what are you eating today?

soepom

you put it in the oven at a low temperature, like 150. At that temperature, it won't be cooking anything, just keeping it warm.

When you rest meat, the actual temperature inside goes up too, I think.

Best way is to heat one of those cast iron skillets til smoking, do both sides for a few minutes so you get a crust on them, then put the whole thing in the oven, skillet and all.

I hope thats not spaghetti

nah, its some dried AzN noodles, although I have used spaghetti when im out of the regular stuff.

making a good steak can depend on the thickness of it. if its pretty thin, searing it over medium high heat on both sides should be good. for thicker piecies, start with a sear on high heat, and I usually don't let the 2nd side sear as much since its going to be on the botton anyway. put that in a 350 oven for like 10 min and then rest it under a foil tent for a few min.

^ the last cake was apple cider buttersctoch cake.

i knew i could count on you to remember buddy.

mum took me out for a kiddie dimsum as a belated celebration for my birthday:

(can't remember the exact names of the dishes so i've invented some corny uncreative approximations)

wayet1204alb5.jpg

"longevity peaches" - a miniature interpretation of the peach buns for traditional chinese birthdays.

wayet1204bhv8.jpg

"crispy pumpkin" - deep fried yam cake stuffed with salty lotus paste

wayet1204chg8.jpg

"rainbow tadpoles" - dumpling stuffed with vegetables and shrimp paste

wayet1204dcx1.jpg

"fortune frogs" - steamed seafood patty with mushroom and water chestnut

wayet1204etm0.jpg

"hedgehog" - coconut bun

wayet1204foc6.jpg

"sweet snails" - flaky pastry with red bean filling

wayet1204gdv4.jpg

"mini mice" - dumplings stuffed with "luo han" vegetarian mix

wayet1204hub9.jpg

"hot dogs" - chinese sausage wrapped in fluffy soft bun

wayet1204jyq1.jpg

"curry bears" - crispy pastry with curried potato filling

nice colours on that last meal dizzle.

Man you guys were so holding out on me! The past few posts of food looks amazing.

Oh and Happy belated Birthday ;)

thank you lah!

and yes, we have deliberately withheld some good food secrets so as to entice you to return to the island again.

How to cook a steak.

Cooking steak is like driving a train. You start out accelerating to top speed then gradually slow down as you're arriving at your preferred destination, be it medium rare or cancer inducing. There's no turning back.

The size, cut, type, marbling and age of meat all affect cooking times and results. Gigantic American sized steaks take longer to cook. Anything with bone on also takes longer. Bigger is not necessarily better.

The first thing you want to do is to warm up your oven. Then trim your meat. The things you'll want to remove are excess fat and sinew or silver skin.

Second thing is shape. Truss your meat into a nice round shape. For large cuts like t-bones, leave as is. You can also lightly pound the meat to make it an even thickness instead of tying. This is for presentation and more importantly, even cooking.

Next thing is to heat up your pan. Use an oil that has a high smoking point. Olive/canola/vege oil is good. Extra virgin is not. For extra colour/browning/flavour, you can add a touch of butter. Heat the oil until its almost smoking. You should hear the meat sizzle as it hits the pan. Wiggle the meat to make sure it doesn't stick.

When the meat hits the pan, sear all around. This helps retain juices. Brown the steak presentation side down until the desired colour. Then turn it over and sear the other side. Then sear the sides and edges as well. Basically colour the exterior at the highest heat you can and in the shortest time possible.

The next step is to place the meat into an already warm oven. The ideal temp. is typically 180-200 degrees celsius. This allows the meat to cook evenly. 250 would dry out the outside and 150 would take too damn long.

To test for doneness, you can press the meat at its thickest point and compare it to your hand. Hold your index finger to your thumb and then press on your palm just below the thumb. This is rare. The middle finger is medium rare, ring finger is medium well and pinky is well done. The difference is the firmness. Remember that if your steak has the bone on, it takes longer to cook through, particularly at the bone. Another thing to do is to stab your meat. If the juices run clear, its cooked. If there's a ton of blood, it needs more time. If nothing comes out, it's gone.

Take the meat out the oven and off the pan and place it in a warm place. A cool (50 degrees) oven is ideal or near the stove. Cover the meat with foil to retain heat. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes. Resting the meat allows the muscle fibres to relax and equalizes the internal juices. The meat is still warm from the oven so it continues to cook as its resting. Its still warm after its done resting.

If you have small/thin pieces of meat or no oven, you can basically cook one side until the meat colours up to halfway, flip it until desired doneness and rest.

I do not suggest eating anything scorching. If the food is at a high temperature, your taste buds will struggle with the heat rather than taste anything. Resting meat does not mean letting it get cold Its an important step in cooking meat and skipping it gets you poorer results.

There are other methods of cooking a steak that involve microwaves, lasers and blowtorches but this method is the simplest, most effective, straightforward and easy to perform by anyone with a stove and a pan.

Guest sousvide

i ate some good stuff today, some quince jelly doughnuts, some sunchoke risotto with smoked duck coppa, and some sousvide leg of venison. all in a days work.

I want nooodles though....

fuckin hell plongin. go japan boh jio!?!?!??!?!!? you better damn well show us the food you're eating there to make up for it.

lunch at home yesterday:

wayet1205pw6.jpg

bak kut teh (spicy/herbal pork rib soup) noodles

lunch at home today (mum says we are almost done with clearing the old stock from the fridge. she also said we could survive a war for three years holed up at home. i agree. but only if we still have internet connection.)

wayet1206aww1.jpg

wayet1206bog1.jpg

wayet1206ccv3.jpg

canteloupe steamed cakes (gift from japan)

free tapas dinner at work:

wayet1206dmh7.jpg

McDelivery for lunch:

wayet1207axs1.jpg

wayet1207bsr9.jpg

Chicken Foldover, McCrispy (chicken wings), Fillet-O-Fish, Fries (with Seaweed Shaker Condiment for all that msg goodness).

I actually like Macs. Didn't have my usual double cheeseburger though.

buffet dinner at work:

wayet1207cjr0.jpgand yes, i went back for seconds...

shared it with my family. that's a lot of fries, even for a big eater like me.

it might seem like an epicurean blasphemy, but i like mcdonald's. it's more than just some fastfood junk to me. there's a good deal of sentimentality attached to eating there. i'd eat it anyday.