pete or carl?

whose music do you perfer  

55 members have voted

1. 1. whose music do you perfer

• pete doherty
    • carl barat
    • neither... they are both fag junkies

i voted fag junkies, because i hate that whole scene of Hedi Slimane worshipping pencil-thick asshole London pussy-rock.

My favorite is the black guy from the Libertines, because he's black and I have to

stick up for my colored bredren.

to hard to call, peter is the more talented songwriter, but loses some credit due to the fucking abuse of drugs and the accompanying weird moods, when he's the old peter pre 2004, he's fantastic.

carl i think is amazing to, great guitarplayer, and a nice guy as well, less of a songwriter but still decent, and i respect him very much for never hating on peter in public, ever, always sticking with him.

I bumped into Pete Doherty in my neighborhood last year when he was trying to score drugs. To be honest, the whole thing looked set-up as he was being followed by a lot of people (probably his crew) who were keeping an eye on him. I mean, why the hell would he actually roam the streets trying to score? Doesn't he have people who can do that for him?

He gets my vote anyway, merely for visiting my hood. :)

Guest StuckOnStupid
why the hell would he actually roam the streets trying to score? Doesn't he have people who can do that for him?

because it can be a signifigant part of the fun.

I really don't care. The real test is will they still be talked about in 20 years and are they influencing or just influenced.

i truly believe that they will, like them or not, the libertines put the whole london indie scene out there, and the two albums they made are really good, as well as the big load of free material and sessions on the internet. and what's more, especially pete has had a significant influence on the dressing style of the last 5 years. he's nowadays a well known rock star, being on the cover of vogue last month. i'm not saying this is a good thing, but it does mean he has made some impact there to.

if you read bound together: the story of the libertines, i think you'll understand why they are also special personality wise.

but anyway this music thing is subjective as fuck, i just love their songs and through them i became interested in music literature and whatnot, 2 things that i've been very interested in ever since, soo they kinda saved my life to....:D

i truly believe that they will, like them or not, the libertines put the whole london indie scene out there, and the two albums they made are really good, as well as the big load of free material and sessions on the internet. and what's more, especially pete has had a significant influence on the dressing style of the last 5 years. he's nowadays a well known rock star, being on the cover of vogue last month. i'm not saying this is a good thing, but it does mean he has made some impact there to.

i can almost guarantee that in 20 years, no one will care about the libertines, the dirty pretty things, babyshambles, or any future bands pete doherty or carl barat will front, like the Cockscomb Scummers or the Shiv My Timbers.

they're not at all responsible for putting the london indie scene on the map- they put their own little scene of eminently british skifflepunk 2000 skinny crackheads on the map. The two albums, taken together, have about an EP and a half's worth of truly good songs, and everything else floating around just the same. People who imitate Pete Doherty's style are imitating at least five year's worth of London street fashion, and Hedi Slimane can probably attest to that- which makes his obsession with Pete all the more hilarious.

Pete's famous for being a walking Holocaust and fucking a supermodel.

In 20 years, people will remember that over the music, I am sure.

-At the very least, they got you into music literature. Reading is fun AND fundamental!

I bumped into Pete Doherty in my neighborhood last year when he was trying to score drugs. To be honest, the whole thing looked set-up as he was being followed by a lot of people (probably his crew) who were keeping an eye on him. I mean, why the hell would he actually roam the streets trying to score? Doesn't he have people who can do that for him?

He gets my vote anyway, merely for visiting my hood. :)

because it can be a signifigant part of the fun.

Thread Highjack:

years ago in college, a friend of mine was in a restaraunt in Paducah, KY (where?) and Robert Downey Jr. walked in to eat. He was filming a movie there. They talked to him and apparently went on to reveal how he could go into any town and score drugs in an average time of 45 minutes. He also said that it actually helped that he was famous. The story ends with him giving them an Incredible Hulk hat he was wearing. I have no idea if this was true.

However, he shows that persistant addicts can get back into society and lead a somewhat regular life and return to doing what they were really good at. However, ask any Jazz historian about the greats--Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, etc. and they will tell you how drugs were part of who they were. The addiction came through into the music and there would have been no jazz from them without heroin. Another case in point: the Beat Authors. Jack Kerouac wrote his most famous (although arguably not his best) novel on a days-straight benzadrine binge. While William Burroughs probably did more drugs than any other person in history and lived to be over 80 years old.

Just some thoughts to ponder. Back to the discussion.

The two albums, taken together, have about an EP and a half's worth of truly good songs, and everything else floating around just the same.

This is spot on, I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with this band (particuarly on sufu), they're not that fucking good.

Guest itsmeJT
....you negative repped me for "being an inferior american".

and what you pathetic attention begging cunt?

no i agree that people will not be talking about dirty pretty things if they don't step their game up. babyshambles have a better chance, but in a the only ones way, i mean whatever your opinion the band, ' Fuck Forever' is classic that's for sure. But like the only ones, right now that's babyshambles only truely classic song.

I do think that Peter still has what it takes, the Blinding Ep was a lot more focused then the album and very good in my opinion, particularly sedative and i wish.

^ for me, i'm '' obsessed'' with the Libertines because I liked their music and because in my opinion they did something very relevant at the time and the scene they created was at the beginning till about 2003 very nice and inspiring. As i said before they were the first band I could really relate to and it's basically my starting point in getting to know good music from the past and classical literature which i'd otherwise probably never really have gotten into.

The thing is with all the stupid things Pete did and all the focus on the wrong things nowadays, people never get to know the real libertines. I'm telling you, read Bound Together, it's if nothing else an entertaining read and it focuses on the early years, '98 till '03 (and some chapters about kate and all the drama but more like a sidenote). Pete and Carl really did have that chemistry that you very rarely see in a band, and I know it's not all very original in terms of music, classic British pop like kinks mixed with a punk aesthetic. But they still have some great songs and no-one was doing it at that time.

honestly? i mean, honestly???? people are really going for PETE?

dirty pretty things aren't great, and they aren't awful. but the babyshambles album was a fucking train wreck. fuck forever truly doesn't strike me as a classic, even if it was the standout track. pete's a drug addled tit, and it shows. down in albion sounded like a halfway finished basement recording (not in a charming way, in a lazy junkie way).

i'm going for carl. he at least put together a passable album after the libertines (who prove to me that peteandcarl is far better that either pete or carl).

I voted for carl, I thought he was the drive behind the libertines, especially when you listen to DPT's, also Ive heard it said so many times that most of babyshambles good songs were wrote with Carl Barat anyways and that pete basically stole em - however barat stayed stumpt on the matter last interview I read. Guys a good songwriter, neither of em are too important but they are both cool.

and what you pathetic attention begging cunt?

i thought people were kidding in supertrash when they said you'd neg repped them for

NOT LIKING THE SAME MUSIC AS YOU DO.

you want to talk about pathetic? that's subhuman.

not to mention that your comment about inferiority better refer to you thinking americans are inferior, and not me being inferior in america because of my comments

and blackness, or else you'll be eating the festering soft cheeses of pete doherty's unwashed uncut cock through a straw...

... then again, you would fucking enjoy that, wouldn't you?