Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

yes.

i might axe for help to cop as a parting gift into the real worldz. i'll ask carolyne which one she likes better.

she might say you smell like doo doo. CDG makes you smell like doo doo.

p.s. i hope this scents ain't sexpensive. i can't afford to spend bank on pheromones.

CDG 2 is a bit on the feminine side, but sometimes that's a good thing. Either way, I think both 2 and 2Man are a bit heavy for summer. Ditto for the Incense series.

I always forget to suggest 71...its a good summer scent. Rhubarb would still be my fav summer scent they make though. The new Energy series are probabably suitable too...although I hear they're kinda boring.

ps - there are other companies out there that make cologne besides CDG :rolleyes: . Anybody interested in anything else???

Alright, I am looking to get my girlfriend a good summer scent. She likes (and I like) and wears Hypnotic Poison right now for reference. I am thinking something with a good gardenia scent to it. Any recommendations to try out?

I am beginning to become immune to the smell of hypnotic and I don't want that because I love smelling it.

anything good from Parfumerie Generale? I got a sample of Yuzu Ab Irato but don't think I'm going to like it much from smelling it.

They have a few decent scents, but they're all fairly "foody" smelling (not sure if you're into that). Much of their floral/fruit stuff is bland. I've yet to sample a lot of them though, so its a bit of a generalization.

Alright, I am looking to get my girlfriend a good summer scent. She likes (and I like) and wears Hypnotic Poison right now for reference. I am thinking something with a good gardenia scent to it. Any recommendations to try out?

I am beginning to become immune to the smell of hypnotic and I don't want that because I love smelling it.

Try Velvet Gardenia by Tom Ford ($$$) or Tuberose Gardenia by Estee Lauder ($$). Both are good renditions of the flower...most other gardenia perfumes don't smell anything like gardenia (ie - Chanel).

ps - Hypnotic Poison is quite nice. Look for stuff with almond and jasmin notes for something similar. L'Eau d'Hiver by Frederic Malle ($$$) or Cologne Blanche by Dior Homme ($$).

Anyone care to reccommend me a citrus-y scent for men? I'm really loving the smell of bergamot right now and want a lighter scent for spring/summer.

Divine Bergamote by The Different Company is definitely the nicest bergamot scent I know.

Otherwise, Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes, Eau Sauvage by Dior, Eau d'Hadrian by Annick Goutal, etc.

I recently got samples of CDG Soda and Skai, and Yohji Homme. I dig the Yohji, I'm going to have to get a larger decant for cool weather. I really loved the Skai too, and will definitely be buying a full bottle of that. Soda was a little disappointing on me, but better on my wife. I'm not really a citrus fan anyway.

GG, can you recommend a good, non traditional rose scent for a female? My wife wears something rose now that is a little too "mature" smelling in my book. She just tried the Rosine Poussiere de Rose, but found that too powdery. Steer me in the right direction...

I recently got samples of CDG Soda and Skai, and Yohji Homme. I dig the Yohji, I'm going to have to get a larger decant for cool weather. I really loved the Skai too, and will definitely be buying a full bottle of that. Soda was a little disappointing on me, but better on my wife. I'm not really a citrus fan anyway.

GG, can you recommend a good, non traditional rose scent for a female? My wife wears something rose now that is a little too "mature" smelling in my book. She just tried the Rosine Poussiere de Rose, but found that too powdery. Steer me in the right direction...

My favourite feminine roses:

-Une Rose by Frederic Malle (expensive, very strong)

-Rose Absolu by Yves Rocher (cheap, fruity, but good)

-Ta'if by Ormonde Jayne (expensive, peppery)

-Drole de Rose by L'Artisan Parfumeur (violet & rose)

-Une Zeste de Rose by Parfums Rosine (citrus rose)

Awesome thread, I'm thinking of ordering some samples from Lucky Scent. I know I'm gonna get one of the CdG Sequoia, but I'm not really sure what else. I've never owned cologne before so I'm not really sure what I like and don't like.

With that said can you recommend me a couple other samples that will help show me the difference in "types" of colognes. (Like fruity/ floral/ wood/ musk/ you will know what I mean better than I do.)

I got to hand it to you GimmeGimme…you absolutely own this thread.

I dont know nuthin bout no one.

Awesome thread, I'm thinking of ordering some samples from Lucky Scent. I know I'm gonna get one of the CdG Sequoia, but I'm not really sure what else. I've never owned cologne before so I'm not really sure what I like and don't like.

With that said can you recommend me a couple other samples that will help show me the difference in "types" of colognes. (Like fruity/ floral/ wood/ musk/ you will know what I mean better than I do.)

Alrighty - a good beginner sample set from Luckyscent:

Amber - Ambre Precieux by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier

Incense - Avignon by Comme des Garcons

Patchouli - Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Vetiver - Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company

Oriental - Arabie by Serge Lutens

Citrus - Cologne Sologne by Parfums Nicolai

Wood - Sequoia by Comme des Garcons

Fruit - Rhubarb by Comme des Garcons

Sort of a random selection - but from those you'll get a pretty good idea of the general area you'd be interested in.

GG, I would love you if you told me something more about these ..

6a00d8345250f069e200e5522f657a8834-.jpg

Christopher Brosius, "CB I Hate Perfume", uhmm .. all I know is these would look good lined up in my medicine cabinet .. or anywhere

edit: just noticed these are on ffffound .. everything from dieline winds up there

What do you think of L'Artisan Parfumeur?

It's got a high price point but there's a shop in NYC and looking at their site they've got some interesting summer fragrances…any thoughts GGG (guru gimmegimme)?

Incense - Avignon by Comme des Garcons

Shit is ridiculously powerful off the top. Serious incense business.

Yea, I'm reading about them on his/the site right now, semi abstract descriptions but if you can relate to them they really offer an excellent feel for each scent.

It is sort of a downside and limits it's wearability but I think I could work my way around it ..

Anyway the fact that those bottles have anything in them is almost just a bonus, the whole product is just amazing I WANT IT ALL

GG, I would love you if you told me something more about these ..

Christopher Brosius, "CB I Hate Perfume", uhmm .. all I know is these would look good lined up in my medicine cabinet .. or anywhere

edit: just noticed these are on ffffound .. everything from dieline winds up there

I visited the CB Gallery a while back. Posted a bit about it too in this thread. They're seriously potent. My 3 absolute favorites were Violet Empire, Under the Arbor, and Gathering Apples. I know gimmegimme is also quite partial to Russian Caravan Tea but it didn't quite do it for me. In The Library is also a really beautiful subtle scent. There's something almost "dusty" about it. In a good way.

Maybe my nose is a little weird but what smells "smoky" to Brosius just smells sour to me. So I didn't get much out of a bunch of them for that reason. And many of the others are VERY soapy too. Too much so for my taste but maybe not for other people. His musk is also really intense. It's an interesting buch of scents but some of them definitely need to be used delicately or they'll just get overwhelming.

those are all water based fragrances meat, he is able to extract and utilize so many different essences through that. the downside is they wear very quickly.

I don't know which ones you tried and whether you were using the watered down spray or the pure oil but I can say from experience that Violet Empire for one (applied as an oil, just to pulse points) tends to last a long while on me although it does change a bit over time.

I visited the CB Gallery a while back. Posted a bit about it too in this thread. They're seriously potent. My 3 absolute favorites were Violet Empire, Under the Arbor, and Gathering Apples. I know gimmegimme is also quite partial to Russian Caravan Tea but it didn't quite do it for me. In The Library is also a really beautiful subtle scent. There's something almost "dusty" about it. In a good way.

Maybe my nose is a little weird but what smells "smoky" to Brosius just smells sour to me. So I didn't get much out of a bunch of them for that reason. And many of the others are VERY soapy too. Too much so for my taste but maybe not for other people. His musk is also really intense. It's an interesting buch of scents but some of them definitely need to be used delicately or they'll just get overwhelming.

It didn't even occur to me that those were the oils ahah ..

I think maybe your nose isn't wierd but CBs is, it says something about particular chemical sensitivies relating to musk.

Gathering Apples immediately has the most appeal to me based on my personal childhood nostaligia, which seems to be a theme for the series. Burning Leaves is appealing for the same reason.

What do you think of L'Artisan Parfumeur?

It's got a high price point but there's a shop in NYC and looking at their site they've got some interesting summer fragrances…any thoughts GGG (guru gimmegimme)?

Shit is ridiculously powerful off the top. Serious incense business.

L'Artisan make some of my favourite stuff. I'm pretty picky about what I buy, and I have several of their bottles. Bois Farine, Dzine, Dzonkha, The Pour Un Ete, and Mure et Musc are my fav's. Next on my to-buy list from them is Patchouli Patch, which is quite strange...it starts off smelling like typical hippie, but keeps changing....its like 5 colonges in 1. Good deals.

About I Hate Perfume - I have the Russian Caravan Tea in the water-format, and it lasts really long on my skin, but you have douse quite a bit on. I really like his concepts, even if some of them are a bit too...conceptual.