Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

gimmegimme, don't take sufu vacations when i need your insight :P

I am no gimmegimme, but I have been to the Diptyque store in San Francisco so I can tell you what I think about the few I've tried;

Philosykos is a woody, green fig fragrance by Olivia Giacobetti. It is a good "clean" scent IMO.

L'Autre is a filthy ;) cumin fragrance that is supposed to evoke a Damascus spice market, and I think it does. Some people think it smells like BO. Not for the faint of heart.

Opone is a rose fragrance with saffron and it also has a bit of the cumin undertones to my nose.

Tam Dao is a straight up sandalwood, if you like sandalwood this is worth a try.

All the Diptyque scents are pretty linear; what you smell when you put them on is pretty much what they smell like until they wear/are washed off.

Of the ones I tried/mentioned, I like Philosykos the best. There are many I haven't tried and gimmegimme will know much more about them than I do, of course.

thanks a lot tang, this the kind of detailed feedback i was expecting to get :).

yeah, this store stocks all the CDG line, and they said they would have this new diptyque brand coming in for christmas, with about 14(?) different eau de parfums. what made me look forward to it, was that the employee told me that they would have a scent coming in which resembled the smell that the store has(fig scent), which has been the same for years and i love it. Once i even asked the owner what it was that they used, and he said it was some scent he had custom made for the store.

from your description, it's Philosykos for sure, definetly dropping by tomorrow or next week to see what it's like.

being that i really don't have much experience with fragrances, i won't be able to have a point of comparison with other brands mentioned here, but i have noticed that you have been stepping up your fragrance game in past few months ordering quite a few samples etc, so i will ask you this:

would you say it compares to the other high-end fragrance houses and did you end up getting any of those for you?

I am no gimmegimme, but I have been to the Diptyque store in San Francisco so I can tell you what I think about the few I've tried;

Philosykos is a woody, green fig fragrance by Olivia Giacobetti. It is a good "clean" scent IMO.

L'Autre is a filthy ;) cumin fragrance that is supposed to evoke a Damascus spice market, and I think it does. Some people think it smells like BO. Not for the faint of heart.

Opone is a rose fragrance with saffron and it also has a bit of the cumin undertones to my nose.

Tam Dao is a straight up sandalwood, if you like sandalwood this is worth a try.

All the Diptyque scents are pretty linear; what you smell when you put them on is pretty much what they smell like until they wear/are washed off.

Of the ones I tried/mentioned, I like Philosykos the best. There are many I haven't tried and gimmegimme will know much more about them than I do, of course.

would you say it compares to the other high-end fragrance houses and did you end up getting any of those for you?

I think Diptyque's fragrances are well made and from what I have gathered, are respected in the industry. I would really like to hear gimmegimme's answer to this, as well.

I bought L'Autre because at the time it seemed the most original and interesting; however, it is really out there and I don't wear it much. I have Philosykos on my wish list and will probably get it eventually.

so i went to check the dyptique stuff today.

they had the whole line-up there, so i randomly picked up around 7 to smell and there were definetly 3 of them that were pretty damn good.

Philosykos is definetly awesome, amazing scent, i tried it on my skin, and now, about 4 hours later, there really isn't much fragrance left...bummer. i would definetly pick this one up if it lasted longer on me. i want a fragrance that lasted like dolce and gabbana, i would go out ALL night and i would wake up the next day at the beginning of the afternoon with the scent still on me.

i was surprised that they were eau de toilette, i thought they would be eau de parfum, definetly some stuff worth buying, but i need to come back a few times to try a fe of them on my skin to see which one lasts longer on me of the ones that i like

so i went to check the dyptique stuff today.

they had the whole line-up there, so i randomly picked up around 7 to smell and there were definetly 3 of them that were pretty damn good.

Philosykos is definetly awesome, amazing scent, i tried it on my skin, and now, about 4 hours later, there really isn't much fragrance left...bummer. i would definetly pick this one up if it lasted longer on me. i want a fragrance that lasted like dolce and gabbana, i would go out ALL night and i would wake up the next day at the beginning of the afternoon with the scent still on me.

i was surprised that they were eau de toilette, i thought they would be eau de parfum, definetly some stuff worth buying, but i need to come back a few times to try a fe of them on my skin to see which one lasts longer on me of the ones that i like

did you try L'Ombre dans L'Eau (shadow in the water)?

my favorite right now.. love the dark and damp rose sent.. so nice for a winter walk in the snow

for diptyque i dont think longevity is a big problem at al.. my EDT last even longer than other EDP that i have.

did you try L'Ombre dans L'Eau (shadow in the water)?

my favorite right now.. love the dark and damp rose sent.. so nice for a winter walk in the snow

for diptyque i dont think longevity is a big problem at al.. my EDT last even longer than other EDP that i have.

you know what, i didn't pay attention to any names except for phylosokos because already had my mind set on trying it on. the graphic of the bottles themselves also do not make much of an impact, since they are black and white and very simple looking the name really doesn't stand out much, but i remember that one that i smelled and liked a lot had rose on it's composition, so it may be that one. i also liked one that was very citrus based (again, didn't bother to check the name).

i don't know what your expectations are for a fragrance in what it comes to longevity, but i would like a fragrance that would last for 8 hours. i sprayed phylosokos once on my wrist and rubbed in my other wrist and behing my ear, and about 3/4 hours later it was pretty much gone.but i think(i acknowledge i can be completely wrong) that the longevity of a fragrance really depends on the combination of a person skin and fragrance used, what may not last much in me, may last a lot of time in someone else. or am i just demanding too much when it comes to a fragrance longevity?

I also felt that Philosykos faded quickly on me, and that was a factor in my not buying it then. I have since wondered if it only seemed to fade quickly because I was wearing L'Autre on the other wrist and that goes like the Energizer bunny (plus it's a much "stronger" scent to begin with.)

I'm back...everyone calm down. :cool:

Tangerine summed up Diptyque perfectly...fairly linear stuff, but still relativley interesting. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau is my favourite (the candle version is called Baies). They've been around since the 80's I believe, and I would put them in the category of daytime-type scents. Don't expect any of them to act like a Serge Lutens, with complicated twists and turns and lasting power for days. They intended to be fairly minimalist, casual scents.

All the bottles look the same, and some of their stuff just doesn't work for me...I find them a bit too simple sometimes, and better suited to a candle/roomspray. If you have access to the whole line, definitely give them all a fair shot though.

I'd recommend these the most:

-Tam Dao, which is based on sandalwood

-L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, which is roses and blackcurrant

-Do Son, which is based on tuberose

-Philosykos, as discussed, based on fig

i just picked up miller et bertaux "parfume trouve #1" for my girlfriend which is incredibly mysterious and compelling, not unlike her. definitely a warmth from the sandalwood in there, but there is this fragrant, almost flowery spiciness, which i think is the black iris in it, which mingles with cumin that puts this into the realm of the sublime. i cant wait to give it to her...

i ended up picking up the serge lutens "chergui" which is exclusive to barneys, for myself. i didnt notice the citrus notes in this in the store as much, its also a pretty complex fragrance. very curious to see what the drydown brings...

Those are both great scents...good choices.

Whoever was asking about winter colognes...random suggestions:

-Ambre Precieux by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier

-Prada Ambre Pour Homme

-Bvlgari Black

-Chypre Rouge by Serge Lutens

-Eau Noir by Dior Homme

Egypt - regarding longetivity, keep in mind that sometime you'll want a scent that doesn't last until tomorrow. What you wear to work or in any confined space...that sort of thing. I was on a plane recently and I could smell the flight attendant's skank ass Issey Miyake the entire time...he probably sprayed it on that morning, and it was in full force by the afternoon flight I was on. Innappropriate. :mad:

I tried a few CdG scents on my skin the past few days. I like Odeur 53 the best so far. Sequoia turned pretty acrid. Play smelled like soap. And 71 was decent, but I prefered 53 over it.

try harissa and kyoto, they are my favourites out of all them

Those are both great scents...good choices.

its funny, but ive changed my mind about the the first one, i absolutely dont like it anymore, especially the drydown, yuck. theres something in it that reminds me of an old lady's handbag and theres to much going on in it. it has this cloying, dissonate element thats just too much. i got some on the sleeve of my sweatshirt days ago and its still there, just as potent as ever...

the serge lutens is nice, but im on the fence about it. you really notice the lime/citrus notes after a few hours and that reminds me of a bar rag...

next time, im wearing whatever i buy next for a day before purchasing it.

ah i need to break out my box of fragrances. i stopped wearing them after i went on my trip to asia (only brought yohji's fragrance and used it up) as it was a pain in the ass to carry around bottles while moving all the time. that reminds me i have to re-up on that and mitsouko.

i tried some serge lutens (finally) - i like arabie, although i don't know how wearable it would be. chergui was just ok at first, but it grew on me as it set into my skin (maybe a bit too heavy on the vanilla though). i also never smelled any of the dior homme colognes and actually liked eau noir.

tried the cdg incense fragrances that i hadn't smelled - was surprised by ouarzazate - contemplated purchasing it.

anyone have anything good to trade for some full bottles of MPG Vetiver and Racine (i think)? :D

gimmegimme, with all the respect, I have to disagree on Molecule1 btw, it reminds me of Sequoia with a twist =)

It was a literal comment...its something like 60 or 70% of a synthetic molecule called Iso E Super, which really doesn't have much of a smell at all (hence the boring comment). Its typically used to accentuate other ingredients.

So I was at Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus today and tried some stuff. Tried Victor and Rolf's Antidote, but I really didn't like it, and Bulgari Black, which was pretty good, considering how much hate I've heard over it. And then I tried a Hermes one, I think it was Terre d'Hermes, and I really liked it. Very classy, I think I'm going to get it nexst time I need something new.

what can you tell me about the use of candles by for example, dyptique or CDG?

i am contemplating buying one, but i don't know if it justifies the price tag.

If i let a candle burn for one hour, will the smell last a lot of time in the room or do i have to let it burn continously?

what can you tell me about the use of candles by for example, dyptique or CDG?

i am contemplating buying one, but i don't know if it justifies the price tag.

If i let a candle burn for one hour, will the smell last a lot of time in the room or do i have to let it burn continously?