SNUG (Private Forum)

HEWSINATOR

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

K gents grace me with an invite to the illustrious and graceful SNUG please .

What happens in the snug stays in the snug no leaking of said infos here ..

good day gents

Some folks are actually leaving? OH GOD, whatever will we do? PFFT..give me a break. Let me be the first to bid you adieu, so long and sayonara...

Fact of life, when things get a bit nasty, some people run, and some people take a stand. Im not going to let a few bad eggs ruin it for me, Im staying on the future.

Fact of life, when things get a bit nasty, some people run, and some people take a stand. Im not going to let a few bad eggs ruin it for me, Im staying on the future.

surely you mean the superfuture?

i'd be all for the SNUG, but my 60+ posts are definitely not gonna cut it. so obviously i'm against it (for now).

surely you mean the superfuture?

i'd be all for the SNUG, but my 60+ posts are definitely not gonna cut it. so obviously i'm against it (for now).

I've got nothing against SNUG itself, if some people want to run thinking theyre going to build a safe haven there from trolls, so be it, that's their prerogative. And as far as the post count thing goes... is that really a requirement over there? I would hope not, since it is clearly evidenced on various internet BBS' (including here), that while some people have such high volumes and #'s of posts, they certainly dont have much to say.

come to think of it, i haven't really much to contribute to an elite forum

on faust-forum, i can only muster a post a day, tops. but then again, there isn't a denim subforum there

i thrive on trash

i like the idea of a speakeasy for under-the-table transactions and such (i am thinking of jeans, TYVM), but i guess that's what PMs are for.

I'm not going to go on about how I think this is "retarded" or "gay" or some old bullshit. I will say however, that the idea of this is completely uninteresting to me. I can see why people would like this, but I can't seem to comprehend it.

I don't live my life this way, and I sure as fuck don't want to spend my 8 hours a day paid internet time like this either (then again, I'm not the type who would ever refer to a web forum as a place to "hang out". If I ever do, kill me.)

If you can't navigate your way through an intelligent discussion without being cloistered away in your hightower, you and I probably dont have much to talk about anyway. I've always prided myself on being honest, articulate, and above all understanding. I can be vehement about my points at times, but what fun is a disscussion without passsionate views anyway?

From the little time of spent here, it seems that most of the people posting in this thread navigate the boards just fine as is. Do I think a thread where established members jerk each other off for "rep" is as childish as the 10th one about "APC sizing"? Probably more so.

DDML and OMC, your post counts are a direct result of doing things that wouldn't be allowed in your little "Snug". If you could take it all back would you?

Fuck no.

You wouldn't.

Because you and others like you appreciate your contributions, multifaceted, immature, or intelligent as they may be.

Don't leave the plebes behind to starve...

lest they be at your door weeks from now with machetes, maws a gape, with an appetite for your flesh.

Now if you wanna talk about a spell check function....shit, I'm all for it.

Done.

I'd like to throw my 2 cents in here while I can. I don't think a private forum would solve superfuture's decay. Essentially what you'd be doing is creating a brain drain, or relevant post-drain, from the public forums. What it sounds like, reading a lot of these posts, is that there are a bunch of guys(gals) who just want to chat with some of their friends they've made on here without the public reading about it. That's fine, and I don't have any criticism for that, but does it deserve its own sub-forum?

I think RobbertJan and DDML made an interesting point about other forums. Smaller, more specific fashion forums shouldn't be considered some elite place to post. I think they just cater to those who are interested in a different type of fashion... nothing wrong with that. I think that these types of places might come off as elite with the almost negative amount of trash posting. The user-base is smaller, and the amount of useless posts (this is obviously subjective) is quite a bit lower as well. However, DDML, while joking, said that he thrives on trash. This could be the case with a lot of SF's current members. Look around and count the number of actual informative posts. Their daily numbers are quite low. Again, this is just a natural evolution of a forum as a lot of topics have already been covered.

Sorry for my digression, but this brings me back to the original topic. I don't necessarily think a sub-forum would solve any problems. I think everyone (no one specifically) needs to make a more conscious effort not to promote trolling etc etc in order to change SF to "the way it used to be."

Edit: Raised by wolves, great post.

I used to post a lot at iPod lounge, and it got "over run" with new members/idiots (not saying they are synonymous). Any discussion one tried to have was quickly filled with nonsense; be it iPod related or political, or what. We have supertrash, but that gets derailed quickly and does not really suit this purpose, but what about a place for serious discussions amongst older/more active/proven members?

There they made the "snug" (something to do with old scottish pub backrooms or something) where you had to be invited to view. Here we could discuss things without them being completely public. A store will still sell you jeans with tabs and you do not want to cause trouble, post it in the snug ( an illustrative example).

Want to have an educated debate about the war...post there.

I think you get the idea, would this be something you would be interested in?

BAD IDEA. especially since you'd decide who to let in by looking at their post count; in this place it seems that in most cases the value added by each member is inversely proportional to how many posts they have.

if you're gonna create a secret forum, keep it SECRET. I don't want to hear or read about internet-elitism, so embarrasing.

I'm not going to go on about how I think this is "retarded" or "gay" or some old bullshit. I will say however, that the idea of this is completely uninteresting to me. I can see why people would like this, but I can't seem to comprehend it.

well, you were raised by a wolves...:)

edited for clarity

I've been in sites where this ind of thing existed before, and tobe honest it did create a good amount of elitest snobs and the like. On a different forum anonymous viewing of 95% of stuff was banned (here probably everything exceot superjetset) and the mods were a lot harser on idiots and dumb threads and awnsers, if you posted crap you should expect consequences. This seemed to work a lot better but it meant that interested and intellgent people still could easily access the site. I only joined up recently, but if all the good content went "exclusive" and i couldn't access anything except endless nobbs asking about the sizing of ther New Standards then...

I don't live my life this way, and I sure as fuck don't want to spend my 8 hours a day paid internet time like this either (then again, I'm not the type who would ever refer to a web forum as a place to "hang out". If I ever do, kill me.)

If you can't navigate your way through an intelligent discussion without being cloistered away in your hightower, you and I probably dont have much to talk about anyway. I've always prided myself on being honest, articulate, and above all understanding. I can be vehement about my points at times, but what fun is a disscussion without passsionate views anyway?

I've been thinking about a way to express how I feel about this idea, but now there is no need. RBW said it. That just doesn't sound like any fun to me and I think it would actually take away from what SF is.

Then again - most of the people who are probably thought to be the "elite" on here aren't really that interesting anyway, so I won't be sad to see them go.

The smartest, most interesting people on here are the ones who have fun with all the bullshit and contribute thoughtfully when need be. Those who are offended for whatever reason by some of the content on here are taking themselves and this board way to seriously. They should thinking about other pursuits that will satisfy their need for companionship, conversation or whatever it is they're after.

-How about at least an off topic that is not supertrash?

-I think supertrash has contributed to this "juvenile" behavior.

-I agree that on here post count is not a good indicator, over at iLounge I believe some posts did not count, for example, the ones in supertrash would not contribute. As such, posts are then generally indicative of value.

Minya, if you care to, could you say why this would have to be off-site; why this is something the site would not be interested in?

Cheers, and at minimum I think in this thread some issues were discussed.

Matt

Those who are offended for whatever reason by some of the content on here are taking themselves and this board way to seriously. They should thinking about other pursuits that will satisfy their need for companionship, conversation or whatever it is they're after.

For me it is not a matter of being offended but having to go through it to get to something useful. Also, as I mentioned, I think a good off topic would be a nice start.

• 1 month later...

If a secret forum means the end of cheapmotherfucker, cultpop, poly800, bizzy, and minya, I'm all for it. Anyone concerned about the future of this forum, their postcount, or their online rep should be bound and shipped away. Let the dangerous classes do what they will.