motorcycles and nice denim?

entrust

anyone here ride a bike? and if so do you ride in nice expensive denim? im scared to ride in my APCs and diors in the chance that i did go down they would be trashed, so i ride in my h&m or gap raws usually. is that silly?

It's probably wrong to hope you die from a giant bleeding hemorrhoid, but I do.

What year is your Vespa? I'd like to get an older one some day.

its an '05 px150, styled like the boxier antique ones. i love it. oh and yeah, its all manual, but the only recent model that is.

DSC01254.jpg

i still havent gotten around to putting on the new crash/sissy bars : /

yep all manual. The old ones are all manual right up to the nineties I thinkMine is the last of the best shape (imho), they went a bit square in '66

Where do you live? I don't recognize that license plate?

I think that if I got a Vespa I would either keep it barebones or add as much stuff to it as possible.

London UK. I reckon they look a bit daft when they have all the chrome hanging off them. A little bit of customisation is fine but people go way overboard. Mine only has the rear spare wheel and lluggage carrier but it's purely functional and I am thinking of getting rid of it because it spoils the shape a bit. Oh and the original 60's chrome pipe.....

Get one but be aware of vietnamese/indian imports and parts, the quality is substandard apparently.

My 1963 Enfield Crusader 250 (in a state of repair) last time I took her out to fix a few bits last summer.

crusader.jpg

From what i've seen Draggin's jeans seem to provide a fair bit of protection. I havn't come off in mine, but they seem prety sturdy under the drag test...(and NO,...they're not selvage!!!)

http://www.dragginjeans.net/productTesting/index.htm

From what i've seen Draggin's jeans seem to provide a fair bit of protection. I havn't come off in mine, but they seem prety sturdy under the drag test...(and NO,...they're not selvage!!!)

http://www.dragginjeans.net/productTesting/index.htm

IMHO Draggin' Jeans provide the rider with a false sense of security. Simply because when you fall, you tumble, and the patches of kevlar (or whatever they're using now) will shift around. That's why properly fitted riding/racing suits (or 2pcs) should be tight to your skin.

Beautiful bike!!

IMHO Draggin' Jeans provide the rider with a false sense of security. Simply because when you fall, you tumble, and the patches of kevlar (or whatever they're using now) will shift around. That's why properly fitted riding/racing suits (or 2pcs) should be tight to your skin.

Beautiful bike!!

Yeah I kind of agree...you are right in that nothing is going to protect you as well as a fitted leather/ GTS kevlar race suit....but then they arn't jeans. Anything that grips is gonna make you tumble though, and I would rather wear a pair of jeans with kevlar in them than without. My pair of draggin's are so effing tight on me that the kevlar wouldn't move anywhere (I am talking major sufu fit) :eek:. Having said all that i've come off in all maner of clothes on all different surfaces (off road mostly luckily), and I remember having a realy lightweight pair of jeans that held up realy well on a road slide-didn't even rip. But IMHO too I would agree with what I think you're saying in that you're taking a massive risk if you ride in jeans-seen the damage too many times....gravelrash denim just 'ain't cool (selvage or not)

A Harley?? I thought those were reserved for middle-aged men going thru a mid life crisis.

but I would never buy an American motorcycle, since the late 60's the quality just isn't there compared to Japanese rides.

The quality of American made motorcycles is actually a lot better than in the 60s because you don't have Harley's rattling themselves apart anymore.

Although, I will agree with you about Japanese motorcycles. For price and power wise, you get more for your money when buy a metric/Hardley. These companies try harder and harder every year to look like Harley's but they never will because they aren't Harley's.

People buy Harley's for the name and style and they aren't reserved for middle aged men. I'm 25 and probably not the youngest riding one.

Deadpan, that motorcycle of yours is awesome and the Mini doesn't look too bad either! Let's ride sometime. : )

The quality of American made motorcycles is actually a lot better than in the 60s because you don't have Harley's rattling themselves apart anymore.

Although, I will agree with you about Japanese motorcycles. For price and power wise, you get more for your money when buy a metric/Hardley. These companies try harder and harder every year to look like Harley's but they never will because they aren't Harley's.

People buy Harley's for the name and style and they aren't reserved for middle aged men. I'm 25 and probably not the youngest riding one.

Deadpan, that motorcycle of yours is awesome and the Mini doesn't look too bad either! Let's ride sometime. : )

Yep the quality of newer Harleys is outstanding. I had a 73 Sportster kick start that was a decent bike but nothing like the ones made since the bad AMF years. I've owned Suzukis and Hondas my brother has owned Hondas, Triumphs and a Norton but theres nothing like a Harley. A Harley is also a bike you wont loose money on.

^ i love how old beamer bikes look.

and like denom phenom said, people buy harleys for the history, the look, the nostalgia, not to go fast. harleys are classic, they never go out of style. a harley from the 40s looks just as nice as a harley today because of that, they havent changed the styling much because theres not too much wrong with it. rice burners change drastically decade to decade, or year to year for that matter, and as a result they become outdated and out of style. a harley is to motorcycles what a pair of 501s is to denim, a kawasaki is more like a pair of true religions..

Are we posting up pics of bikes now? Here's my old girl... Not exactly street legal (she's a track slut but sometimes I use her for Palomar so I gotta put on a PIAA fog light as a headlight and a zip tied a trailer brake light to the back). I tried to dress her up a bit and some stickers to make her purdy and presentable like. I rode her hard and put her away wet but she was a good 'un... I miss you baby!!

DSC09577.jpg

A V-Rod is a Harley but it isn't a Harley.

A V-Rod is Harley's attempt to get in on some of that sport-cruiser action. A market that has been dominated by bikes like the Kawasaki Mean Streak or Yamaha (Star) Roadstar Warrior. Which is funny, since most of the Japanese companies have been chasing Harley for years.

I'd love a Harley, but the costs are prohibitive compared to a similar Japanese counterpart. I used to ride a Yamaha VSTAR 1100. Love cruisers.

^ a harley is to motorcycles what a pair of 501s is to denim, a kawasaki is more like a pair of true religions..

Kawas as True Religions? Come on! There's years and years of racing tradition behind the big Japanese 4. I'd think of it more like this...

Harley are to motorcycles what Levis are to jeans.

Honda = Sugarcane

Yamaha = Eternal

Suzuki = Samurai

Kawasaki = D'Artisan or Pure Blue?

Hyosung = Nudie/APC/UNIQLO?

Triumph = ?

I saw this guy riding an old spring seat BMW today while I was going to the Harley shop. Had to have been from the 40s or 50s. It was beautiful.

AirFrog, do you still have you 73 Sporty? That had Iron heads didn't it?

Looked something like this:

r51_2.jpg

Road it for about 4 years and sold it for almost a grand more than what I paid for it. Like getting paid to ride. My experience with Harleys is yeah they cost but you usually aren't throwing your money into something you wont get any return on. And the new Harleys are really NICE.