Denim Progress: Nudie RR Dry Selvage 4 months

They shrank about an .25" on the waist and 1.5" on the length. I washed them inside out on hot with hang drying. I also starch them twice a week or so to keep the hige and honeycomb areas stiff. No rubbing though except for my palms. Oh I should add that I wear them every day for about 10-12 hours a day, and ride them when I'm biking, drinking, whatever. The butt area is worn down pretty heavy because I go to the beach a couple times a week and sit on the rocks.

Edited by wild_whiskey on Jun 10, 2005 at 03:51 PM

hi wild_whiskey!

I really appreciate seeing those. Good work! You did very well. Is it the Eternal recipe?

More information/details please... I think the starch is important.

I'll try to bring some spray starch from Germany but I'll have to wait some months for that.

They don't have it in my country. Should a home-made starch (water, corn-starch) do the same?

Do you think the washings accelerated the wear? So many questions, sorry.

Thanks all... No I don't have larger pics.. I got the camera at work because I was the only one in the office on friday icon_smile_evil.gif

I'm gonna wear em for awhile without washing and then wash them again probably at 7 months or so total... I'm pretty satisfied with how they turned out at this point so I'm not relaly intent on getting crazy wear.

Haha, wait, Brian, since you were the only one at the office on friday- did you bring those pants along (knowing you'd be the only one) or did you drop trou and take the pictures in your skivvies? That would have been hilarious if someone walked in, a cleaning lady, a boss, anyone.

• 1 month later...

hahaha okay

1) I wore my gym pants while I took the pictures.

2) I don't have pictures of them brand new, sorry. They pretty much look like this though [url=" http://www.nudiejeans.com/collection/content/03%20Regular%20Ralf/regular_ralf-dry_selvage_f.jpg"] <a href="http://www.nudiejeans.com/collection/content/03%20Regular%20Ralf/regular_ralf-dry_selvage_f.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.nudiejeans.com/collection/content/03%20Regular%20Ralf/regular_ralf-dry_selvage_f.jpg</a>

3) The back pocket developed holes quickly because my wallet has a metal bar in the middle that sticks out on around the corners. so that coupled with many days at the beach created pretty big holes. I'll patch them up when they get too big :)

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like if you add salt you would get more free chlorine ions since the Na and Cl would break apart. I don't know if that would makes as much of an effect as sodium hypochlorite would though. I was always told that vinegar "fixes" the indigo, which is not really desireable if you are trying to get a good fade.

I found this:

Chlorine is chlorine, so the chlorine in bleach is the same as the chlorine in drinking water and in a swimming pool. In fact, you can use chlorine bleach to treat a swimming pool or to treat drinking water. A gallon of bleach provides 1 part per million (PPM) of chlorine to 60,000 gallons (about 250,000 liters) of water. Typically, a pool is treated at a rate of 3 PPM, and drinking water is treated at anywhere from 0.2 PPM to 3 PPM depending on the level of contamination and the contact time.

Carpe Denim!

1112885282366_selvage1_edited.JPG

Edited by Serge d Nimes on Aug 2, 2005 at 11:37 PM

Speaking of washing recipes, the "recipes" on Atelier La Durance's site are intriguing.

One recommends adding salt and white vinegar to the washing machine. Can anyone confirm that this is a good idea?

There's a previous discussion of chlorine and vinegar on this thread:

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=3646

Basically the salt & vinegar won't do much. Save them for your fish n chips.

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:

They shrank about an .25" on the waist and 1.5" on the length. I washed them inside out on hot with hang drying. I also starch them twice a week or so to keep the hige and honeycomb areas stiff. No rubbing though except for my palms. Oh I should add that I wear them every day for about 10-12 hours a day, and ride them when I'm biking, drinking, whatever. The butt area is worn down pretty heavy because I go to the beach a couple times a week and sit on the rocks.

Edited by wild_whiskey on Jun 10, 2005 at 03:51 PM

--- Original message by wild_whiskey on Jun 10, 2005 03:50 PM

is there a store bought starch spray or a homemade recipe?

how do you do it?