any fighters on here?

mizanation

MOTHERFUCKING blue belt nearly broke my ankle today. He decided to do a rolling toe hold from my open guard, as fast as he possibly could. I think it's only because I have extreme flexibility in that direction (I can stand with my heels together and literally have my toes pointing backwards) that stopped it from totally fucking me up. FUCK BLUE BELTS WHO LEARN MOVES FROM THE INTERNET AND "MMA" CLASSES!!!

reminds me of what happened out in a nearby gym a few months ago. guy started training there as a white belt and a few weeks in incorrectly applied some sweep he learned off youtube and tore a few ligaments in the knee of the guy who was rolling with him.

i'm surprised as a blue belt he still did that shit. i mean, white belt you can plead ignorance...but as a blue belt? shouldn't you already know how dangerous those sort of holds are? If i remember correctly, armbar is 5-6 seconds to break, but an ankle is 2-3 seconds?

Natse, you'd mentioned your a purple or brown in this thread earlier right?

He was probably just going for what he could on you, albeit in a very reckless manner.

Had a police detective crank a very shitty heel-hook on my once in no-gi, thankfully he didn't have it right so my ankle just popped a little at the time.

Felt good to jump all over his ass a little later down the road.

^Purple, I was wrong about him actually, he was one of the guys who got promoted to purple very recently so it's even worse! My ankle is just about OK now but it's not even a move we've been taught in class, I don't have a problem with leg locks as long as someone is given the time to tap.

I sparred with him again today and he'd definitely calmed himself down - I think my reaction to what happened made him realise what a stupid thing he did.

On a side note, I trained BJJ 6 times this week and P90x twice and now I feel like death! I have a free private lesson with my instructor next week which I'm really looking forward to and getting stuck on the same sweep on the same guy 5 or so times today has helped me decide what I want to work on for the private.

• 3 weeks later...

Haha shitty!

On another note, I have a light contact MMA tournament fight in the end of August...

My sensei wants me participating in light contact before full just to make sure I don't panic or choke under the pressure of a tournament.

Makes sense and I've been putting the same amount of effort in this as if it were full contact.

I also just ordered some MMA tournament legal gear with grappling shin protectors (Hayabusa). Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

starting to lose weight for a jiu jitsu tournament in long beachhh. good times, not. Here was my first try at a pankration tournament.

i lost this one but this was over a year ago. I hope i've gotten alot better.

7DcbDxQQa5Y

eXBZsv8qKpc

• 2 weeks later...

lulz, that was just a pic of a pomp (what that guy was going for i figured.)-- i realized that people might think it was me.

not really me :\

ive rolled with layrite (water soluable pomade) before and it just becomes a big mess afterwards. but a comb would do the trick.

my hair is more of businessman (kid on picture day ive been told) part down the side/combed back when i haz da pomadez.

so i have this dilemma (essay ensuing):

im currently training at the university campus rec BJJ class and im 1 of only two blue belts. the rest are beginner white belts.

when sparring, should i:

1) train like normal and try to tap everyone out?

2) or work with them/help them give them pointers?

keep in mind everyone is bigger than me and theyre all spastic/youtube whitebelts. ive been sorta doing an in between where i let them get me in a bad position (side control or something) and then i try to regain guard and sweep or whatever.

the thing is, the instructor (brown belt from a sorta not rival per se, school, but we don't get along that well) is always saying things like "lets see that tinguinha jiu jitsu" or "with that color on your belt i expect you to be tapping everyone out."

am i dick if i go ahead and just submit these guys right off the bat? i did that once to a guy and i felt bad (pulled guard and just gi choked him) because he didnt get to work any passing or guard breaking or anything.

If they're bigger than you, put them in your guard and work from there - be active with your guard and there'll be plenty of opportunity for them to pass and try to attack.

If they're your size or smaller then pick your weakest position and work from there, go for submissions but catch and release. If it's too easy then actively let them mount you or give them your back etc.

A whitebelt should be concentrating on defence really, they don't know enough from each position to do anything but spazz and if you play easy against them you're going to get injured. As they get better they'll be able to take advantage of any openings you purposely give them but that will come with time and drilling the movements.

IMO anyway...

^

working on that!

random awesome, bumming out experience the other night. was @ a local club checking out one of my friends' old school hip-hop night.

this very attractive, heavily tattooed girl came and sat next to me. she asked if i trained bjj. turns out she'd rolled w/ my at my school's sunday open mat a little over a year ago. when she asked if i still trained i told her it's been about a year b/c i don't have time w/ my taxi driving job. she said it was a shame b/c i was really good.

more motivation to get in to class @ least 1 day a week on my days off.

I tend to get little cocky kids in my Dojo (MMA Class tho)

I'm usually a nice guy and give them pointers but they eventually call me out and challenge me. I then tear them a new asshole just to make them respect me as a fighter, then if they arn't fucktards, I'm nice and help them work things out...

Terere seminar was good but not amazing, just had a free private with my instructor though which was unbelievably good. He taught me 6 sweeps from sitting guard and 2 variations of the Sao Paolo pass that he thinks are better than the version I currently use. Just spent 20 minutes writing them all down so I don't forget them!

Trying for a really full on week, Terere Monday lunchtime then a group class in the evening, private lesson today, 2 group classes tomorrow, no gi on Thursday, and a group class on Friday. Then collapse.

Someone else post something so I'm not just talking to myself!!

does anyone hear train at multiple schools?

i belong to tinguinha bjj, but ive taken a 5 month break due to finances etc. now that ive been training at the university i work at, the instructor here has invited me to come by his school and train..

and the guy i beat at pan ams, who also attends the university i work at, invited me to train at his school as well. check out a class or whatever for free.

so far ive just said i dont have time-- but really i dont think i should. is there any merit to my decision? or is training simply training and i should just get it for free anywhere i can?

i know a few nomad types (local pros) that just train at a place for free for as long as they can then move on to the next place that will let them train for free. seems kinda cool, but i dont think i would ever train at more than one school.

i hate gi

they look so badass, but i hate the feeling on my skin

anyone wear shoes for grappling? i want to get some wrestling shoes so bad for some reason.

Some places will call you a "creonte" (traitor) if you train at multiple places, especially if you compete.

Here is what a black belt instructor near me said on the matter...

"If you think you can train 2 nights a week at one BJJ club,and 2 nights a week at another BJJ club because it fits in really well with your schedule, and you are a competition fighter who represents one of the teams then you can fuck off. You are a traitor and you are only in it for yourself."