Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

• 2 weeks later...

So... I don't know much about fragrances (I'm the kind of guy who browses for fragrances at stupid department stores like The Bay lol). I got my first fragrance as a gift. Versace Pour Homme and I got a lot of compliments when I used it. Sadly, the scent doesn't last very long. After that, I bought Allure Homme Sport by Chanel cause I heard that it smells very similar to Versace Pour Homme. Strangely enough, it smells COMPLETELY different on me. I'm looking for a sporty or fruity (girly?) cologne that'll last long. I was wondering if anyone can recommend something for me. I'm 21 so I don't think those woodsy-musky things will suit me.

SUFU, y u no halp me :'(?

Edited by IWishIWasADino

Any reccomendations for a 21 year old college student who wants to try a new fragrance? I use burberry, burberry brit, and yves saint lauren pour homme at the moment. I want a special fragrance that stands out...

You should check out Comme des Garçons 2 (not 2Man). I keep getting it since it was released in '99 and always get complemented on it. Plus you won't smell like any other bro, girls notice that.

Anyone out there tried Nasomatto's Duro or Black Afgano

I love what I have tried of Black Afgano but can get Duro a little cheaper, of the two frags which has the heavier scent or, an I know these things are subjective, but any pref between the two ?

did anyone try the new cdg amazingreen yet ? any feedbacks ?

just got it... yeesh, i don't like it too much. at first it's super sweet, watermelon jelly rancher type stuff. it calms down a bit, but i don't really get the earthy gunpowder it's supposed to have. a little amber maybe, a little woody. can't really recommend.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 17 and I've never really paid attention to fragrances. What would you recommend for a first timer? I can smell the differences in scents but I cannot tell the different notes apart (woodsy,earthy,fruit etc.)

there are so many great scents out there right now it's impossible to recommend something without an idea of budget and preferences. the industry has exploded, and any scent imaginable is available to you for the right price. cb i hate perfume, among others, offers customers a service to make their own scents.

2man is dope but lasts like 2mins on me before disappearing entirely.

i got a sample of the OG 2 and i prefer it to 2man. lasts longer, more loyal to its vision. while buxton is generally great, the changeup on 2man is a security blanket for men in the mass market.

there are so many great scents out there right now it's impossible to recommend something without an idea of budget and preferences. the industry has exploded, and any scent imaginable is available to you for the right price. cb i hate perfume, among others, offers customers a service to make their own scents.

i got a sample of the OG 2 and i prefer it to 2man. lasts longer, more loyal to its vision. while buxton is generally great, the changeup on 2man is a security blanket for men in the mass market.

my budget probably tops out at around 100-120. I kind of don't want to get Diesel like every dude I know. CDG Green looked neat but again, total rookie so if anyone has some introductory/rookie scents, shoot.

Quick question. Currently wearing Black Afgano and CDG Man 2.

CDG Man 2 just doesnt have the longevity for me, get maybe 2 hours tops. So its virtually useless.

However I love Black Afgano but don't feel its an 'everyday/day time/coming into summer here' kind of scent, and was wondering if there was something similar but could be worn daily, in daylight, in the summertime, during hot days?

my budget probably tops out at around 100-120. I kind of don't want to get Diesel like every dude I know. CDG Green looked neat but again, total rookie so if anyone has some introductory/rookie scents, shoot.

just a word of warning i'm not really that well versed in popular frags out there, i haven't so much as sniffed anything from creed, for example! definitely get a 2nd opinion. i've just been trawling the niche, artisan and avant garde because i'm weird. amazingreen is ok, its very fresh and lively, but i think it has a narrow range for wearability.

for a "beginner" scent you should try terre d'hermes. the basenotes community is generally abuzz about creed's aventus, green irish tweed, and millesime imperial. worth a try. you should browse this doc, compiled by the basenotes community. lots of popular "entry level" scents there:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmGbCxXYwWufdFFGYXlFaE9HQUhKZy11SG8yNk5fLWc#gid=0

Quick question. Currently wearing Black Afgano and CDG Man 2.

CDG Man 2 just doesnt have the longevity for me, get maybe 2 hours tops. So its virtually useless.

However I love Black Afgano but don't feel its an 'everyday/day time/coming into summer here' kind of scent, and was wondering if there was something similar but could be worn daily, in daylight, in the summertime, during hot days?

i've sampled black afgano and had a similar problem. its too heavy. try:

serge lutens - serge noir

by kilian - straight to heaven

cdg - avignon

olivier durbano - black tourmaline

these don't have the coconut sweetness of black afgano, but they are spicy, incense, smoky, etc. they're also a bit more on the "dry" side if you know what i mean. black afgano has a resinous, "wet" quality. i'd also encourage you to try cdg x monocle's "hinoki". no spice, but much more woody and fresh. wonderwood is another that comes to mind, of course. if it came down to my own personal choice, i'd go for black tourmaline. it's dark, but wears easy. very breathable and airy. lasts awhile too.

Thanks a lot for your input, have ordered Black Tourmaline and Straight to heaven as samples, read up on Serge Noir and everyone seems to say its a night time scent? Was able to smell the CDG scents today and by far prefer the Hinoki.

Thanks again for your help!

Edited by luket

• 2 weeks later...