Idiots on E-bay

englandmj7

Have any of you ever messaged the person who won an auction you were bidding on for any reason?

I have felt compelled on several occasions. Most of these, however, have been instances when I was bidding on a generic item available EVERYWHERE in hopes of getting it for a cheaper price (an Xbox game, whatever). Last week, I bid on separate auctions for pairs of a standard color of Levis 511 skinny jeans and twice the ending price has been more than they retail for in stores and online.

Seriously, I just want to email these people and let them know that they are fucking idiots and are ruining e-bay for everyone. The fact that you bought a pair of jeans available at every department store in the world and on all of Levis.com's international websites for more than they retail for makes you a goddamn idiot.

The fact that you bought a pair of jeans available at every department store in the world and on all of Levis.com's international websites for more than they retail for makes you a goddamn idiot.

Unless of course their final price on ebay is less than what it would cost them to buy it in store when you include taxes or online (with shipping and duty).

Or it could be because that particular size or item is sold out in their local stores.

Or any number of other plausible reasons.

I live in Norway and buy quite a lot from Ebay. Everything retails far more expencive here than in the US, normal 501's retails around $130 and other models up to $200. The same goes for other brands, nothing special about Levis.

Many US shops does not ship to Norway, and for all packages above $30 we have to pay 25% in taxes and $15 in customs fee.

I see 501's costs about $50 at the levisstore, but even if they provide worldwide shipping it would cost me $77+shipping to get it here. 99% of all ebay sellers claims a lower price on the package or marks it as a gift on demand, so even at $60 it comes of cheaper.

I've messaged a couple of times. Mostly it is of the "if it doesn't fit you, please allow me the opportunity to buy it off you." I also get these quite often after I've won an item. Just happened on my last auction win.

I did message someone who paid like 50 beans more for a Salvage jacket than retail. Pointed out that revolve had the same jacket and was much cheaper.

Unless of course their final price on ebay is less than what it would cost them to buy it in store when you include taxes or online (with shipping and duty).

Or it could be because that particular size or item is sold out in their local stores.

Or any number of other plausible reasons.

I always take that into consideration but this isn't the case with these particular items, which is why I was pissed. They are all over the internet for 25-50% less (including shipping and taxes) than what these two muffs paid. The jeans retail for $44 everywhere online ($35 at Macy's) and they sold for $75 with a $15 shipping fee..........

:(

I live in Norway and buy quite a lot from Ebay. Everything retails far more expencive here than in the US, normal 501's retails around $130 and other models up to $200. The same goes for other brands, nothing special about Levis.

Many US shops does not ship to Norway, and for all packages above $30 we have to pay 25% in taxes and $15 in customs fee.

I see 501's costs about $50 at the levisstore, but even if they provide worldwide shipping it would cost me $77+shipping to get it here. 99% of all ebay sellers claims a lower price on the package or marks it as a gift on demand, so even at $60 it comes of cheaper.

Yeah, I guess euro buyers are the exception in many cases. I know that often, the people who jack up the prices above retail for Xboxes/PS2s, etc. are foreign buyers who pay an arm and a leg in their country to get the same thing.

wtf, that's quite the markup.

its crazy how much more people pay for stuff. for one, free shit like magazines and stuff you can pick up, especially VICE, will sell. i would never sell fakes, but free stuff like this, i say is fair game.

that said, i've paid for back issues of FRANK, ANP and all kinds of free mags because i'm addicted to good print.

Another common situation is if you have a rare item that's in demand. I don't know if it's still the case, but for a while BAPE stuff was fetching prices far above retail on ebay. I'm guilty of picking up some art books and selling them on ebay for a pretty good profit. It all depends on what people want.

That said, paying more than retail for something readily available probably isn't the best of ideas.

I hate it when I'm winning an ebay auction, and some tard, offers the seller more than I have, and then I consequently lose the auction because I'm a tight arse...

So all buyers should stop using ebay NOW, then I can buy whatever the fuck I want for 0.01c...

that they are fucking idiots and are ruining e-bay for everyone.

I think the seller might disagree that these people are ruining shit...

eBay is the new international guide of an item's value...

I think the seller might disagree that these people are ruining shit...

eBay is the new international guide of an item's value...

I sell astronomical amounts of shit on e-bay, and mostly I just feel bad when some idiot spends way more than he should have on my stuff. Not so much because he could have gotten a better deal elsewhere, but mostly because the world is full of so many fucking retards that it gets tiresome.

shit that sucks. is that 25% VAT? i know in scandinavia the taxes are ridiculously high, but an additional $15 in customs? is that a flat rate?

this thread rules.

What do you guys think about people who lurk and jump in 30 seconds before the auction ends and bid at a higher amount than you did and gets it? I would have matched or up his offer but due to the timing, I lost the auction.

shit that sucks. is that 25% VAT? i know in scandinavia the taxes are ridiculously high, but an additional $15 in customs? is that a flat rate?

Yeah it's a flat rate customs fee they charge on all packages above $30 and packages from private persons marked gifts above $160. On some items there are even 10.2% customs on top of that, like clothing from some parts of the world. But still with all this extra it's almost always cheaper than buying it in local stores.

On the positive side, the local prices matches our good economy, so buying more expencive items on Ebay etc. isn't really a big difference from buying more affordable items locally.

Example: Insted of buying a pair of Levis priced $200 (normal price for Levis jeans here, I could get a couple of Diors for $250 buying them here or on Ebay.

What do you guys think about people who lurk and jump in 30 seconds before the auction ends and bid at a higher amount than you did and gets it? I would have matched or up his offer but due to the timing, I lost the auction.

that just means you didn't bid high enough. only way to prevent that is bid the MAX that you're willing to pay.

ps - sorry for sniping you.

^ sniping is what ebay is all about. unless you're a n00b, there's really no need to bid on an item until the last 30 seconds. i've been outsniped before. big deal. move on.

most auctions are fixed. all my friends, colleagues, neighbor's barber, etc have ebay accounts. everyone bids to help each other out. drives the price up. that suckers in the end n00b buyer to bid more than retail due to the "i've gotta outdo you" factor.

but yeah, back on topic... i did message an idiot who won something clearly overpriced. he messaged me back "why do you care?". then i realized - i dont. happy ebaying.

sniping is great for the bidder, shit for the seller. I sell more than I buy (and I don't get friends to bid on my auctions) so I probably get screwed over a lot with all the sniping going on.

the ebay idiots I can't stand are people who ask what the shipping cost is when it's clearly fuckin stated, but the worst are people who go out of their way to message you to offer $50 for a pair of $150 Air Jordans, what the fuck do you think I don't know what they're worth?? if you find someone offering ridiculous prices like that the best thing to do is to block their ID from bidding on your auctions.

that just means you didn't bid high enough. only way to prevent that is bid the MAX that you're willing to pay.

ps - sorry for sniping you.

The whole idea is getting it as cheap as possible.

I guess ebay is great for people who spend tons of time infront of their PC and can swoop in at last minute to get what they perceive as great bargains.

sniping is great for the bidder, shit for the seller. I sell more than I buy (and I don't get friends to bid on my auctions) so I probably get screwed over a lot with all the sniping going on. .

Snipping is great for the seller if it increases the value and the bidder must buy it or risk being blackballed or negative feedbacked.

i laugh my ass off about how dumb you are...

^ sniping is what ebay is all about. unless you're a n00b, there's really no need to bid on an item until the last 30 seconds. i've been outsniped before. big deal. move on.

most auctions are fixed. all my friends, colleagues, neighbor's barber, etc have ebay accounts. everyone bids to help each other out. drives the price up. that suckers in the end n00b buyer to bid more than retail due to the "i've gotta outdo you" factor.

but yeah, back on topic... i did message an idiot who won something clearly overpriced. he messaged me back "why do you care?". then i realized - i dont. happy ebaying.

pretty much the same as you said, real eBayers know to bid in the last 30 seconds. i hate seeing people bid days before an item is due to sell (unless i'm doing the selling).

if you notice, the people that bid early never seem to win a damn thing.

i've never mailed anyone but i've been damn close. i've written a message & been a click away before but then i come to my senses, breath deep & say f*ck it.

someones just bid on a tee i'm watching tonight, he won't win.