so.... sweatshops, huh?

lilodxd

i'm curious.

1) nike is notorious for their sweatshops. do other sneaker brands do the same as well? vans, converse, adidas..

2) for clothing, AA is of course, made in downtown la. any other clothing brands that are anti-sweatshop? i'm sure there are more.

While I won't fully take Nike's side on the sweatshop matter - thanks to pressure from consumers and advocate groups, they have done some (not enough) to clean things up. Their spending on advertisement is still ridiculously high (and constitute a big part of the pricing of the shoes and goods they sell)and if they can shave that by 10% and spend it towards improving wages and factory conditions, it will go pretty darn far.

In their directly managed factories (not sub-sub-sub contracting situations), i think the wages they pay out to workers in underdeveloped countries are relatively higher compared to other workers in those countries.

There are many companies that probably employ way worse labor practices - think of the brands that sell at large chains like K-Mart, Walmart, Target etc.,

That is what I tell myself as I buy another pair of Nikes - probably made by some poor kid in third world country.

We employ little white kids because we have a deal with McDonalds that keeps them well-supplied with Cheeseburgers for energy and McFlurries for speed. Their little fingers are extremely suitable for polishing each tooth (16 times!) on the Riris you so covet. The kids are also surprisingly good bait for tigers, whose pelts are needed to make the fleece for our signature sweats. Each zipup can use up to 4 pelts each!

If you're spry, and between the ages of 4 and 11, we're taking applications!

Wait. It's the 4th already?! Damn. Another deadline missed.

2) for clothing, AA is of course, made in downtown la. any other clothing brands that are anti-sweatshop? i'm sure there are more.

AA is not so "anti-sweatshop"; they removed the "made in sweatshop free LA" or something to just "Made in Downtown LA." Leeme try finding that one long article on AA...

Fuck Nike in the ass. They really are a force for evil in the world.

word. i stopped wearing nikes, all i wear nowadays are the same 2 pairs of slip-ons. but then again, vans is probably guilty of sweatshop labor too. maybe i'll just stop wearing shoes.

and clothes.

word. i stopped wearing nikes, all i wear nowadays are the same 2 pairs of slip-ons. but then again, vans is probably guilty of sweatshop labor too. maybe i'll just stop wearing shoes.

and clothes.

then there's no reason for you to stay...

*points to exit sign*

haha... life goes on man.

at the end of the day, clothes are still going to be made cheaply through sweatshops.

unless we go all out violent...

viva la revolution ?

i am doing my part by driving a prius, drinking fair trade lattes, rebalancing my carbon credits, shopping at american apparel and being a socially responsible, sustainable, environmentally friendly consumer.

Hahahahahaha