football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

Ugh, I'm getting sick of reading all this bitching and moaning about how terrible the ref was. Seriously, Chelsea fans. You're conveniently forgetting about the red card given to Barca. You also seem to think that because two decisions that could have gone either way came out in favor of the other team, there is some sort of UEFA conspiracy against the EPL (and we all know hand ball decisions are notoriously inconsistent in UEFA football, which is something the UEFA should really look at. the rules are not exactly crystal clear).

What you REALLY should be concerned about is the fact that your players are an absolute disgrace to the sport, Drogba and Ballack in particular. There is no excuse for their behavior. Even if the ref gave your entire team a red card for farting too loud, there is no excuse for such behavior. Add to that the fact that Drogba falls like a sack of potatoes whenever a defender breaks wind within a 20 foot radius of him, and you have only yourselves to thank.

The ref most certainly did not have had the best day on the job, but he stood up to a field full of primadonna players talking back and trying to influence every decision. That alone is commendable.

Lastly, 180 minutes of defending, even if the defending rivals that of the spartans at thermopylae, still makes for shit football.

That is all. Thank you for your attention.

Unless you're put into that very situation, I think it's hard to comment really. This isn't a Sunday kick-around, this is the coming together of pretty much your whole life and of course you will become emotional when you feel it has unjustly been taken away from you.

I think that yes they are "professionals" and with it comes the necessary action of being a roll-model, but we all slip up, physical and mentally.

hmmm, weren't you saying you were ashamed to be from the same country as the ref? methinks you have an identity crisis.

That was after the red card situation and long before Chelsea started running around like madmen, pulling ref's shirt, screaming that he was a "fucking disgrace" into his face, and punching walls centimeters from ref's face. All while ref kept his cool.

If you read my post, you would have seen that I admitted he had a poor day at the job. The thing here is that there is a larger issue of how ref's are treated and a pervasive culture of poor sportsmanship. Chelsea is pretty much the epitome of that right now, and UEFA needs to handle it.

Ugh, I'm getting sick of reading all this bitching and moaning about how terrible the ref was. Seriously, Chelsea fans. You're conveniently forgetting about the red card given to Barca. You also seem to think that because two decisions that could have gone either way came out in favor of the other team, there is some sort of UEFA conspiracy against the EPL (and we all know hand ball decisions are notoriously inconsistent in UEFA football, which is something the UEFA should really look at. the rules are not exactly crystal clear).

What you REALLY should be concerned about is the fact that your players are an absolute disgrace to the sport, Drogba and Ballack in particular. There is no excuse for their behavior. Even if the ref gave your entire team a red card for farting too loud, there is no excuse for such behavior. Add to that the fact that Drogba falls like a sack of potatoes whenever a defender breaks wind within a 20 foot radius of him, and you have only yourselves to thank.

The ref most certainly did not have had the best day on the job, but he stood up to a field full of primadonna players talking back and trying to influence every decision. That alone is commendable.

Lastly, 180 minutes of defending, even if the defending rivals that of the spartans at thermopylae, still makes for shit football.

That is all. Thank you for your attention.

I think you are missing the point. The point is the number of incidences which warranted a penalty but the referee seems adamant not to give any penalties no matter what. The papers reported 2 clear incidence. I think Pique’s handball definitely is a penalty but the rest can be borderline since it is not clear from the referee’s perspective. While Abidal’s red card was in Chelsea’s favour, it was not a penalty and it never change their game plan of not going all out for the second goal for fear of Barca punishing them for the open space given to them.

Chelsea is to be blamed for their strategy of defending as number one priority and counter attacking or giving a quick pass forward if you can. I don’t think trying to get penalties in order to get your goals is a good strategy.

Chelsea is to be blamed for not controlling their players but that is a bit understandable given how the game panned out. BTW, I don’t recall all the players crowding the referee when penalties were not given which Chelsea loved to do before BPL’s respect campaign. I do recall Barca doing the same thing.

i dont know why i have never posted here...but im super siked this forum exists.

I just made a REAL soccer as the goalie in the Ontario soccer league. Now i get to play 6 nights a week.

WOLVERHAMPTON BACK IN THE PREMIER...SO SIKED TO GET TO WATCH THE GAMES NOT ON THE NET.

I watched a similar video with the US WNT... I think they had to turn on the flood flights they were there that long... oh yeh and they were hitting it from the 18 haha.

I guess strikers have no need to hit a long ball, but I would have expected better from the GKers, hitting deadballs are their life.

being a madrid supporter it is a dark day in futbol. first el copa del rey, la liga and now this...the only thing good about to today was Ronaldo in the all white (possible foreshadowing). felt bad for the guy today, he was the only one on his team that actually showed up to play.