Repair gone wrong

AgentRed

Hey Everyone

I bought a pair of the lvc 1933 tow rope jeans (169 of 501!) and they looked like so:

0070020000032.jpg

And I loved them except for the gaping holes on the left leg. So, living in a large city in the United Kingdom, I took them to a local denim designer. Given that he ran his own shop, displayed in NY and London Fashion Week etc etc I hoped he would fix the holes painlessly. Which he did, as so:

189724037a3598643715b935764971l.jpg

I can't make these pictures smaller, bear with me, so the patch looked nice, he said he used a 1940's carpet method, preeeeetty interesting. Then I get home and check the legs. This is what the leg used to look like:

189724037a3598692219b407123766l.jpg

This is what it looks like now:

189724037a3598692578b787301880l.jpg

I cried, I screamed, I, unfortunately, checked the selvedge. Before:

189724037a3598644091b644096386l.jpg

After:

189724037a3598644527b138500343l.jpg

Is this supposed to happen when you repair jeans???? I paid him a lot of money to fix what were already very expensive jeans. I had the idea of taking a completely broken pair and nursing them slowly back to health but what monstrosity have I created?

Despair.

I only asked him to fix the patch and tread softly because he treads on my denim dreams and they are fragile like wooden japanese looms.

The 'before' pictures are of the untouched leg. If I'd had the hindsight to photograph the repaired leg earlier I might also have had the hindsight to check that man's credentials and provide him a sound cudgeling around his cotton filled ears.

Guest StuckOnStupid
check that man's credentials and provide him a sound cudgeling around his cotton filled ears.

brilliant. you'd have to call him a scoundrel or something too.

selvage itself looks undamaged in your pictures -- just overlock-stitched together for some weird reason(?).

if you can spare an inch or so of length, you could probably salvage things by having another tailor do an original hem, or just re-hem them with a chain stitch and trust that some of the crumpling would come back w/ future washes...

totally sucky, dude -- my condolences.

that's a totally bizarre "repair"

i hope you get your money back at least

can't say i understand why you bought jeans with a hole in them only to pay more to get said hole repaired, and then get upset because they were damaged in the process of the repair.

anyway, don't stress. they are just jeans.

And I loved them except for the gaping holes on the left leg. So, living in a large city in the United Kingdom, I took them to a local denim designer. Given that he ran his own shop, displayed in NY and London Fashion Week etc etc I hoped he would fix the holes painlessly.

Is this supposed to happen when you repair jeans???? I paid him a lot of money to fix what were already very expensive jeans. I had the idea of taking a completely broken pair and nursing them slowly back to health but what monstrosity have I created?

Despair.

first off tell us the name of this cat so we know who to avoid. also being famous doesnt make him good, and if he is as big as you say he is try to get your money back cause he should have known better.

I have no idea why he would mess with the selvedge when all you aksed him to do was patch a hole or two. :confused: He must have thought he was going above and beyond for you when all he ended up doing was messing it up. I would take them back and just ask him undo it, if possible.

that's just terrible. that man is a butcher. don't go back to him, he might end up torching them and asking you to pay him for doing it.

i'd say go to another tailor for a repair of those outseams. be so damn specific about what you want and DON'T want done that they almost hate you. be polite and everything, just get down to the most minute detail.

so sorry man.

What he did is open up the leg seam so that it would be easier to do the repair. But being a dipshit hack, he did not notice that when he put them back together one leg was different than the other leg. Have him unserge the outseam and restitch it like they are supposed to be stitched. Then reinforce the chainstitch hem so it doesn't unravel.

Hey everyone, much love fo' the support :D Thanks for letting me know these jeans are repairable, hope springs eternal (or hope springs superfuturely)

The designer was Joey D, I dunno if you've heard of him but the Financial Times were too flattering:

http://www.joey-d.co.uk/press.html

The review at the end is by Paul Dale, who runs a virtual monopoly on movie reviews in Edinburgh and, from every time I've spoken to him, is a dick. Have they formed a conspiracy? Should I get out of this country??!!?!?!

I don't know if i'll take them back to JD. I'll wait till i get to London and have someone take a look, is Matthew Williamson free these days?

And In response to

can't say i understand why you bought jeans with a hole in them only to pay more to get said hole repaired, and then get upset because they were damaged in the process of the repair.

I do get the circular irony here, maybe if Lvc had damaged the selvedge I would've said "Check out my frickin' askew leg!!!' But as it stands I'm just annoyed I paid for a job done badly when there's no reason he couldn't have done it properly.

You went to Joey D's on Broughton Street???

The man's a fanny!

Where in Edinburgh are you from?

There's a tailor on Thistle Street, can't remember the name but they to all the alterations for Xile.

Also, pop into Corniche on Jeffrey Street - they have their own tailor I believe and they're used to dealing with Vivienne Westwood, Yohji Yamamoto, Comme des Garcons, Jean Paul Gaultier etc.