your favorite t-shirt?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ugh

personally i don't like the shirt, one for its aesthetics and two for its message. i feel that art itself is transient. we're post modern people. what the fuck does that mean? in my mind-- nothing. that anything and everything (maybe in that same right 'nothing') is art. if this statement is trying to say it's not art, it's obviously pretentiously making itself into a formalist argument of what art is... and in itself it is making an underhanded, shitty, and weak ass attempt at trying to be something like art: thought provoking, beautiful, aesthetic, and desired.

to me it's none of those.

Thanks for the tip haptronic.

In terms of the message etc, the idea is not necessarily that this piece is art but it is trying to say something about why there is no protection for art which is reproduced on clothing rather than in other media. For a more detailed background to this, check out my post under the "Urban Outfitters" thread. Like it or not, the idea is to try and make people think and hopefully react. Positive or negative reaction, the fact that you bothered posting is good enough for me.

H2B

honestly, these kinds of messages feel like copouts to me. Positive or negative reaction, the fact that you bothered posting is good enough for me. in a way they don't account for what i've disliked and don't push me towards seeing your point in any valid way. in fact i wholeheartedly disagree-- show me where media is more protected in other forms and where it isn't in tshirts and maybe i will agree. there are no copyright laws that have loopholes for reproducing art on tshirts.

if anything, i think fashion is more in danger and 'unprotected' than art. there are so many knock off brands (Urban Outfitters creates knockoff brands and sells them for cheap and capitalizes on the profits) i mean check out any flea market or asian market. there's plenty of knockoffs that use labels from brand names and attach them to replicas. or near perfect replicas with a few stitchings out of place on the brand name. i have a lacoste knockoff that passes except the crocodile logo faces the opposite direction of lacoste.

once again, if you have proof, show me. i'm 99% sure and though i'm pretty confident i'm right, i don't want to be a pompous asshole who is only saying "you're wrong."

A photographer, writer, musician, artist, in fact most of the creative media (except fashion and architecture) have their creations legaly protected against copying. Fashion designers do not sue because they can't.

The reason why your second paragraph is true is simply because there is little real protection to designers. Marc Jacobs admitted to copying work from another catwalk for 2 years running and both he and the person copied see it as just part of the business.

Fashion has a rule which says that so long as 20% of a garment and its design is changed, then that is fair to copy. They call it "inspiration". Changing the 20% can be weight or shade of fabric, v or round neck - basicaly simple things.

You are right in that you cannot copy a logo - that is a different matter and is the way that Prada, Rolex and all those other brands sue fakers. That is also the reason why fakers never get sued for selling Bolex watches or Praba bags or backwards lacoste crocodiles.

Art is just about reactions. I don't expect you to necessarily like my work but what this has shown is that you can learned something as a result of your reaction to it. That has got to be a good thing? Christo did the orange gates in Central park because he wanted to and paid for it himself. The fact that people talked about his art in any way rather than the superbowl or the weather is cool.

H2B

• 7 months later...

195529216.jpg

This is my favorite at the moment, unfortunately for my entire life I havent been able to keep a t-shirt around for more than 20 months or so since I was always skating and Im still growing (Im 20 years old... its fucked up).

if anything, i think fashion is more in danger and 'unprotected' than art. there are so many knock off brands (Urban Outfitters creates knockoff brands and sells them for cheap and capitalizes on the profits) i mean check out any flea market or asian market. there's plenty of knockoffs that use labels from brand names and attach them to replicas. or near perfect replicas with a few stitchings out of place on the brand name. i have a lacoste knockoff that passes except the crocodile logo faces the opposite direction of lacoste.

once again, if you have proof, show me. i'm 99% sure and though i'm pretty confident i'm right, i don't want to be a pompous asshole who is only saying "you're wrong."

first of all the fact that you posted twice shows you had a reaction and answers the question of whether or not its art. and im not sure if you read it wrong or just dont get it bit he is saying exactly what you just said. fashion is copied and largly unprotected from "knockoffs" (logos notwithstanding) whereas fine art is. by putting his work on a shirt instead of a canvas he has rejected the notion of ownership to his images. the distiction between calling an image art or fashion is largly arbitrary. and the fact that he gave his art away furthers this idea of ownership and "art"as commerce.

keep it up hard to beat.

7279.jpg

Just got this from digital gravel. w00t w00t.

in other news this is great.

heres another one of my shirts. dont rip it off ill send my boyd 'round ;)

1002733bgs0.jpg