in one place now...but the fans still get it goin'.

Re: American Hardcore... yea Bobby Steele was featured...I guess that is true about not agreeing to be featured or something like that. Pity though, cause the rest of it is pretty damned comprehensive...seems a bit incomplete if you're trying to ball up and showcase the culture/music to a new head (via this documentary).

yo

i wish i went on the bad brains summer cruise in NYC, or did that not even happen

i saw lucero on the cruise a few days before the bad brains show and it was the worst show i have ever been to. it was super quiet and the boat is set up so where if you're not in the front row, you can't see shit. OH, and beers are $7 fucking dollars. thank god i brought whiskey.

i love how canice's first pic has THAT GUY with his bad brains shirt on when he's going to see bad brains.

But seriously, that looks like a metalhead prom...unfortunately I'm 99.9% sure that the pic was taken a few months ago somewhere in middle "MTV's Sweet Sixteen" America.

The NYHC scene is pretty fuckin' shitty at this point...it's progressed (read: regressed) into a bunch of dreadlocked and pierced derelicts who growl and scream about being the toughest tough guy out there. Shit sounds and looks like some Nu Metal bullshit. I could seriously see/hear Korn or SLipknot in there somewhere. But they want to say they're different because they are HC and hate money and corporations and celebrities.

I guess it's like any other musical genre/subgenre that gets in good with the younger people (i.e. Hip Hop as well)...starts off somewhat pure and progressive...then usually someone cashes in on it and brings a large amount of money to the equation and shit gets commodified...or it just turns into that "underdog'ish" trend and, either way, becomes "really cool" to be a part of...so now you have a bunch of people claiming it because they have a Crimson Ghost on a t-shirt, wear chains, spikes, studs, patches, and have dirty looking hair. Or...simply, bad music gets made by people who have no roots (or just suck)...and since there isn't shit else going on, it becomes the norm to everyone just getting into it.