Going to Montréal

Fookums

tried to post this earlier, but SF messed up on me again.

Beatniks on St. Denis and Pins might work as well. But we'll tell you all this stuff next weekend Joey

about customs-

for the most part and probably in the areas you'll be in most, english will be predominant.

If you try and speak french, they'll generally answer you in english. I'm sure they'll still appreciate the effort though.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are french manners/customs the same in montreal? i.e. saying bonjour to people all the time, or making an effort to try and speak french?

Most people in downtown montreal will speak english, but if you make the effort to speak french, it's always well received and people will usually be more open after, assuming they do speak french!

thanks for the recommendations.

which place would you recommend for a nice dinner (anywhere under 100 per person). my gf is a vegetarian...

If your GF is vegeterian, I'd highly recommend the vegan restaurant just north of Mont-Royal on St-Laurent (on the east side on the street). It's cheap (10$ or so) and perfect for lunch. A personal favourite. As for fancier vegan places for a nice dinner, I don't think I know any, sorry. I actually don't know any fancy places off hand haha.

Also, I highly recommend going to Cristal No. 1 in Chinatown, awsome Pho. The indian restaurants in are always good and cheap and have a lot of vegeterian choices. There's a bunch on St-Laurent near St-Viateur, or on Jean-Talon east of Parc, but that might be out of the way. Still, let me know if you want to go there, I live around there (little Italy).

If you're willing to push the limits of your $100/per budget (still under, but barely in many cases), Toque was simply amazing when I was last there in 2003.

http://www.restaurant-toque.com/eng/index.htm

Edit: You may want to call them. I know I ate there with a vegetarian, but their menu looks grim for vegetarians at the moment.

Errr Toqué! isn't a bring your own wine so you'll pay waaaay over $100. The only way to pay like $100 is to take the 5 services (anyone who doesn't do at least 7 services is a certified bastard IMHO) degustation (without wine) and that does not include tips. This degustation won't be tailored for vegetarians so forget about it.

We'd just grabbed a first and main course and a couple of glasses of wine. It looks like that's still around $100.00 each with tip. At some point, I'd love to have the time and money to check out their tasting menu, but who knows when that will be.

It appears I'm a certified bastard. I think I'm ok with that.

first time at Togué HAS to be the degustation, and that'll run about 200.

I second the suggestion of chuchai on st. denis for vegetarian, really quite good. They have both a "fancy" sitting, and next door is the "casual" sitting.

Avoid Le Commensal at all costs IMO, really sub-par.

getting my SZ password back seems like mission impossible for now so i'll post here since i guess most of you guys will check this thread anyway.

(sorry in advance for the cross posting)

Are most of you guys going to have had a bite before 7 or should we go grab something together to eat at some point?
i didn't want to say anything in fear of looking snobbish, but there's also no way i can have dinner before 7, so i'll go with whoever didn't eat and grab something quick sometimes in the evening after a few drink, which most likely will mean a shish taouk...

for those who have no idea what i'm talking about

http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/2/18536/ShowThread.aspx

getting my SZ password back seems like mission impossible for now so i'll post here since i guess most of you guys will check this thread anyway.

i didn't want to say anything in fear of looking snobbish, but there's also no way i can have dinner before 7, so i'll go with whoever didn't eat and grab something quick sometimes in the evening after a few drink, which most likely will mean a shish taouk...

that's what I was trying to get accross, shish taouk sounds good and there are plenty nearby. A poutine might also be in order since we have someone from out of town.

I won't have time to eat before 7 either, so you definitely won't be alone. I'm scared of going to la belle province and having poutine, haven't had it for so long haha.

Can anybody tell me which H&M in Montreal has the mens stuff? Rockland had a small selection before... but according to the website, it's just women's and kids? WTF?!?!

Edit: That's odd, it now says that the Rockland website sells H&M Man. How is the selection at this store? Worth taking me away from downtown all the way out to Rockland Centre?

And the best bus route to take from a metro station coming from downtown too :)

Can anybody tell me which H&M in Montreal has the mens stuff? Rockland had a small selection before... but according to the website, it's just women's and kids? WTF?!?!

Edit: That's odd, it now says that the Rockland website sells H&M Man. How is the selection at this store? Worth taking me away from downtown all the way out to Rockland Centre?

And the best bus route to take from a metro station coming from downtown too :)

i haven't been there for a while, but they didn't have any mens stuff last time i was there (they might have added it since though). my friend told me the laval store (in the suburb) have some mens stuff, but i've never been there. the best way to go to rockland from downtown is to take the 80 bus (parc avenue) till terminus and walk about 5 min. you can also catch the 179 bus from either acadie or parc metro station on the blue line (i forgot which, cause it changed). you could also walk from crémazie station on the orange line, but it would take about 20 min (you have to walk on the north side of the highway cause othewise, you won't be able to cross a train track). rockland shopping mall sucks otherwise (only thing they have is a style exchange and i'm not sure you would want to shop there anyway).

don't know when you'll come, but public transport will be free this weekend

i haven't been there for a while, but they didn't have any mens stuff last time i was there (they might have added it since though). my friend told me the laval store (in the suburb) have some mens stuff, but i've never been there. the best way to go to rockland from downtown is to take the 80 bus (parc avenue) till terminus and walk about 5 min. you can also catch the 179 bus from either acadie or parc metro station on the blue line (i forgot which, cause it changed). you could also walk from crémazie station on the orange line, but it would take about 20 min (you have to walk on the north side of the highway cause othewise, you won't be able to cross a train track). rockland shopping mall sucks otherwise (only thing they have is a style exchange and i'm not sure you would want to shop there anyway).

don't know when you'll come, but public transport will be free this weekend

Actually, I was thinking about going this weekend, or on Monday (less rain) so thank you very much for the tip about free transit! I just read on STMs website that they're opening up 3 new Metro stations so I guess that's the reason.

Acadie appears to be the closest station. I'll probably just get off there and walk the 10-15 minutes, or take the 179.

H&M is the only reason why I'm taking the trip out to Rockland. Other than that, a few shops on St. Catherines and Simons, then walk down to the record shops on St. Denis and St Laurent. Nothing really in particular I'm looking for... maybe some cheap fitted dress shirts, and ties, a new dress belt for my gf, and perhaps some jeans. I'm coming from Ottawa... there's nothing here!

Actually, I was thinking about going this weekend, or on Monday (less rain) so thank you very much for the tip about free transit! I just read on STMs website that they're opening up 3 new Metro stations so I guess that's the reason.

Acadie appears to be the closest station. I'll probably just get off there and walk the 10-15 minutes, or take the 179.

H&M is the only reason why I'm taking the trip out to Rockland. Other than that, a few shops on St. Catherines and Simons, then walk down to the record shops on St. Denis and St Laurent. Nothing really in particular I'm looking for... maybe some cheap fitted dress shirts, and ties, a new dress belt for my gf, and perhaps some jeans. I'm coming from Ottawa... there's nothing here!

yeah, public transport is free to celebrate that we spent almost a billions dollars, 4 times the budget, to open 3 new subway stations, ...

acadie is a little far from rockland, maybe more like 30 min walk. the buses run like every 40 min on the week-end (except the 80 which is awesome and runs all the time) so it's always a good idea to check the schedule. as you might already know, we're having a sufu meet-up on saturday night so feel free to come if you are available, it should be pretty fun (check the info on the link to sz i posted a couple posts up).

yeah, public transport is free to celebrate that we spent almost a billions dollars, 4 times the budget, to open 3 new subway stations, ...

acadie is a little far from rockland, maybe more like 30 min walk. the buses run like every 40 min on the week-end (except the 80 which is awesome and runs all the time) so it's always a good idea to check the schedule. as you might already know, we're having a sufu meet-up on saturday night so feel free to come if you are available, it should be pretty fun (check the info on the link to sz i posted a couple posts up).

Oh, I didn't read about the meetup. I was planning on just going for a shopping trip and back to Snottawa by midnight. Sounds like a good way to kill off the evening if I'm there on Saturday.

Guest Montreal

Rockland has two H&M's - one that carries just women's clothing, and another that carries both men's and women's.

I'm upset I didn't get an invite :(

Rockland has two H&M's - one that carries just women's clothing, and another that carries both men's and women's.

I'm upset I didn't get an invite :(

We just posted in a thread on sz and here, so if you want to be there, you're, ofmcourse, invited....just look at the meeting time/place and show up!!

is this going to be akward for anyone else? i don't even know what any of you look like! except for fuuma, but even then i'm not sure.

Since it's rainy I'll be wearing my cloak trench...should be easy to spot. Nairb also has a pretty easy to spot signature style and he knows 2000db.

is this going to be akward for anyone else? i don't even know what any of you look like! except for fuuma, but even then i'm not sure.

yeah, i've thought about this. but it'll be akward for only like 30 sec and i'm sure we'll have tons of fun after...

explaining to my gf that i was meeting ppl i don't know, but i meet on the internet was much more akward i'm sure...

edit: i'm always wearing some hat and i've got a thing for 5 panels so most likely will be wearing a supreme hat. i'm sure we'll recognize each other though.