what are you eating today?

soepom

I made vegetable red curry soup with rice for a friend (recipe here). I don't think she really appreciated it as she said, "It tastes like normal soup" and "It's too spicy!" It really wasn't excessively spicy, it tasted just like the time I had had it before. It should be good with sriracha.

P1010843.JPG

what the hells with people in here and their macaroons?

I felt the same until i had a french style macaroon. Prior to this i had only had what most would call a Jewish Macaroon:

10z0cqr.jpg

While delish, they're not anything to get fanatical about (unless you're jewish I suppose)

French Macaroons...

jagos9.jpg

...are kinda whats up, given that there is a nice little layer of sweet cream or butter sitting in the middle. Also they have more flavor varieties then just Almond.

Bouchon Bakery in the Time Warner center makes some pretty good ones if you're up that way.

correct, while almond powder is still a main ingredient, the french macaroons have different flavors (I.E Lavender, Tangerine, Chocolate, Green Tea, etc). Search the thread and you will see people posting pics with flavor descriptions.

Jewish Macaroons, I have only had the basic almond or almond dipped in chocolate.

just for clarification, since I'm the resident Jew of SuFu, Macaroon's are just a Eastern European cookie, and the common flavor these days, rather than almond (which is still a main ingredient) is coconut, more specifically coconut shavings.

just clarifying.

French macaroons are basically just chipwhiches.

correct, while almond powder is still a main ingredient, the french macaroons have different flavors (I.E Lavender, Tangerine, Chocolate, Green Tea, etc). Search the thread and you will see people posting pics with flavor descriptions.

Jewish Macaroons, I have only had the basic almond or almond dipped in chocolate.

Yes, I know macarons very well and have been eating them since the last 10 years. Just to clarify what i said: I said that their main ingredients include almond powder, so they're all almond flavored and that the labelled flavors are added on top of that. (I eat macarons extremely often, when I was living in Paris, i would eat them almost every week). I remember my dad would get me a big Isaphan from pierre hermé (huge rose macaron with litchi pieces and raspberries in the middle) for my birthday as a birthday cake. I could eat macarons all the time, they are my favorite dessert.

B.e-n, we can agree that the ones with the "labelled flavors...added on top of that" do taste more like their added flavor and less like the almond base, no?

Jeepster, was conflicted on mentioning the coconut shavings. The first (and best) Jewish macaroons I had as a kid were sans coconut. Over passover I did however have some solid ones with coconut and a chocolate dipping.

i dont know about that, the almond flavor often overpowers the labeled flavor. i would have to say that pistachio is my favorite flavor though.

for example, i recently had a jasmine macaron and it tasted more like almonds.

Most of the time, it's overwhelming sweetness that bothers me. That said,I've had good experiences with macarons at sadharu aoki and pierre herme, where the aromatic content of the added flavour is not overwhelmed by the almond. (Though with regards to jasmine macarons, I had a similar experience at PH. couldn't taste the jasmine at all)

(Though with regards to jasmine macarons, I had a similar experience at PH. couldn't taste the jasmine at all)

We're talking about the same one. I could maybe feel a little jasmine aftertaste but not much at all. I feel that PH's quality has gone down recently. Their macarons used to be so much better.

for gossip girl and macarons lovers, chuck offers blair a box of pierre hermé macarons (and pronounces the word macaroon) in the most recent episode.

last meal in the cafeteria, sucked as per usual..

3549954623_dde3688f94_o.jpg

corned beef brisket with au jous..

3549954619_426cb53431_o.jpg

best friend's mom's swordfish w/mango salsa and rice (dankkkk)..

3549954615_99ff8bc6ae_o.jpg

homemade cappuccino from tha kitchen :] ..

3549954605_f971d30b55_o.jpg

My first time making sushi.. i think i did a good job :D

unagi, california roll

S7301566.jpg

other california rolls

S7301567.jpg

dragon roll, spam masubi , and more california rolls :D

S7301564.jpg

and the leftovers went to make some kind of fried rice

S7301578.jpg

delicious