Idiots on E-bay

englandmj7

^ the general pattern on eBay is that the first bidder never wins the item. but you can't stop them from doing so. it's no big deal actually, every bid counts toward the final selling price.

if i'm the seller, i'll get worried if there isn't a single bid for days, even if there might be plenty of watchers. early bids at least make you know that your item can actually sell.

^ the general pattern on eBay is that the first bidder never wins the item. but you can't stop them from doing so. it's no big deal actually, every bid counts toward the final selling price.

if i'm the seller, i'll get worried if there isn't a single bid for days, even if there might be plenty of watchers. early bids at least make you know that your item can actually sell.

Actually by not bidding anything, I notice the sellers would just remove the item before its expiry or deal privately with a potential bidder because they are desperate that no one seems interested in their goods.

shit that sucks. is that 25% VAT? i know in scandinavia the taxes are ridiculously high, but an additional $15 in customs? is that a flat rate?

the customs duty in Ontario, Canada is 34% on anything over $30 pretty much

its a bitch and a half, but funny enough like he said, sometimes its STILL cheaper to order online

off topic, but i hate people who list things buy it now for around a dollar, and mark the shipping up to 30 dollars just so their listing gets ahead when organized by price.

oh that's actually a violation, you can hate on the seller by reporting the listing to ebay and it'll be taken down

REAL SELLERS remove the # of watchers view from the selling section of My eBay. DO IT, you'll be a better person for it and you won't be hating the people who are watching who'll never bid because you won't know they exist.

What do you guys think about people who lurk and jump in 30 seconds before the auction ends and bid at a higher amount than you did and gets it? I would have matched or up his offer but due to the timing, I lost the auction.

So what if you would have matched their price? They, err, I mean, I am the one who sat up (or woke up) at an ungodly hour to snipe your ass and get what I wanted. This is in part, part of what I like about Ebay. If you really want something you can either offer the buyer a BIN or snipe it up.

N.

oh that's actually a violation, you can hate on the seller by reporting the listing to ebay and it'll be taken down

No, actually E-bay does not discourage sellers making a little extra off of shipping. They can charge whatever they want to ship and if you choose to buy it it's your decision; they have no obligation to sell you an item for what you would like to pay for it. If you don't want to pay $30 shipping on a $1 item, don't buy it; no one is forcing you.

Thought I would dredge this thread up... I have to agree with england, I hate it when people drive up the price well over retail for things that can be found (even with a bit of searching) anywhere.

My little story: I often search ebay to add to my doom/metal/drone collection. I had found a seller selling a bunch of Boris imports, stuff that I've been looking around for and found under one seller. Needless to say, I let time wind down, and place my bid. Only to find that two other ebayers had already put a higher bid than I did. So I bid again, then again, then again, then again... up to $36.00 for a cd that goes normally for $25 retail (Boris with Michio Kurihara). I started bidding at $12. Pissed off....thereafter for every other cd, I kept raising the prices on these guys who probably placed a bid well over $50 each to piss them off. Eventually each cd well ended above retail $35+, with almost all of them starting at around $12-$15.

Yeah I'm an asshole, but shit this is taking the fun out of ebay.

So what if you would have matched their price? They, err, I mean, I am the one who sat up (or woke up) at an ungodly hour to snipe your ass and get what I wanted. This is in part, part of what I like about Ebay. If you really want something you can either offer the buyer a BIN or snipe it up.

N.

Then you would have got sniped and woke up early for nothing.

so this is kinda fucked up and I don't do this anymore because I just use a sniping program... . but if you use ebay often you will find that a good number of people (myself included) will bid at an odd number, like $12.67 or $135.53 to get past the $x.00 or $x.50 that may seem like standard bids. So every once in a while you will find some shit that you feel a deep need to bid on, you will then place your max bid but it will not be enough so you keep bidding $1 higher and higher to see how far you can go... well at some point the price will go from say $125.00 to $126.43 if say you place a bid at $126.00. Since this is already $30 above your limit you can stop now knowing that you have seriously fucked the original bidder and drove the price to his highest bid.

so this is kinda fucked up and I don't do this anymore because I just use a sniping program... . but if you use ebay often you will find that a good number of people (myself included) will bid at an odd number, like $12.67 or $135.53 to get past the $x.00 or $x.50 that may seem like standard bids. So every once in a while you will find some shit that you feel a deep need to bid on, you will then place your max bid but it will not be enough so you keep bidding $1 higher and higher to see how far you can go... well at some point the price will go from say $125.00 to $126.43 if say you place a bid at $126.00. Since this is already $30 above your limit you can stop now knowing that you have seriously fucked the original bidder and drove the price to his highest bid.

Haha! I dont bid in increments of $1. I bid in increments of say $20 or more.

Surprisingly the last higher bidder actually bid an astronimical amount on items that isnt' valued as much but yes, I did drove the price to his highest bid. But sadly if you play this game, you will get burnt if you end up the highest bidder.

I see nothing wrong with American sellers selling items for over msrp if they are cheap in the states, but relatively expensive overseas. Levis 511 jeans is a good example, since they really cost like 40usd in the states, but 130usd in Europe. So even after the taxes and shipping the savings for overseas customers are major.

But seeing stuff that is cheap and not limited in every continent having BIN for double the retail seems very dodgy to me. Are there really fools who would pay 60$ + shipping for a striped H&M hoody? :D

pretty much the same as you said, real eBayers know to bid in the last 30 seconds. i hate seeing people bid days before an item is due to sell (unless i'm doing the selling).

if you notice, the people that bid early never seem to win a damn thing.

If you only bid in the last 30 seconds, how do you avoid the event where your initial bid is lower than the other bidders' max bids and you don't have time to bid again or rather bid higher than their max?

I do bid early on some items if only just to get a feel for what the other bidders are willing to pay.

Most of the stuff I bid on in eBay is more of a want than a need. So if I'm interested in something, I bid early, bid once, and up to my reserve amount. If I don't win it, I don't give a fuck. I have better things to do than interupting my daily schedule so I can be by a computer for the last 30 seconds of an auction. On the plus side, I'm not sniping at the last minute and bidding purely on emotion, so there's no winner's curse/buyer's remorse. Plus, if it's a hot item.. chances are somebody else out there is waiting to snipe just like you.

Being non-American, yeah, I'm willing to pay higher amounts than most US customers. So I'm one of those fuckers you Yanks hate who bids high and fucks you over ;)