Any takers here?

airfrogusmc

INteresting how low the arcuate stitching is - they vary a lot from one example to another. They're post 1936 - they also show how that first LVC 201 repro was incorrect in having a leather patch, as they still had the cloth two horse patch in the late 30s.

Some of the rarer pieces of denim made today that are made WELL will prob. go up in price (along with the 555 LVC), but really what people are paying money for here is not just an item of clothing that is inherently rare because a) only very small batches (by todays standards) were made B) really what you're buying is a part of american history/an icon of Americana. It's what it represents that we pay so much for.

Some collect for the love it, some for the investment and some both. Original Levis were selling for less just a few years ago. Its like 555 LVCs. You could have bought'm new for $125 put'm on shelf NWTs left them alone and could probably get realisticly $350 maybe $400 today. I'd say a pretty good return on your $$$$.

Guest jeffvyain

sure...if you buy 50 pairs of them it might be worth the hassle. otherwise, i'd rather play the stock market. and if i want old stuff that's going to appreciate in value, i'd much rather have my 57 gibson than a pair of jeans that i can't wear.

if someone wants to wear them just for the love of denim, though, and they have the money to drop, i'm 100% behind them, because it would be fuckin rad to wear a pair of jeans from 60-70 years ago

sure...if you buy 50 pairs of them it might be worth the hassle. otherwise, i'd rather play the stock market. and if i want old stuff that's going to appreciate in value, i'd much rather have my 57 gibson than a pair of jeans that i can't wear.

if someone wants to wear them just for the love of denim, though, and they have the money to drop, i'm 100% behind them, because it would be fuckin rad to wear a pair of jeans from 60-70 years ago

You're miss'n the point. If you have a passion for it and you buy something that is going to be worth more than when you bought it it makes it just that much better. Like a 40s knucklehead or a vintage Corvette. You love'm and if you take care of them they'll probably fetch more if you ever decide to sell them than what you paid.

Guest jeffvyain

there's a big difference between taking care of a vintage corvette and taking care of a pair of jeans. this is, of course, under the assumption that you will not wear the pair of jeans, in which case you are simply paying a shit ton of money to look at an old piece of fabric. you can, however, drive an old corvette (late 60s early 70s stingray is my fav car btw)...but if you're simply buying an old corvette to look at it, that is just as pointless. i'm all for buying old stuff. i am a true believer that most things just aren't made like they used to be. i LOVE old shit. that said, i will never understand the idea of ownership for it's own sake. if it ain't being put to use, there's no use in having it.

long story short....WEAR THE JEANS! :)

there's a big difference between taking care of a vintage corvette and taking care of a pair of jeans. this is, of course, under the assumption that you will not wear the pair of jeans, in which case you are simply paying a shit ton of money to look at an old piece of fabric. you can, however, drive an old corvette (late 60s early 70s stingray is my fav car btw)...but if you're simply buying an old corvette to look at it, that is just as pointless. i'm all for buying old stuff. i am a true believer that most things just aren't made like they used to be. i LOVE old shit. that said, i will never understand the idea of ownership for it's own sake. if it ain't being put to use, there's no use in having it.

long story short....WEAR THE JEANS! :)

Then you could say that about allot collecting in general stamps, coins, they have only an esthetic value. I know someone that has a couple of really rare guitars. He rarely plays them if at all but has them none the less. Allot of folks that have very expensive cars might only drive them a couple times a year if that. I know guys that collect WWII flight jackets and some they only display. Same with some that collect vintage Levis. Just because it ain't your cup of tea don't mean it aint somebody elses.