The Great Global Warming Swindle

Aeros

So last night I watched this documentary called The Great Global Warming Swindle. It is now all over Google video and YouTube, but it originally aired on BBC4 in the UK. After seeing Al Gore's The Inconviniant Truth last year I became a large supporter of cutting CO2 emissions and pushing companies and governments to purchase CO2 credits amongst other things. Well after watching this film I have completely changed my mind. I feel as though I truely have been swindled by Al Gore, the media, the UN (the IPCC more specifically), Toyota motors, etc.

Not only does this film discuss the falsities of human produced global warming, but it goes into detail about how politicized the science of global warming has really become. Watching this was really an eye opener and I recommend that each and every one of you watch it as well.

Check it out here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4499562022478442170&hl=en

EDIT: Because of the rules on this board please keep the political arguments to a minimum. Thanks.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of things that require you to be a qualified individual to discuss. Until I can personally do my own study and get some sort of empircal evidence I cant really give a valid opiinion.

..and thats my opinion.

Guest StuckOnStupid

wow. you've turned my reality upside down with this one. opposite land it is. black is white, hot snow falls up, and hamburgers eat people. the great deceiver al gore, acting in collusion with the dastardly (jew)nited nations and...toyota, have all conspired to fuck us over by convincing us that belching smoke made of burning dinosaur bones every minute of every day for the past 60+ years is BAD for the environment. it was all a clever ruse. their ultimate goal is to get everyone into a prius, effectively emasculating the entire planet.

i bet "loose change" really opened your eyes too...

i bet "loose change" really opened your eyes too...

No. This isn't a conspiracy film. Members of the IPCC as well as top scientists and college professors are included in it. Honestly after seeing this I don't know what to think about global warming, but I know that I certainly don't know who to believe anymore. Please at least watch some of the film before flaming it you might actually learn something about global warming that you didn't know about before.

Irregardless of what the film says, is it such a bad idea to cut back on cutting back on petroleum usage, polluting the environment and doing some conservation?

Similarly, isn't it a better idea to spend the money/time/energy/outrage that's currently devoted to climate change on something that could actually make a difference, like potable water in Africa? There are probably 20 major problems in the world that are a lot more important to humanity/practical to solve than global warming.

So what do you propose we do if Global warming is a scam?

And i would like to see the list of scientists and experts on this film and their credentials.

Edit: Global warming will give those africans tons of water...seaside water....problems solved. Your perspective seems a bit tweaked when you see more important problems than "global" warming. Give water to a particular country, yes that's looking at the big picture.

So what do you propose we do if Global warming is a scam?

And i would like to see the list of scientists and experts on this film and their credentials.

Watch the film. It really is interesting, and it has their credentials. They're certainly more qualified to make these points than I am.

Edit: Global warming will give those africans tons of water...seaside water....problems solved. Your perspective seems a bit tweaked when you see more important than "global" warming. Give water to a particular country, yes that's looking at the big picture.

Africa's a continent.

Yes burning oil makes all of life's problems go away.

My apologies. I don't know what came over me. Whenever I hear about global warming is not true, it just makes me want to fill my SUV with more gasoline.

. o O (I better stop...)

Summary of Film (I have no opinion on Global Warming): They say that Man Made C02 isn't the main reason of Global Warming but rather Solar Rays that flucuate through time, they use some data and graphs similar to the Inconvienent Truth. They also say that the Ocean and Trees produce billions of more C02 than industrialization. They then say that the reason why politicians support the ban of C02, is because it is a bandwagon to appease to the public and that to get proper funding on certain projects is to say that the project is based on global warming. Then they say that there might be an even more hidden agenda that they don't want developing countries to reach industrialization because they have more natural resources which could make them a dominant factor in the world. So, that pro-ban-of-man-made-co2-politicians are anti-globalizationists and anti-capitalists.

what is funny to me is that everyone was up in arms about a subject that's been talked about for the past 20 some years. Don't people remember the cut backs on CFC's in the 80's? Using your fridge and air conditioner would destroy the ozone? And it takes Al Gore to make a movie for people to think it's an entirely new topic? I don't know if it's as immenent as they say it is, but don't think it's a subject to completely ignore either. It cracks me up how they took the title of the sex pistols movie though.

So last night I watched this documentary called The Great Global Warming Swindle. It is now all over Google video and YouTube, but it originally aired on BBC4 in the UK. After seeing Al Gore's The Inconviniant Truth last year I became a large supporter of cutting CO2 emissions and pushing companies and governments to purchase CO2 credits amongst other things. Well after watching this film I have completely changed my mind. I feel as though I truely have been swindled by Al Gore, the media, the UN (the IPCC more specifically), Toyota motors, etc.

Not only does this film discuss the falsities of human produced global warming, but it goes into detail about how politicized the science of global warming has really become. Watching this was really an eye opener and I recommend that each and every one of you watch it as well.

Check it out here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4499562022478442170&hl=en

EDIT: Because of the rules on this board please keep the political arguments to a minimum. Thanks.

It is quite dishearting to see how easy it is to make people think global warming is some sort of false truth. You are an idiot...and laughable. There are always going to be people putting out banterous shit like this. Uninformed, uneducated dare I say, people like yourself are the very reason why they do it. How about instead of developing your scientific knowledge through blockbuster movies and youtube videos you pick up a book. Global Warming by John Houghton (Cambridge Press) would be a good start.

Stop feeding the monkey...

It is quite dishearting to see how easy it is to make people think global warming is some sort of false truth. You are an idiot...and laughable. There are always going to be people putting out banterous shit like this.

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about. I hate to say it but you, sir, are a laughable idiot. Instead of dismissing the film as something that makes "people think global warming is some sort of false truth," you could at least watch the first 30 seconds of the film where it clarifies that the film reconsiders the causes of global warming rather than denying the phenomenon all together. It's a shame that there are always going to be ignoramuses like you who walk around with their heads in their asses, dismissing anything other than what they themselves believe, even without even hearing or in this case seeing it first, to be heretical.

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about. I hate to say it but you, sir, are a laughable idiot. Instead of dismissing the film as something that makes "people think global warming is some sort of false truth," you could at least watch the first 30 seconds of the film where it clarifies that the film reconsiders the causes of global warming rather than denying the phenomenon all together. It's a shame that there are always going to be ignoramuses like you who walk around with their heads in their asses, dismissing anything other than what they themselves believe, even without even hearing or in this case seeing it first, to be heretical.

Arguing on the internet is as stupid as...but just to clarify. I believe what in what I was taught in a classroom not what I saw on TV. All I should have said was; global warming is a natural occurance yes, but we are speeding it up and fast enough to see mal-effects within our own lifetime. My statement is a scientific fact not an option. I don't know who think tried to "swindle" you, but how about you go get a b.s. in envrionmental science and mabye you'll come to find out. This one should hit close to home Seattle, and its just the first one I found.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/124642_warming02.html

Global warming is like a second bible, arguing with anyone who believes in it is pointless because they're going to ignore any evidence and facts that are presented to them...

This is not to say I don't partly believe in Global Warming, I just think that those who think that those promoting it are only caring for earth are dumb. There's a political and financial motivation behind it, that is a fact.

And anyone who wants to contribute to this thread should watch the movie mentioned in the first post.

(Somehow I expect this thread to get locked, seeing as this is quite obviously a political issue.)

so a member of the IPCC was in the film, big deal. Is he a rogue agent because their last published report:

The Working Group I (dealing with the Physical Science Basis of climate change) Summary for Policymakers (SPM) was published on February 2, 2007[7]. Its key conclusions were that[8]:

• Warming of the climate system is unequivocal
  • Most of (>50% of) the observed increase in globally averaged temperatures since the mid-20th century is very likely (confidence level >90%) due to the observed increase in anthropogenic (human) greenhouse gas concentrations
  • Hotter temperatures and rises in sea level "would continue for centuries" no matter how much humans control their pollution.[9], although the likely amount of temperature and sea level rise varies greatly depending on the fossil intensity of human activity during the next century (pages 13 and 18)[10]
  • The probability that this is caused by natural climatic processes alone is less than 5%
  • World temperatures could rise by between 1.1 and 6.4°C (1.98 and 11.52°F) during the 21st century (table 3) and that:
    • Sea levels will probably rise by 18 to 59 cm (7.08 to 23.22 in) [table 3]
    • There is a confidence level >90% that there will be more frequent warm spells, heat waves and heavy rainfall
    • There is a confidence level >66% that there will be an increase in droughts, tropical cyclones and extreme high tides.

[*]Both past and future anthropogenic carbon dioxide emissions will continue to contribute to warming and sea level rise for more than a millennium.

[*]Global atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide have increased markedly as a result of human activities since 1750 and now far exceed pre-industrial values over the last 650,000 years.

i just watched the whole movie tonight after reading this thread. It's a decent flick. Just the other end of the spectrum of an Inconvient truth. I certainly didn't need a movie to solidify my opinions, but the first half talking about how everyone was caught up in this whole global warming frenzy was completely true.....agree with the OP about this issue though, it's something that you can't really argue effectively. You don't hear many people say that they're for global warming and the ruining of the enviornment...but it's either fanatical or apathetic