Starting on on-line business...

home

Yeah, I know, I'm almost a decade late, but I figure I've got a bit of a niche market that might just work.

I'm young, 19, and want to get an online store up-and-running, selling particular products.

I have a decent amount (well, i think it is) of capital saved that I'm willing to outlay on this project.

Essentially I will be looking to research, study the market and look into distributers over the next year, and maybe try and launch something early next year.

My question is, whilst I am very computer-literate (grew up with computer from age 9), I have little to no experience in creating/managing a website, let alone one that sells products. I think I woud like to design/maintan the website myself, as I have a little bit of a graphic design/computer-aided-design background. How hard is it going to be?

Essentially I'm looking for some sort of direction in terms of where I start this thing. The obvious choice would be to read books, but I always get the feeling that the moment I pick up a text regarding anything internet related, it is already well and truly obsolete.

However, I have popped onto amazon and spotted a few books, namely 'Starting an Online Business For Dummies' (ahah, i know, typical).

If anyone can put their two cents in, or give me some direction or advice on how to approach this venture, or any texts or outlets that may assist in my development, I would be very much appreciative.

Thanks again!

if you need some e-commerce consulting, shoot me a PM... I do all things oscommerce / zencart / cre reload + photography... ;)

Guest Goose25

heya, can i make asuggestion?

don't focus on technology - forget the internet uses a million technologies at any one time - it always will. Find a simple solution to start with (zencart, paypal etc) but spend your time (and some of your budget) researching who your customers are, where they are from (state, city, country), what sort of product they will be interested in in the different seasons and what you will do for a backup plan if something doesn't sell so well.

Planning, planning, planning... make your mistakes on paper first. Good luck.

I don't wanna sound like a dick but I hope you have not decided to do this thing as a full-time job b/c you hate school or whatever.

Unless you have something that no one's ever thought of and you are 99% sure that you will be ballin, you shouldn't do it.

Maybe start it as a side business while you finish, at least, your undergrad degree.

You'll have a lot of free time in college unless you go pre-med.

I'm graduating from college in May but all I can say is that bachelor's degree is worthless, which leads me to conclude anything lower is just utter hopelessness.