Need some help regarding fading and whiskering

sohoADDICT

Sup fellas, im new to these forums... I'm more of a sneaker head, just got into the denim game really. I'm on ISS (dont post that much, bt2, and nikesb.org forums)

Anyway, I just need a bit of help, this forum is a kinda confusing at first. I did use the search button, but i couldnt find what I wanted.

I want some nice whiskering and fading in my jeans, but i dont know how often i should wash- I looked at the encyclopedia thread, but it didnt give any info, it was just people arguing whether monthly washing or waiting a long time was better. Also, i couldnt find "ryu's" monthly washing thing. Also, how should I wash my denim to achieve some nice fade effects. The jeans I am using are Gap selvedge, I starched and immediately wore them for about 4 hours today, then took the starch out, since i didnt want powdery-looking jeans, lol. The creases are setting in quite nicely in the upper thighs and behind the knees.

Before today, I pretty much wore these years for 7 days straight (im on spring break), but the creases only got REALLY nice today after the starching. So thats pretty much the scenario, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

yea brb im beyond tired, 1sec gotta grab the camera lol

edit: now that i washed the starch out the creases that were crazy good (the diagonal thigh ones and the ones behind the knees) pretty much went away... theyre somewhat apparent when i wear the jeans but when i took them off to lay out the creaes arent really visibe.

ALso, my jeans are looking disgusting w the starch lol

Quite the starching, start the wearing, wash when need to.

One thing that is not real apparent through info on these forums is that though washing everyday will wear out your jeans in a hurry, so will not washing at all. In my experience and reading, not washing at all makes the jeans disintegrate. I would wash every month or so. At least soak to get some of the oils and crap out as to not destroy the denim.

Before today, I pretty much wore these years for 7 days straight (im on spring break), but the creases only got REALLY nice today after the starching.

so have you worn them for years or for 7 days? anyways the best way to get fadinig is to wear them most days of the week HARD and not wash them for 6 months or longer.

i got the jeans a few months ago, only wore them once, and decided to try the whole creasing/fading thing at the beginning of spring break, so ive worn them pretty much all spring break. when I first bought them, i washed them inside out (because the tag said so, and i didnt know any better at the time haha)

anyway how do i get these crap looking starch stains out? just soak them in cold water?

so have you worn them for years or for 7 days? anyways the best way to get fadinig is to wear them most days of the week HARD and not wash them for 6 months or longer.

As I tried to illustrate, only do not wash for 6 mos or longer if you want your jeans to fall apart. If you want to get good fades and let the jeans last long enough to do so, wash them every so often (at least a soak every month or so).

why even bother washing :/ check out some of the pictures of how denim fades...some of these guys havent washed their shit in over 4 years (nudie RRDS guy...)...i mean a good soak here and there will be good but just dont worry about washing and just keep wearing them...if it starts to smell, hang it out and let it air out. or ive never personally tried this but put it in the freazer over night or something.

and yeah, if you wear them a ton without washing at all, it might start to tear here and there but you can take them to get repaired if needed and/or like others suggested, soak them once in awhile.

why even bother washing :/ check out some of the pictures of how denim fades...some of these guys havent washed their shit in over 4 years (nudie RRDS guy...)...i mean a good soak here and there will be good but just dont worry about washing and just keep wearing them...if it starts to smell, hang it out and let it air out. or ive never personally tried this but put it in the freazer over night or something.

and yeah, if you wear them a ton without washing at all, it might start to tear here and there but you can take them to get repaired if needed and/or like others suggested, soak them once in awhile.

stop feeding the myth! IT DOESNT WORK lol

but yeah just wear another pair and let them air out for a week or two...

hah...on my first pair i put undiluted liquid starch on my whiskers/lap knee area and on my combs

..i too got the starchy look and i wore it for about a month like that, looked like fades so it was pretty cool:pwell until it rained and washed away some of the starch...so i gave it a 2 hr soak and a 2 min. shower rinse and all was good...now i find that a 50/50 mix of liquid starch will give you the stiffness without getting the too much starch look..

im not really denim king nr 1 here, but this is a no brainer.

No starch, and WEAR them all day every day until they do have the whiskers and fades you want. This could take 3 months to 2+ years depending on life style and what look you´re after. If they are getting nasty, air them out. If you spill something nasty on them, wash the spot with a little water and air out. When you have worn them into the ground, read up on different washing methods in the encyclopedia.

see you in 4-24 months!

heres what i do, and it works for me.

wear your jeans alot. every day. if you want really nice fades you need to stop thinking about the process and make it the norm. do everything in them.

when your jeans are dirty, and start to smell, wash them. dont put them in the dryer. i wash mine about nce a month.

dont worry about starch, just wear your jeans. if you wear them every day they will hold the creases, even after a wash.

Hews and CMF hit the nail on the head with this one. I am also in the school of though that believes in washing your jeans when dirty. It makes sense to and there is zero reason not to. CFM also brings up a good point about fading. To get a good fade on your jeans your goal can't be "fade me jeans" but instead you must think "these are only jeans and so I can wear them doing what ever". Once you can let go of your denim you can really begin to fade your denim in a manner that is pleasing. I do this within reason, like if I know that I am going to be working with glues, solvents, oils I will wear a pair that maybe I have already accidentally stained or got glue all over but for the most part I justr wear my jeans all the time and then wash them when they get dirty.

With lighter-weight denim like Ernest Sewn though, an initial startch can help define creases. of course wearing them a ton is key, but I keep startch around for when my lighter-weight pairs smooth out.

I also really like the feel of stiffer denim, and I starch my skulls every couple weeks as well. Just do a quick spray and wear them while drying.

I don't know how someone can go 4 years without washing their jeans. crotch fungus is not nice. I like to keep things nice and simple. I wear my jeans, when they start to smell a little like ass (not stink of ass from a foot away), I give them a cold water wash with a little vegetable or plain laundry soap (I stay away from enzyme/phosphate based detergent) and then hang dry under shade. A bit of salt in the water doesn't hurt either (i think it's supposed to stop indigo bleed or something. truthfully, i've never seen any difference either way. if i forget the salt, it doesn't bother me). I also chuck in some powdered clothing starch (cheaper than liquid or spray) in the rinse water, just enough to get the jeans crisp, but not in anyway rock hard. My jeans fade fine for me this way. Of course, that's me. jeans are jeans, doesn't matter if they cost $30 or $300, they're clothing. I've only got so much spare time, and it's better spent on things other than getting the right ratio of starch, or the right angle of bend on the knee for maximum honeycombage, etc...

If you really want frustration over lack of fade and whiskering, try wearing 15oz moleskins. 5 years of motorcycle riding and my fav pair was just coming about before my current jeans obsession. now they're tucked away with my other pairs of moleskins, that i never have the time to wear.

As I tried to illustrate, only do not wash for 6 mos or longer if you want your jeans to fall apart. If you want to get good fades and let the jeans last long enough to do so, wash them every so often (at least a soak every month or so).

I try to go 6 months on all of my raw denim and have yet to have a pair fall apart.

• 3 weeks later...
@least soak them, if youre worried about the dye loss...please.:eek: -salaami-

Dry clean em if you're worried about dye loss. I hot soaked my eternals and got dye staining up to my elbows. As for 6 month old puss, think of all that lovely marinated goodness. mmm mmm. Now excuse me while I hurl...:eek: