in need of a new hairstyle

chizzua

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of layers, couple of inches long, flat fringe, textured on top. Grows out real nice, though turns into a bit mullet after about 3 months. Needs to be poker straight though, otherwise it looks like shit.

Being a student it's much more economical to get a decent haircut every few months than run to the barbers all the time.

I've decided to celebrate the first day of spring with a new haircut/style. I'll be cutting my shoulder length hair! I want to go for a medium length cut, but more on the short side. Like, eyebrow length in the front, ears on the sides maybe... Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to go there not knowing what to do! Might go to Hairmates actually. Any ideas are welcome, thanks.

Sounds exactly like what I just posted. Get it layered throughout, your jawbone is a good point of reference for the back and side layers, flat fringe, textured all over. Asides from keeping it straight, it's really low maintenance, much more so than shoulder length for sure.

Oh, and for the guys with horrid whiteboy curls complaining about them, just get some fucking straighteners already. Everyone does it these days, and no you won't magically grow a vagina.

two things about cutting asian hair:

-extreme point cut

-thining sheers

cpaik, not the greatest execution on the mohawk imo. looks too clunky, and like it has too much product in it. needs more texture, which is hard to get with asian hair. when i had my fauxhawk mullet combo, i never need much hair clay at all.

Sounds exactly like what I just posted. Get it layered throughout, your jawbone is a good point of reference for the back and side layers, flat fringe, textured all over. Asides from keeping it straight, it's really low maintenance, much more so than shoulder length for sure.

Oh, and for the guys with horrid whiteboy curls complaining about them, just get some fucking straighteners already. Everyone does it these days, and no you won't magically grow a vagina.

Alright. Thanks for the advice.

But as far as straightening, if you guys feel its too girly, you can blow dry with a striaghtening balm, I know Bedhead makes a good one, Redken makes 05 Straight, and Matrix makes the Extreme Styling Creme from the Sleek look line. Very good products, I have used them all instead of straightening, but if you use the wrong ammount, you can be left incredibly greasy by the end of the day, or even the end of school :D Seriously, nothing will beat straightening, except perhaps chemical straightening.

chizzua, i think # 3 and 4 looks best. i would go for a shorter version of 3 with lots of texture. keep bangs same length if not longer.

It's hard to keep up with a short haircut when I only get home once every month or two.. plus texturing is hard with my hair. Any other suggestions? I want to try something new. :\

If you need a straightener, the local hair salon in Greenwood, North Sydney has GHD's on sale, bring in your old broken/working curling iron/straightener and they'll knock $75 off the $299 price tag.

Are all hair straighteners alike? Is a professional hair straightener worth it or should I just go with any old brand? Any suggested brands that are not too over the top expensive ? I see a bunch of dirt cheap ones on eBay but I'm not too convinced about their quality.

Are all hair straighteners alike? Is a professional hair straightener worth it or should I just go with any old brand? Any suggested brands that are not too over the top expensive ? I see a bunch of dirt cheap ones on eBay but I'm not too convinced about their quality.

Ask any girl and they will spend the extra dosh for the more professional/reputable brand.

Choose one that doesn't use steam, or else you'd be having droplets of boiling water on your arms.

GHD is the way to go. If you end up with a cheapie, you may regret it in the long run.

I am currently in a hairstyle transition phase. After rockin the buzz cut for the better part of this decade i'm letting my hair grow out a bit (but not too much). Lately i really like the way my hair looks when i've been wearing a beanie around for a while. Like normally it's spikey, but after the beanie it's pressed flat and moves forward. It's still short, but looks more mature and works well as a nice progression from my youthful buzz cut which really gives me a baby face...i'm gonna keep this one around for a while.

I'm also looking for a new hairstyle. I have long straight black hair. I think i have enough hair to do do almost anything. lol I don't want it too long anymore. I looking for something stylish but clean. I also don't like it real short, no buzz or shave or short spikey. pics would help out alot too.

I balled out and got the gf a CHI ceramic straightening iron on ebay. according to her, it's worlds apart from the cheapo kind that she was used to. definitely spend the extra dough and get good equipment; it does a much better job, doesn't fry your hair (as much), and its results last longer through the day

I balled out and got the gf a CHI ceramic straightening iron on ebay. according to her, it's worlds apart from the cheapo kind that she was used to. definitely spend the extra dough and get good equipment; it does a much better job, doesn't fry your hair (as much), and its results last longer through the day

Holy shit. I was going to post something about a CHI. Stop copying me (see Blue Chair and Classic car barn post)

But he's right, ceramic is the way to go. It disperses the heat more evenly as to not burn your hair. Also, they heat up amazingly fast. I would actually recommend the HAI Stik (stupid name, I know.) CHI performace but way cheaper (~60US Ebay).

two things about cutting asian hair:

-extreme point cut

-thining sheers

cpaik, not the greatest execution on the mohawk imo. looks too clunky, and like it has too much product in it. needs more texture, which is hard to get with asian hair. when i had my fauxhawk mullet combo, i never need much hair clay at all.

hailxenu, i'm an asian DIY haircut guy and looking for a new or slightly different style. can you explain the extreme point cut you are talking about, and how to go about that (pics would be cool), I'll google the thinning sheers myself. oh and I agreee about your comment on the first mohawk, too much product. Too shiny and too much stiffness looks kinda fobbish to me, just my opinion (and from personal experience too).

also american crew pomade and fiber works pretty well with my hair (pomade when it's short and fiber when it's longer), experiment with the amount you use as too much is not always good, the hold is not the greatest so when i think i got it to perfection I do a quick over with hair spray. hope this helps

coudn't find pics on the web. i cut my own hair too, but it takes two mirrors to cut the back. fucking up is ok because cuttin gyour hair this way hides mistake cause there is so much texture:

howtocut.gif

when using the thinning sheers, grab a chuck of hair, twist it around to make like a tee-pee of hair, and start at the base of the tee-pee and snip from the root up a couple of times. works like a charm.

coudn't find pics on the web. i cut my own hair too, but it takes two mirrors to cut the back. fucking up is ok because cuttin gyour hair this way hides mistake cause there is so much texture:

when using the thinning sheers, grab a chuck of hair, twist it around to make like a tee-pee of hair, and start at the base of the tee-pee and snip from the root up a couple of times. works like a charm.

thx for the detailed sketch, seeing as how I already have some thinning shears (didn't know what they were called), I'm gonna try this the next time I cut my hair. If i'm bored I'll take some before and after pics, but currently my hair looks like ass so I dunno.