is this considered selvedge?

edmond

i took this picture from a local clothing company here in manila philippines looks like a ripoff selvedge to me hahaha just for laughs sorry for the crappy pic took this from my mobile phone

Photo_041507_001.jpg

this is just sad. this just shows how ignorant the average consumer is. its dumb, because a person who knows nothing about selvege wont care, and ANYONE who knows selvage will either laugh until convulsions, or vomit. this shit is epicac for denimheads. ive actually seen an ad in XXL magazine for "Premium Ring-Spun" denim, with a fake selvege that had a "red-line", but the twill/serge line was the opposite rise direction from the actuall sample of cloth that it was obviously sewn onto after milling. dont forget....bush is still president. but these are even worse, because of the wack-ass orange stitching that tells the tale. i call it"SNITCH-STITCHING", cause it tells on itself. ignorance must be bliss, cause this makes my tummy hurt.

this is just sad. this just shows how ignorant the average consumer is. its dumb, because a person who knows nothing about selvege wont care, and ANYONE who knows selvage will either laugh until convulsions, or vomit. this shit is epicac for denimheads. ive actually seen an ad in XXL magazine for "Premium Ring-Spun" denim, with a fake selvege that had a "red-line", but the twill/serge line was the opposite rise direction from the actuall sample of cloth that it was obviously sewn onto after milling. dont forget....bush is still president. but these are even worse, because of the wack-ass orange stitching that tells the tale. i call it"SNITCH-STITCHING", cause it tells on itself. ignorance must be bliss, cause this makes my tummy hurt.

lol bit of an overreaction to fake selvage...

you know whats sad? that you people are having this reaction to well finished seams. so its not selvage... its not trying to be. its trying to be cleaner than overlock stitching. did it work? yes, it did. personally, i feel this is a sign of attention to detail, not trying to fool the consumer.

just fyi... a lot of slevages have a different weave structure than the rest of the cloth. A lot are either plain weave or the opposite twill of the main fabric.

mmm..yeah. at the same time i'm also kind of used to seeing the redlines there, so much so that even though i know it's got nothing to do with quality, i shrink away from buying non-selvedged goods. it's completely illogical.

I dont think its completely illogical, the selvage always looks prettier and (I know we've been over this a million times already on this forum) I do think you can almost be certain that when using narrow looms manufacturers tend to use high quality fabrics.

btw. I think everybody, whether they care or not, would agree that the little line that finishes the fabric makes the fabric look prettier...

I've seen G-star doing the same thing... Fake selvage is just stupid.

I think 1921 Jeans do to. I noticed it on this one girls jeans but we were a little preoccupied for me to actually look closer at it.

i took this picture from a local clothing company here in manila philippines looks like a ripoff selvedge to me hahaha just for laughs sorry for the crappy pic took this from my mobile phone

It's just a finishing technique called the Hong Kong Seam or H.K. Finish, often used in traditional tailored pcs. Rather than expose

the coverstitch the tailor uses bias tape or any cotton material to bind the seam edges.

• 2 weeks later...
you know whats sad? that you people are having this reaction to well finished seams. so its not selvage... its not trying to be. its trying to be cleaner than overlock stitching. did it work? yes, it did. personally, i feel this is a sign of attention to detail, not trying to fool the consumer.

yeah, but with all of this BS "red-line" marketing bullshit going on, we have to be hard on anyone even imitating in the slightest...plus, im OCD about nostalgia.sorry, since youre one of the few SFers i actually respect/take knowlege from. i just get tired of the bullshit...-salaami-:o