The WTF are u doing with your life thread

homi29

Here's the thing though: people that make a lot of money? They get paid a lot of money because they provide a great deal of service to society. Otherwise they wouldn't get paid. You talk shit about lawyers and finance people, but guess what? Those are the people making sure your fucking parents could afford a house. Those are the people that protect you from getting robbed, and killed, and just beat the fuck up at random.

Agree with everything else mostly but this is seriously pushing it man. Good pay =/= value to society or people in general, particularly in the fields you've highlighted where it means you make good cash for your employer.

Anyway I'm 3rd year of 4 at University of Edinburgh doing Geography. Doing some internships this summer, take a year to go away and then do more internships and then do a masters (preferably in the States or Europe), hopefully go into not for profits when I'm done.

i go through some sort of mental breakdown every other day regarding what I am going to do with my life. I can not actually sit around and sprout off talks of what I "plan" to do because at the end of the day I am just a History major enrolled in a Community College. So by next semester I should be out of CC and heading into a new school but I wanted to actually wanted to study in another country but I only know pre-k Spanish a even less Japanese. At least my GPA is no longer in the gutter.

Kid...you are about to discover that once your youth is gone, the only thing that matters is living well. i.e. the real world is going to fuck you directly in the asshole if you don't think you need to make/save money.

Given the fact that your treatise is RIDDLED with spelling errors/grammatical errors/logical errors, you don't have a shot at law school or finance anyways, so that's pretty stupid for you to talk about. That's like me talking about how bogus professional sports are. I'm 5'9" and 140 with my hair wet. I can't fucking talk about professional sports.

The thing you don't seem to grasp is that people that are successful, financially, generally have gone through the same existential crisis you are now going through and have come through it much better off than you will. You should envy them - not because they are "indifferent" but because they understand how the real world works. If you want to go teach and fuck teenage girls, well hell you can do that. Nobody is stopping you.

Here's the thing though: people that make a lot of money? They get paid a lot of money because they provide a great deal of service to society. Otherwise they wouldn't get paid. You talk shit about lawyers and finance people, but guess what? Those are the people making sure your fucking parents could afford a house. Those are the people that protect you from getting robbed, and killed, and just beat the fuck up at random. Society is based on the idea that we can own something - even Steinbeck understood that. In East of Eden he writes that "a man is nothing unless he owns some part of land, even a tiny piece of something", to paraphrase a moving passage that I'm too lazy to look up.

Stop being an indulgent little pissant and grow the fuck up. If you don't want to go into some industry, nobody is making you do it. Sure you don't NEED to do anything. You don't NEED to not chug clorox and run around, but it's probably in your best interest. this whole essay just comes off as petulant whining. Get over yourself. Everyone else already has.

Oh, and yeah, travel is great. You know what else is great? Having enough money to actually travel because you work really hard at your job and get paid well because you're fucking brilliant at it.

Good luck with your "original" life choices, I'm sure they will be very different from every movie that's a journey of self-discovery, heartbreak, and forgiveness.

i will admit i was slightly drunk last night, but the ad hominem attacks seem uncalled for, no? i take it you're in one of the "finance" or "law" type of gigs, but where in my previous post do i "talk shit about lawyers and finance people?" the people i was referring to are my friends in school currently preparing for those kind of jobs, i.e., not yet lawyers or bankers. reading comp. fail? and as for the state of the US legal market, it's more or less true; if you have any doubts about this you can PM me.

and as for this remark "those [bankers, lawyers] are the people that protect you from getting robbed, and killed, and just beat the fuck up at random." this is just nonsense, and i won't even take this up. read it again, im sure you will know why.

not sure how a single post (or really any number of posts) casually made on an internet clothes forum can be used as some metric to determine whether or not someone has the intellectual capacity for law/business school. A) you don't know the circumstances in which that post was made (drunk, high, etc.), B) even if one were to assume that it is indeed the case that you can somehow use forum posts to gauge a person's mental aptitude in legal/financial work, then at least the person can improve them, no? in other words, you will forever remain 5' 9" but a person can further improve his intelligence. so not really sure how your analogy is relevant at all here.

and where did i say anything about teaching english abroad to "fuck teenage girls?" here you are talking about how fucking terrible my logical reasoning is, and yet you are the one putting words in my mouth and twisting them. straw man much?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

"The thing you don't seem to grasp is that people that are successful, financially, generally have gone through the same existential crisis you are now going through and have come through it much better off than you will. You should envy them."

lol? and this is why lawyers are consistently ranked the most depressed professionals for decades? look, i dont deny that there are some professionals out there who are entirely satisfied with their job/life, but your generalization here is just ridiculous. i really hope you dont bring up some remark about logical arguments again.

"Society is based on the idea that we can own something - even Steinbeck understood that. In East of Eden he writes that "a man is nothing unless he owns some part of land, even a tiny piece of something", to paraphrase a moving passage that I'm too lazy to look up."

is quoting steinbeck supposed to impress me? he argued for ownership of private property? noooo what?! groundbreaking! im glad you read steinbeck from 7th grade, but if you are impressed by that quote enough to memorize it by heart, you should be the last one commenting on anyone's intelligence/mental capacity.

"Stop being an indulgent little pissant and grow the fuck up. Sure you don't NEED to do anything. You don't NEED to not chug clorox and run around, but it's probably in your best interest. this whole essay just comes off as petulant whining. Get over yourself. Everyone else already has."

you are missing the point. is straw man how you usually argue with people? i will ignore the ad hominem, but i think it's pretty sad that someone who is supposedly old enough to know better is online calling young people pissants and whiners, rather than offering any genuine guidance. with that said, my point was that people often conflate what they need and what they want. i personally think that true needs are only biological needs (in addition to food and shelter). my friends often tell me things like "i need to get this internship/job/test score or my life is over," and it's probably not too difficult, even for you, to see how ridiculous of a statement that is. rather than really trying to figure out what they have a genuine interest in, or what they are talented in, they are obsessed with this narrow "point A -> B if not fuck my life" kind of mentality. it doesn't matter what the particular field is (accounting, finance, law, etc.). my point was that these people don't really take the time to reflect, and are dying to jump into a serious professional commitment. soon enough, most of my friends will be tied down to mortgage payments and family engagements, and the idea of enjoying the good life will become more and more distant.

"Oh, and yeah, travel is great. You know what else is great? Having enough money to actually travel because you work really hard at your job and get paid well because you're fucking brilliant at it."

again, how is your point even remotely relevant to what i said in my post? you seem to have the wrong idea of traveling. i wasn't talking about chilling at four seasons or some posh place in europe. if that's your idea of traveling, then i have nothing more to say to you.

and this last sentence: "having enough money to actually travel because you work really hard at your job and get paid well because you're fucking brilliant at it." PLEASE copy and paste this into a word document and save it. open it up 3 years from now in front of your cubical job and try not to cry.

if you want to talk feel free to PM me; i would rather not derail the thread.

PLEASE copy and paste this into a word document and save it. open it up 3 years from now in front of your cubical job and try not to cry.

take your own advice, kid. stop trying to drop knowledge on areas that are basically a knowledge crater at this point.

In 3 years you will be poor and telling us about Ginsberg and your philosophy major, and we still won't care.

I should point out that quoting wikipedia is the sign of an idiot, honestly.

Ok I don't want to get involved in this argument, but there are two comments I want to throw out there.

and where did i say anything about teaching english abroad to "fuck teenage girls?" here you are talking about how fucking terrible my logical reasoning is, and yet you are the one putting words in my mouth and twisting them. straw man much?

I am not sure how much you know about the teaching ESL abroad, but seriously, c'mon. I haven't run any data of course, but I would bet money that there is a statistically significant correlation between people who teach ESL abroad and students getting fucked.

"Oh, and yeah, travel is great. You know what else is great? Having enough money to actually travel because you work really hard at your job and get paid well because you're fucking brilliant at it."

again, how is your point even remotely relevant to what i said in my post? you seem to have the wrong idea of traveling. i wasn't talking about chilling at four seasons or some posh place in europe. if that's your idea of traveling, then i have nothing more to say to you.

And this.. again, I am not sure how much you have traveled, but personally, I've been all over the world. My experiences range from staying in extremely posh hotels to slumming it in hostels and guest houses in the countryside. Either way you do it, the shit costs money man, and money doesn't just grow on trees.

/end post, back to observing.

Jackson_popcorn.gif

PLEASE copy and paste this into a word document and save it. open it up 3 years from now in front of your cubical job and try not to cry.

take your own advice, kid. stop trying to drop knowledge on areas that are basically a knowledge crater at this point.

In 3 years you will be poor and telling us about Ginsberg and your philosophy major, and we still won't care.

I should point out that quoting wikipedia is the sign of an idiot, honestly.

yes, and being condescending by calling people kids and telling them that they are poor are surely signs of intelligence and good argumentation. not even original enough to come up with your own argument as you quote mine.

funny how you say "we still won't care," as if i was somehow begging for your/people's acceptance haha. i guess thats how you always think things.

look, you're pretty dumb, and i dont really give a fuck what you think. you created a nice schtick for yourself here with your hackneyed relationship advice and 6th grade book report quotes from steinbeck and fitzgerald - i congratulate you for that. i mean it. but still, as much as all of us here enjoy the anonymity of the internet, try not to be a dick and attack people for no reason, especially when it doesn't concern you at all.

i mean, i know you have to compensate for the fact that you are a mouth-breathing beta douchebag in real life with your suave, pseudo-intellectual e-persona, but really dont be a dick about it.

if the best you can do is make fun of people about their wealth, or lack thereof, it just makes you look like an asshat. the fact that you immediately connect "power" and "authority" with wealth really shows what kind of a person you are.

im 20 about to graduate college. you are 29 still in school getting a shit degree from a 2nd-tier university. you tell me who is "better." who knows? maybe 3 years from now i will be fucking broke and you will drive by in your maserati and laugh at me. but hey, at least i will be original.

good luck with your life. but i will be adding you to the ignore list, as i will only be frustrated in seeing your ignorance all over this forum.

P.S., the wikipedia link was for your benefit, as i thought someone who knew of straw man arguments cannot possibly make the same logical fallacy repeatedly in his argument.

lol this guy doesn't get it

'im not like everyone else they are sheep! i go backpacking and stay in hostels! fuck yes! lets pause our COD round to hit dis bong yayaya'

yes, and being condescending by calling people kids and telling them that they are poor are surely signs of intelligence and good argumentation. not even original enough to come up with your own argument as you quote mine.

funny how you say "we still won't care," as if i was somehow begging for your/people's acceptance haha. i guess thats how you always think things.

look, you're pretty dumb, and i dont really give a fuck what you think. you created a nice schtick for yourself here with your hackneyed relationship advice and 6th grade book report quotes from steinbeck and fitzgerald - i congratulate you for that. i mean it. but still, as much as all of us here enjoy the anonymity of the internet, try not to be a dick and attack people for no reason, especially when it doesn't concern you at all.

i mean, i know you have to compensate for the fact that you are a mouth-breathing beta douchebag in real life with your suave, pseudo-intellectual e-persona, but really dont be a dick about it.

if the best you can do is make fun of people about their wealth, or lack thereof, it just makes you look like an asshat. the fact that you immediately connect "power" and "authority" with wealth really shows what kind of a person you are.

im 20 about to graduate college. you are 29 still in school getting a shit degree from a 2nd-tier university. you tell me who is "better." who knows? maybe 3 years from now i will be fucking broke and you will drive by in your maserati and laugh at me. but hey, at least i will be original.

good luck with your life. but i will be adding you to the ignore list, as i will only be frustrated in seeing your ignorance all over this forum.

P.S., the wikipedia link was for your benefit, as i thought someone who knew of straw man arguments cannot possibly make the same logical fallacy repeatedly in his argument.

2gumedh.gif

:confused:

wow, based on that first post by into the rain i thought he was an angsty douchebag college kid but once he sobered up he actually came out with some coherent comments.

anyway,

i'm about three weeks into my new job right now. same position, but selling different product. the pay is better, which is nice, but the line still isn't my cup of tea.

i'm trying to detach myself from that and keep hustling to stack money as high as possible, and hopefully leverage myself into a brand manager position within two years, preferably for a brand i really enjoy a personal level (holler at me Drew).

i'm also focusing heavily on making contacts for investors for the 30th-year-on-this planet goal: my own retail space. hopefully the economy won't collapse and things will be on the upswing again by the time i get my shit together.

^thats basically what happened to me. Out of college i wasnt exactly "dying to jump into a professional commitment", however i was too eager to find a job and start making money like the rest of my friends. After 5 years of doing this type of work at a couple companies, i now have my own house and a gf asking "when are we gonna get married", but all i do now is miss my younger days, think about how this type of work is unfulfilling, stress about the idea of a career change/starting over, and wishing i took more time when i was younger to think about what is important to me and what i really wanted to do for a career.

This is basically me too. I'm considering just taking a break for a few months to get some travel done and come back to try to get back into it. For me, it's not so much the career as it is my particular company that's bothering me... Still lots you can do in a particular career path, so hopefully I can find something that I'll at least enjoy more.

Been unemployed for 8 months now after moving out to SF from the east coast. I've had many ups and some downs, but no regrets for the most part about quitting, packing up, and moving to a new city. Getting close to burning through all my money though, so I need a job badly. Got a second interview at Levi's corporate next week though. Other than that, don't have any other leads.

Hold on, you think you know anything about life? :rolleyes:

Hold on, you think you know anything about life?

see, what you are doing here is assuming the unsaid and putting words in my mouth, rather than reading what is actually being said.

your point about age and its correlation to life-knowledge doesnt really make sense. there are plenty of older adults who have no idea "what life is" (as if anyone can really account for that). you dont have to look far; just read a couple of pages in this thread. i mean, by your logic here, something like midlife crisis wouldnt exist. sadly, it does.

but even if your point was valid, then what is someone "young" supposed to do? be some passive receptacle and simply accept everything he is told about what life is and how he should live it? what i was offering up wasnt some alternative, off-beat life guideline; i was simply suggesting that people should question and give some serious consideration into their life-decisions.

it's not a value judgment that i was suggesting. in other words, there is nothing wrong with going into law, finance, or underwater basketweaving - that is, if you really gave it some serious thought and decided that it was something you really wanted to pursue.

and one of the problems that i notice is that if you even begin to question the "get money, fuck bitches, smoke weed" lifestyle, people laugh at you, call you naive, and just assume that you are some beatnik, hippie-kinda guy who is against the Establishment (as some people have said about me here). thats not what im saying. there is nothing wrong with that lifestyle in itself.

i wasnt preaching or offering any guidelines on life; no one can. and it would be absurd to think that you will somehow naturally progress with age into a point in your life where everything becomes clear and you "see the light." ask a 40 year old bum who lived with his parents for all his life about what life is. i would love to know. given your logic, he would be sage-like, no?

i was simply suggesting that people question more critically some of the decisions that they encounter in their lives, rather than jumping into them without any serious consideration. really, twisting other people's words and assuming what isn't said in their argument are poor ways to make any genuine comment on it.

hey but what do i know - im just a kid.

again, please PM me if you want to talk. thread has been derailed long enough.

it's not being condescending when you are actually a dumb kid. That's called being honest. Maybe your parents never were straight with how fucking stupid you are, but hell, I'll do it for free.

I quoted you to call attention to how stupid your quote is. Honestly.

Why do you care so much about what I think in the first place? I called you out for being a fresh out of the womb pseudo intellectual, and you got mad. Dude, it's true. You are exactly what I think you. So fucking what?

So instead of being reasonable and saying "hey, I'm pretty young and my experience is purely a middle class white kid concept that literally EVERYONE HAS GONE THROUGH THAT'S OVER 16", you decided to insult me instead with some pretty pointed shit that's honestly sort of hilarious.

Let's look at some more awesome quotes from you:

"im 20 about to graduate college. you are 29 still in school getting a shit degree from a 2nd-tier university."

What? I run the accounting department for a large company with a net worth of somewhere around 500M. What are you talking about?

..."but hey, at least i will be original."

being an idiot has been done for a pretty long time, to be honest.

"P.S., the wikipedia link was for your benefit, as i thought someone who knew of straw man arguments cannot possibly make the same logical fallacy repeatedly in his argument."

kid, again, anyone that quotes a wikipedia article in an argument is displaying some patronizing bullshit, which, as a 20 year old who hasn't graduated college, sort of falls flat. It doesn't help that your own arguments are literally full of straw man bullshit as well.

There's more gems in there that are pretty fucking funny to me, because let's face facts here.

You're gonna be one of those moron hippie kids that embrace life. You are going to have terrible jobs as you get older in an already fast paced economy that are going to leave you without socialized medicine, and your happiness will be tied to...I'm gonna go ahead and say a vinyl collection. You will grow old and tired in a world that has no interest in supporting your whiny little self indulgent ass, and that's that.

The best part is that your materialism is exactly like mine, except my materialism has to deal with some cool shit. Yours doesn't. I should also point out that you are on a forum about buying things. Like really expensive jeans.

So basically, take a good look at the amount of hypocrisy in your statements and try to squeeze a cogent thought out of the two meager braincells you are frantically rubbing together to make a spark - because you're a fucking idiot. Not because you're young or idealistic...

...oh wait, no, exactly because you are a young, idealistic, arrogant prick. That's exactly why you are an idiot.

To get back on track, this is what you are doing with your life: being a fucking moron. congratulations, kiddo.

i'm gonna throw a curve ball here

life is relative to the person living it. not everyone has the same goals and not everyone has the same level of satisfaction from accomplishing certain things

ya'll need to stop caring what the dude on the other side of the monitor thinks about you/your life and work on solving some real ass problems like importing four loko to canada for me

I'm kind of embarrassed to tell my family and friends that I am not going back to college for the time being. I feel like everyone holds the expectation of me to get a degree, but I simply have other priorities in life I need to attend to.

I'm 100% decided that I'm going to be a professional musician, and the past 1 1/2 years in school have been driving me crazy since I had no time to make music/play shows etc.. As my interest in school rapidly declined, and I found myself blowing off assignments more and more to make music, I decided this lifestyle was killing me, and I needed drastic change.

So now, going into the new year, I have a steady, ridiculously enjoyable job at a record store, and more importantly -- time to practice/produce. I expect big things for myself in 2010.

RandR, will u please tear my young idealistic dreams apart? I need a reality check bro, should I go into accounting?? So confuse

PS, how 2 get girl?:eek:

Well, you guys know what I do with my days for the most part, but I have learned a whole fuck load about life (maybe not life itself, but on surviving) and am just marinating in that lately. Enjoying my perspective where I get to see young people who think they know everything live in their bubbles. It gets a little lonely when you get near 30 because like-aged people are not always like-minded; I've quit drinking swill in nightclubs and just hoping I'll make it home okay, and taken up drinking in better places with better liquor with my lady friend. Apart from that, I am honing my hobbies and learning to apply practice to talent, and sucking it up and admitting to myself what I don't know, which wasn't happening 5 years ago. That is gonna shoot me forward a lot, in the future.

Anyway, I am good. I am happy with the work I do, because I only do exactly what I want to do, I keep it fair and honest still, I do my part at home and enjoy living with my girlfriend. She's like my hyper-roommate/best friend/girlfriend rolled into one, it's fun. We have a small apartment but it's nice this way, and we live well. Considering the past 5-10 years of my life, I've really turned things around and done well, my parents are pleased to see I've made a healthy change, my brain is back on again. That meant erasing and rejecting a lot of what I had to endure through school, which was a waste of time, and get back in touch with myself, but it's been really good. Every day is honestly better than the day before.

Barely related to me, but a story I wanted to share; my girlfriend met this other Japanese girl at language school a couple years ago. This girl is in her early 30's, met a Korean guy and moved here, started learning the language and shacked up with him; they got married on paper and no sooner had they done that than she was 3 months pregnant. In April of this year, she had the baby, and she's been busy with that. The bad side of the story: the guy quit his job a year and a half ago, when he knew his wife was pregnant, and he still hasn't found work again. It's not a case of not being able to get a job, he's just not trying, he doesn't go to interviews, etc. I think he's at home playing Playstation and shit. He has a trade school 2 year degree and only the kind of resume for making about $2000/month in this country, but compared to the $0+mooching that he's done for a year now, he really ought to work... but he doesn't. It's really inexplicable.

Back in the beginning of Toj, I actually offered to let him help me with my work and I would've given him a good amount of money (and looking back on it, far more money than he can expect to earn anywhere else) and he came along one day, said he didn't like it, and didn't come back. The guy just doesn't seem to want to work.

Anyway, it's been over a year now, savings have dried up, I'm sure they've asked their parents for money, the girl is dirt poor now and is beginning to literally hate my girlfriend and another friend because the rest of us are still here and doing fine; I bought the girl two packs of diapers last night because my girlfriend said she was gonna visit her house for the first time and see the baby, and the friend was asking for small things for the baby because they can't afford them anymore. After I bought the diapers I realized that a whole month's supply of them was only $80... I don't know if anyone on sufu can imagine being hard up for $80 worth of diapers for your baby per month when you're in your 30's and married, but yeah, this situation has gotten out of control because of the guy, and that's poverty to the level where you don't even get to choose what you eat, in a country where meals are available for $3 or something.

She plans on basically getting up and leaving with the kid next month now, she's been planning it for awhile. I think she has like a few hundred bucks left to stretch plus enough for a mother and child plane ticket back home. Insane budgeting. It's no way to live.

Anyway, a look into the lives of others, I guess. That guy blows my mind, he's like 35 or more and is acting like a weird 14 year old.

i'm not sure exactly what i want to do with my life

i want to be a shopkeeper when i'm older, but in the interim idunno. i want to keep working on spanish, but other than that i'm not sure. i think i'm going to go to a large state school, but out of state. i figure that will give me a chance to figure some stuff out, and have the opportunity of many departments and will not be super expensive. also with all AP shit i can probably graduate early or even enter as a sophomore, so that will also save money. i'm not sure, i just need to go somewhere new.

I hate when people bring this fucking argument up

no one knows anything about life aside from their own experiences, so telling someone their view is just plain wrong is dumb as fuck.

if you're gonna argue about perspective at least do it intellectually, not just "you're dumb as fuck stop whining"

hmm you make a really good point, but there are still some 'hard and fast' 'unwritten rules' to modern life.... 'the world' isnt entirely subjective